Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Oldgas

"It is what it is." We can only control so much and the rest is left to personal honor and integrity that members will not take advantage of inexperienced people.

How about the inexperienced people that ask for a value, receive realistic value estimates from the members here then offer their item for sale elsewhere for a considerably higher price? Seems to me those inexperienced people take advantage of the folks on here quite often. It is what it is.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Oldgas
"It is what it is." We can only control so much and the rest is left to personal honor and integrity that members will not take advantage of inexperienced people.

it depends on which pond you come up on- some are full of sharks.. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I got the taste of the "value" forum several years ago. Numbers thrown in, did not impress me a bit ...

These days, with the help of "internet", it is not a rocket science to get an idea for "value" of an item.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The trouble with the internet, the collecting world is so full of "wanna be" pickers, that often times a person will get a fairly inflated idea of what something might be actually worth, and when the time comes to move it along in order to purchase something different, its about impossible to even come close to the values given!
It takes a tremendous amount of time and studying to really have any kind of a true idea what something might be worth, because that value can vary so much from area to area and month by month?
I think the value forum serves a purpose in that it can give a broad spectrum of values from many different collectors from many different parts of the country and thereby give a beginner a fairly accurate representation of what an item might actually be worth.
With the large amount of pickers not wanting to do their homework, and approaching these pages for instant valuation, and then hitting the web for the sale of the item, I find that many members that would have openly responded in the past, have declined to even offer any advice at all!
I get several calls every day because my number is listed on the web, and one of the most amazing that I ever received was from a new wanna be picker that had just left a sale with his purchase, only he had no knowledge of the sign he had bought and was only wanting to know what he could mark it up to, so he could get it onto the web the next day and get started making a profit!
The only thing he knew was what the sign said, and how much he paid! Somewhere in this whole process, common sense has to be present or the whole thing is a waste of time!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Kevin, you left out the best part!! What did you say to him?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've said it a thousand times, and ill say it again...

If you want a good response on a value question, post a poll.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
...I get several calls every day because my number is listed on the web, and one of the most amazing that I ever received was from a new wanna be picker that had just left a sale with his purchase, only he had no knowledge of the sign he had bought and was only wanting to know what he could mark it up to, so he could get it onto the web the next day and get started making a profit!
The only thing he knew was what the sign said, and how much he paid! Somewhere in this whole process, common sense has to be present or the whole thing is a waste of time!

Imagine how this conversation would've went down,had he called DB instead. wink

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
He would have got an earfull

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ha ha. I never liked that value forum. Great idea but because full of people not wanting to research items and wanting instant awnsers and when they do they add 35% or more and run it on eBay.

Best thing to do is just ignore the value section... I do.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By minuteman
Plus you have the guys on here that have no intention of buying the item, but want to make sure NO ONE on here gets a deal better than Ebay pricing.

...REALLY? it might just as well be that they want to make sure the seller is getting 'fair value' for their piece...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved