Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#673799 Thu Dec 08 2016 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I got an early Christmas present this week that I could really do without, a case of the shingles! It is the most uncomfortable affliction I think I've ever experienced. I have it on one side of my head and a streak that runs down to my eyelid. Doctor has me on an antiviral med and the eye doctor says it isn't in the eye itself so its just a matter of touching it out I guess. Nothing seems to help too much but if I keep slamming Motrin every six hours the pain stays tolerable. If anybody has a good home remedy I'm all ears....! GB

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's the gift that keeps on giving. smirk

I'm 53,and got nailed for the first time in my life last winter..
I was stunned as I did have chicken pox as a kid,and thus the virus was sleeping in me all these years.
The small red bumps were so painful,I couldn't even put on my shirt.
My next door neighbor is a nurse,saw me struggling and asked me why.
When I showed her,she said go the grocery store & get plain ordinary (not fat free) Yogurt,and diaper rash paste.
Mix a small 50/50 ratio in a cup and smear it all over the affected area,my sides & back.
Within hours/days the swelling went down and it began drying out the rash & turned it into scabs..But you have to be religious with applying it 2-3 times a day..Morning-noon-night,and make sure you EAT lots of plain yogurt as well,to dry it out from the inside too.I had to designate a couple of OLD ratty shirt t-shirts to wear,as this is a Paste and will stick to anything it touches.
Google what foods to EAT & AVOID when you have shingles,as this is extremely important for you right now.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good to know, thanks Cold Pizza.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for your story Rick. The yogurt mix is one I haven't heard yet. The majority of mine is already starting to dry out and scab over but it started on Saturday so I'm almost a week into it now. The worst part of where mine is is my eyelid and it's hard to put much on it in that spot. Bad as it is on my head, I think it's almost better than being on your body and have the clothes constantly irritating it. Not fun wherever it is, that's for sure! I hope we don't get it again, but my doc says there's no guarantees there either. Also, no one has said anything about diet so that I'm looking in to. If you haven't had this and have had chickenpox, get the vaccine while you can!!! That said though, a friend of ours had the shot and came down with them two weeks later. Go figure.....

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Read Here----> http://cookforgood.com/blog/2014/6/19/what-to-eat-if-youve-got-shingles.html

And the vaccine will not prevent someone from getting it later,it'll just make it less severe IF they do.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just checking in - how are you doing?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved