Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was a guy years ago that made Texaco, phillips, esso and conoco water transfer decals. You could cut the meter off a texaco and install on a set and not tell the difference on a water transfer. Paper decals are a different story.

I am with Jim... heat stamped and installing a new meter wasn't as big of an issue but trying to glue paper photo copies don't look very good.

I am against making esso in to carter or something rare. That is plain wrong.

Kim, I would rather own original bodies on my globes and some it doesn't mater if body is real or not. Same concept... up to the collector.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
M
Interesting thread. Years ago a friend & former landlord bought several sets of Esso {I think} S&P shakers. One or two had decent faces on them. Knowing I tinkered with models & artwork he asked me if I could make better ones. Another friend worked at a print shop & scanned/copied a good one. He made me copies & they didn't turn out too bad. IIRC though he printed them on a clear vinyl so it was obvious they were not like the originals. Am I correct in assuming the originals were a water slide type decal?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I really don't understand the mentality of some collectors who feel it is OK to replace the decals on S&P shakers, but God forbid any of us purchases a sign made in India. We are always talking about the next person who purchases anything, so how can we condone putting decals on S&P shakers as ok, but again pointing out every repro sign coming out of India?

S&P shakers are called "Smalls." Many of us collect smalls. It just happened that S&P shakers cought on more with collectors of say pens or pencils. We can't alter pens or pencils, so how can we say it is OK to alter a S&P shaker?

I have been a collector of just about anything petro for almost 30 years. Recently I was at a auction where three oil bottles were put up for sale. I bid and purchased them, thinking even though I was stepping out of my field of gas pumps, I knew that they were a good buy. I brought them home, looked them up and realized all three were reproductions. I will not sell them, as I will not take advantage of anyone who knows even less about oil bottles than I do.

If I can be taking advantage of, what about the next guy who purchases a S&P shaker with a repro decal on it?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved