Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

So I think I know the answer but I'm interested in more details. The addiction has hit, and I purchased my second Southwest Gulf pump in as many months. This one has a price per gallon sticker right under the computer readout. I assume this was for when gas went over a buck a gallon, but I don't see the other stickers reflecting price displayed is half, etc. Is this something where the guy wrote the price in grease pencil under the computer price everyday for warm and fuzzies?

2nd question: Is that maximum permissible price/octane sticker something that came from Gulf? I peeled one off my Georgia pump, but now seeing it on a TN pump makes me think it may be more widespread.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bamawildcat; Sat Dec 03 2016 08:51 PM. Reason: Pic

All the information I've compiled for Southwest Gulf ETA1 pumps:
http://1964buick.com/gas_pump/gas_pump.htm
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Can I use some of the pictures on your website in my up and coming 3rd Edition of the Gas Pump book?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it has the price per gallon sticker because that is at a time when Gas went to over $1.00 per gallon, I remember at my Dads station setting the meter to .52 when gas was $1.04 and having to double the price shown on meter.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
OP Offline
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
Can I use some of the pictures on your website in my up and coming 3rd Edition of the Gas Pump book?

Jack Sim

Absolutely. Anything that isn't mine on the page has the source below it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I believe the pump on your website dated May of 1965 was remanufactured to its current appearance, sometime in the early 1970s...Gulf standards in 1965 spec'd the straight-sided, rounded stainless top variety, and I've seen pumps dated as late as 1968 in that style...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Sun Dec 04 2016 02:43 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
OP Offline
After further research I figured this tidbit out. The computer on the pump is a VR 2002. It will price up to $1.99/gal, but for whatever reason, didn't have the wheel marked for $1, even though that wheel is present on the front and back. This tripped me out the first time I spun it and the math didn't match gallons x price. Maybe they wanted the station to buy an "upgrade" for the dollar wheel marking. So I'm guessing anytime the price went above $1.00, they wrote it on the pump. It would still do the math correctly, just didn't show the $1 numeral on the computer.

E
E
The $1 number was silk screened, it would fade and disappear due to sunlight and being exposed to weather.

Last edited by Eugene; Thu Dec 08 2016 06:35 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By Eugene
The $1 number was silk screened, it would fade and disappear due to sunlight and being exposed to weather.

Thanks for posting that. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why there was a wheel with no number, yet all over the internet it said the computer would price to $1.99.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved