From the new globe book:
**BAY PETROLEUM - DENVER, CO.:
The company traces its earliest roots to the 1925 founding of Western Nebraska Oil Company in Sidney, NE, a local jobber, by M. H. “Bud” Robineau. Charles Bay, an old family friend, joined Robineau as a financier in 1932. Western Nebraska Oil expanded from its position as a jobber when they leased a refinery in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1934. They were operating 10 bulk plants and 24 retail stations in western Nebraska by this time. The company was renamed Bay Petroleum in 1935. As a side note, Charles Bay later became involved in politics and served as ambassador to Norway. In 1936 the company bought the former Dickey Refining Company refinery in McPherson, Kansas, and in the spring of 1937 the company opened a new Dubbs-type refinery, in Denver and moved into retail gasoline marketing in the Denver area through jobber Red Dot Oil Company. Robineau left Bay Petroleum and founded Frontier Refining in 1940, acquiring the former Bay Cheyenne refinery. In 1940, the Bay headquarters relocated to Denver, Colorado and after World War II they purchased Chalmette Refining and opened offices in New Orleans. With a steady source of refined products, Bay began supplying, and later purchasing southern independent gasoline marketers. When Charles Bay died in 1955, the operation was sold to Tennessee Gas Transmission. In 1961, the operations of Bay Petroleum was fully merged with Tennessee Gas Transmission to form Tenneco. During the 1960s, Tenneco purchased several private brand operations that it continued to operate company-direct. A short-lived network of branded Tenneco dealers was created but most of the “Tenneco” stations were branded “Bay”. When Tenneco decided to get out of retail gasoline marketing in the 1990s, the remaining portion of the Bay brand, mostly in Georgia and Florida, was sold to Dixie Oil of Tifton, Georgia, a Tenneco supplied independent that continued to operate Bay branded stations for several years. Dixie Oil appears to have sold out, but occasional Bay branded stations, mostly with abandoned signage, can still be found in parts of South Georgia and in Florida.