Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
I had posted the below comment under Bob's thread on Associated Air signs, but for those that may skip a topic because the brand discussed isn't their brand I am posting this under a Mobil heading as well.
Darin

"You can add the Mobiloil plates to the list now too....Dan and I discussed them today. eBay item 262482969256. This curved one is also a repro, item 222153608855.

In my 10+ years specializing in Mobil, I have never seen an original Mobiloil plate dated any year but IR46.

Unbelievable....I was just on eBay to get another item number and yet ANOTHER shows up with the IR40 date, eBay item 262487238869!
I looked at their other items and this Mobilfuel is fake too...eBay item 262487234676.

I just can't believe it anymore guys, I'm almost speechless right now. Four new Mobil repros in the last 2 months! Metro, restroom, Mobiloil, and "thin border" Mobilfuel, even though the border is too thick on the repro. frown
Darin

Last edited by Oldgas; Thu Jun 23 2016 07:55 PM. Reason: Edit Subject line at author's request
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah I agree with you my friend. Horrible that this is happening. Glad I got all mine prior to these surfacing the market.
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Darrin & Dan,

I can see the sign below to be new Repro of Fantasy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222153608855

However, could the other 3 be "older" repros?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262482969256

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262487238869

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262487234676

I still believe one needs to put together a document to highlight the difference for future collectors.

I find these "threads" to be confusing & I have been around since 2008. I can only picture what a newbie thinks of this thread: Bunch of eBay numbers & go figure yourself.

My opinions only!

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Henrik,
Old or newly produced repops, at the end of the day they are repops meant for one purpose... to trick buyers.
The ideal of showing differences is good on paper, but the truth is it will only inform these sign makers on how to make an identical copy of the originals. Then when that day happens my entire collection will be up for sale.
I get emails and text daily asking my opinion on Mobil items. I always will point that person in the direction i believe is correct. So i have no plan on making a document showing the differences and kinda cringe when others point them out in high details.

I sure hope no more of these come out of the woodwork.
First the Restroom, then Metro's, now the Mobilfuel and Mobiloil..... Scary.I think so. I would love to see one of these repops though in person.

The Metro and Mobiloil is not a common plate. Mobiloil is more common but most are trashed or discolored something awful. Mobilfuel diesel is not to common as well.... What is next is my question...
I have seen some super rare plates of Mobil faked. I wont list the names of them but i have had to tell many collectors selling that plate that they got taken for lots of $$$. That is the sad part in all this.

At the end of the day the crooks make the money and the true collectors get shafted.
Just my two cents

Dan

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Fri Jun 17 2016 01:24 PM.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I agree with what Dan is saying.
I am also glad I have my Mobiloil PP before this.
I collected WWII Militaria for over 30 years. The fakes had gotten so good even the experts would argue amongst each other and had to defend. Most of the old timers have quit those forums and do not participate and are tired of defending their items.
Also the old fakes from the 40's and 50's are so aged now they are almost impossible to tell the difference. I have been to over a 100 Militaria shows around the country and 95% of the items were fake! I seen dealers blatantly rip off collectors for 1000's for dollars.
That is why I sold off 90% of my WWII Militaria 5-6 years ago, before it was too late.
It is a sad time when it gets this bad, and ruins the hobby for everyone. I am still working on finalizing my book on German WWII Panzerpioniere, once it is published I will be completely done. I just hope Petroliana isn't ruined for me like Militaria was.
Steve

Last edited by The Rip; Fri Jun 17 2016 02:45 PM.

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I wish I had more time to chime in. In short, this is a whole lot of sadness for me!!
I hate the shadow the repop industry cast's on this hobby and the true history!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Be Bringing a Metro Sign to CTO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
need to start adding pics to these posts instead of links... otherwise they are no good in about 90-days

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Bryce,

I agree with you 100%.

Is is OK to "use" pictures from eBay?

Hen

D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Here are sample photos of the two repro signs mentioned in the post so the thread will have photos in the future.
Darin

Mobiloil 40.jpg Mobilfuel Diesel (1).jpg
Last edited by DWSheffer; Thu Jun 23 2016 06:34 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin thanks for the education and warnings. I appreciate the effort.

D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
FYI, I also added these to the terribly underutilized "Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album" section of OG so these can be searched at any time.

Dick Bennett was always on me to add items to this section. I think with the state of reproductions in the hobby now is more important than ever to do so. So hey, if you're a knowledgeable brand collector and you see these repros of your company pop up repeatedly, take a couple minutes and add them to the unmarked repro section. I didn't point out every little incorrect detail in order not to help the scum repro makers, but a short line or two and a photo is all it takes. So do it for DB and do it for the hobby!
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Sun Jun 26 2016 11:14 AM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I answered your question in the value category. Three posts is a bit much my friend, your question will get answered.
So which is it, do you have a chance to buy it as you say here, or did you already buy it as you said in the value forum? Guess I'm confused here....
Darin

Darin Sheffer

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved