Next Thread
Print Thread
#660709 Wed Jul 13 2016 06:01 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Well, even though in many ways this means ***** to me right now, I'm sitting here bored, trying to keep my mind occupied, and I figured I might as well get back on the horse, if even only for a few minutes.

With all that was going on these have just been sitting in the basement. I bought these a little while ago on craigslist out of state, from a guy who was selling them as repop. Got them shipped, in my hands, dirt cheap. He said they fooled him at first. Not sure what he meant by that.
Figured as repops they would be great for a future outside pump some day. I mean they look amazing.
But now that they're in my hands, I just don't know if they are repop.
They do have the little centering notches in the frit at 6 o'clock if that means anything.
Although there is a little offset or non-parallelism in the colors, my so called known originals aren't perfect.
Of course this is hard to photograph and give opinion without you holding them in your hands.
Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

IMG_20160713_072443526 (2).jpg IMG_20160713_072531342 (2).jpg IMG_20160713_072554128 (2).jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Wed Jul 13 2016 06:03 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The back look right, I guess I would be fooled too. I would say they are real looking at the pictures. Years ago there were some repoped lenses made that looked original not like todays repops. Maybe this is one of them. I don't know. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess my first question is what size are they because looking at the photos, they look right. But as you say holding them in my hands would help. I would check with Scott or Lonnie to be sure.
The 15" repop ones have a thicker looking band around the outside and all the ones I have seen are marked.

Keeping you in our prayers my friend!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
They're basically 15". Maybe just a hair under. Like 14 15/16".

Thanks Mike!! It's beyond tough!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They sure look right. My set of those that is the earlier logo has the same marks at 6 oclock. I'm far from an expert on them though. Good to see you back Steve, hang tough my friend....Gary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad to see ya back Steve, our thoughts are with you. I'm not an expert either but they do look good or one excellent job of reproducing.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The colors look right. The backs are right. They have the alignment notch. They look right to me.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Pulling up this thread from the past. Several of you mentioned "the backs look right", what would a 'wrong' back look like?

Steve Coppens
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Back on some of the earlier repop lenses looked like heavy overspray of white to me. Maybe some of the other guys will comment on this.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From what I have learned, and as Wocopep said, the repop backs almost always have a white spray on them. I am no expert either, however I don't know of any repops without the white spray, maybe someone else can share if there are repops without that spray. What about those older repops dated in the 1980's and 90's, do they have the white spray?

...And for that matter, what about the reverse situation. Are there original globes that would have a white spray?

And Steve, don't confuse the white spray with the powdery chalky white "dust" that forms on real globes over time.

Steve, when you stop by tomorrow, remind me to show you some of my globes, and I will show you the difference.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Mar 31 2017 05:10 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many, not all fakes look mostly white from the back as opposed to being able to clearly see the other colors.
Some, but not many originals have a similar white back.

The best education you can get on globes and signs is to see as many originals as you can in person. That means going to shows, petroliana auctions, and looking at globes and signs in collections.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved