Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hello! Returning to the forum after a long absence. (Amazing how work gets in the way of life!)
Could anyone tell me which pipe goes where, in the mechanism of a Gilbarco air meter?

Looking at the internals from the front, I have a screw-in port on the left (on an angle), a pipe in the middle, and another port on the right, also at an angle.

As I have no fittings, I can't work out which is the "air in from compressor", which is "air out to tire" and I don't even KNOW why there is a third one. If this makes no sense or I receive no replies form the collective wisdom, I will try to post a picture- but computers are not my favorite thing!
Best regards from Morgan in Luxembourg...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you are asking questions about a air meter or a gas pump you should at least give us the model number of the item. Most replies posted here ask that you supply a picture.

Looking at this page of my website might help you answer the question:http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gilbarco%20air%20meters.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
OP Offline
M
Mr. Sim- I consider myself justly rebuked!

Thanks for your reply, and I have identified the meter as an AM31-1, (three wheel in KPa) and thanks to the link to your site, I can confirm that from the rear it looks exactly the photo on your page...

Could you (or anyone else) let me know the connection order? As I outlined in my first post, there are three connection points. However, one of the removable couplings appears to be blanked off.

I will try to load a picture, but meantime, can anyone confirm if it is the left or right side connection which is blanked off, and is the center one the "in" or the "out"?

Any help would be appreciated!

Morgan

M
OP Offline
M
Update- looking from the front, I think the left side connector is the outlet hose,the middle is the "air-in" and the right side connector is maybe a drain valve.
Any comments?

Morgan

M
OP Offline
M
BIG BREAKTHROUGH! I have freed off the mechanism and now the crank handle turns nicely. When I bought it (from Canada) I was led to believe it was in kPa not PSI, because it had three wheels- however, it is configured such that as the crank is turned, the numbers scroll up to 99, then flips the "hundreds" reel to "1"...but no further.

However, at that point, the limit spring and screw is fully across- so I am now guessing that I have a PSI model- am I right?

Morgan

(sorry but I am completely new to these devices!)

Last edited by Morganrue; Sun Jan 10 2016 11:54 AM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
These mechanisms delivered 55 psi unless they had a shotlengthner, than they would deliver 100-105. This is why they don't turn above the 100, they were made not to.

When this meter was first introduced service station serviced cars and trucks, so they needed a meter that would go above 55 to accommodate the trucks. When trucks started going to truck garages, service station owners purchased the the cheaper version.

I may be the only person that has information on an ECO with this mechanism that was called the Heavy Duty meter, it did provide air up to around 150 psi. I have owned over 400 of these meters, but I have never found a Heavy Duty model.

Looking at the meter from the back, the hole on the left is for a bleeder valve; the hole in the center is the inlet; the hole on the right is the outlet.

There is no mention of a different "limit spring" (inflator spring assembly) being used for KPa. If you want to change it to PSI, just put our decals on the wheels and calibrate the meter for psi.

Parts for this mechanism can be found at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/eco%2090%20parts.htm

Jack

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Jan 11 2016 02:54 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
M
OP Offline
M
Mr. Sim, thank you for the detailed reply!

I will of course be ordering the replacement/service parts I will need from you, in recognition of the time and effort you have put in to these questions. I presume you ship worldwide?

Is it possible to confirm this is a heavy duty unit from its ID plate? An dif it were in kPa already, how high would the numbers go? Once I know this I will know if I need the decals for the wheels- as I would prefer PSI.
Regards
m

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Send or post a picture of the back of the mechanism and I will tell you if it has a shotlengthener or not.

jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack

M
OP Offline
M
Hello Mr. Sim.

Does my Gilbarco have a shotlengthener? I sent a picture to your email for your advice.

Regards

Morgan

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Yes it does.

Jack Sim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved