Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Jim Potts created this website. I believe his intention was to have a place were we meet, ask questions, offer to sell petro items, and ask to buy petro items.

I believe his original intention was that it was to be a petro website. Originally it was, but now it includes petro/automotive and just about what ever we try and slide under the door that is remotaly petro.

Guys, take at look at the top of this page, it states PRIMARILY PETROLEUM. It started out that way, now it includes everything from a Texaco oil can to a pencil given away by the Whippet motor company.

My point, is why do you keep pushing Jim to make decisions. I don't think Jim has made a dime keeping this website going, but those of us who use it have made many dollars. I don't agree with some of Jim's decisions, but I have followed them.

Again I will state that I do not agree with every decision Jim has made, but I respect his integrity.

Are any of you pushing the button.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Straight from Jim's post on the value forum...."Offers to Buy or Sell Not Allowed on Value Forum"
Where does it say you can't buy or sell privately?
Why would anyone want to limit private transactions?
How would that be enforced without the moderators reading everyone's PM's?
IMO it's not breaking the rules for someone to make a deal privately on something they saw in the value forum.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not picking sides here but I would suggest that it may be the sellers not honoring Jim's request. This is from his petroliana value forum guidelines

As a courtesy to the members who do help with values, we ask that when you do decide to sell, to offer them in our For Sale forum or announce an eBay auction in our Online Auctions forum.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I will probably end this by saying some of us just went by the rule that was listed above that section and thought it was the rule. I guess that there are small prints in each rule. I did not know that and just took it literally.

Thank you all for telling each side of this.

Craig
The moral of the story here is that the value section is the best place to buy something, LOL

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For clarification:

I guess its all in interpretation of the rule--
For the life of me, I can't see how an unannounced PM or email is anything but a private transaction and certainly not a violation of the posted rules?
As far as my transaction--My PM to the owner stated very simply that if he was looking for a valuation for the purpose of selling the pump, that I would be an interested buyer in the event that decision was made.
Because of my honesty in valuing the pump, he responded to my PM instead of any of the several others he had received. He asked what I would offer for the pump, and my reply was that because of possible hidden damage, I would be reluctant to give an offer, but would give a price range where I would be willing to buy the pump, picked up at the location, but any final offer would have to be with me in attendance in order to know what I was buying. After giving him a wide price range, he invited me to make the trip and do the dealing on the pump in person.
Knowing that there could certainly be damage that would prevent me from even wanting the pump, I contacted a good friend that was local and had him do the visual inspection and final dealing on the pump. A couple of phone calls took care of the final number, which was only $500 short of the upper range of my possible offer, and a deal was struck.
Price paid was certainly fair to the seller, and was at the high end of my estimate, but both parties were happy in the end.
The seller had several choices in which to market his pump, including ebay, but chose to ask me what I would offer, since I had given a fairly high estimate and been honest with valuation of a beat up gas pump that was lying in a junk pile.
I did nothing more than to let him know that I would be an option for him if he chose to sell.
I certainly don't see that as a violation of the forum, since it was done in a private manner. You certainly can't try to restrict communication between individuals, because of a mutual interest in an item posted on the value forum?
Restricting questions or offers WITHIN that forum, is done for a purpose and I believe that purpose is to provide validity to the responses given and to prevent bickering over possible offers given publically. This lends credence to that forum and promotes usage in a friendly and honest manner.
That's my opinion on the matter and certainly hope it isn't offensive to anyone.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Ryan Underthun
The moral of the story here is that the value section is the best place to buy something, LOL

ha, probably true...

another moral of story... nothing is going to come between a seasoned collector with money and getting an item that they desire. ive learned that just within the past year or so.

all it takes is one really desirable item to surface... and then watching the frenzy & ensuing stories

as long as seller & buyer are happy, and dont feel taken advantage of, i think that's what is most important

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
I try to be realistic with the forum Guidelines. The moderators have no interest in monitoring private messages of any kind. So there is no way to enforce rules about offers included in private messages.

The For Sale Guidelines state:
---------------
"Please do not post offers to buy, sell or auction items in this forum category. Mentioning that you are looking to sell now or later will be considered a violation of the "no offers to sell" rule. Posting a "PM sent" post will be considered a marker that you have sent an offer to buy and will also be a violation of this guideline.
"Is this for sale?" is prohibited.
"PM sent" is prohibited.
"I'm thinking of selling ..." may be taken as an offer to sell."
---------------

The "PM Sent" restriction is about posting a message on the public forum that says, "PM Sent"
It does not say you can't send a PM, email, telephone or in-person message.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do any other forums give you a headache as much as the Value forum?

Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
Do any other forums give you a headache as much as the Value forum?

LOL Nope!

Seriously, its not that bad. The membership is a pretty good group.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The "PM Sent" restriction is about posting a message on the public forum that says, "PM Sent"

That being said everyone now knows the rules.

I suspect in the future(and past)anything Great that shows up will definitely have enough interest here for the seller to get numerous pm/emails, ensuring that he will end up with fair market value for his item. Without the use of Ebay for whom most on here complain about anyway.
Plus you have the guys on here that have no intention of buying the item, but want to make sure NO ONE on here gets a deal better than Ebay pricing.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Oldgas
I try to be realistic with the forum Guidelines. The moderators have no interest in monitoring private messages of any kind. So there is no way to enforce rules about offers included in private messages.

The For Sale Guidelines state:
---------------
"Please do not post offers to buy, sell or auction items in this forum category. Mentioning that you are looking to sell now or later will be considered a violation of the "no offers to sell" rule. Posting a "PM sent" post will be considered a marker that you have sent an offer to buy and will also be a violation of this guideline.
"Is this for sale?" is prohibited.
"PM sent" is prohibited.
"I'm thinking of selling ..." may be taken as an offer to sell."
---------------

Well that clears it up for me....I obviously misinterpreted the rules/guidelines and I apologize Petropumps, you were right...I was wrong. In my defense I thought (I hoped) that rule was in place to help keep newbies or the uneducated from getting ripped off or given false information for the purpose of deceiving them "in private" because it would never be tolerated in open forum (NOT saying that's what you did). Imagine the grief the guy who offered him 850 for that pump would have gotten if he would have done it out in the open. It makes no sense to me to say go ahead and bombard a guy with offers via PM/email/or phone calls just as long as you don't post "PM sent".....but it is what it is.

Pete
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By petropumps
It's just amazing to think but HE didn't want to put it on eBay, ship it, or hassle with bidding it around to a million people. Imagine that. Pump was missing a couple important pieces and I told him I believed a fair price would be 15k...which I believe was a very fair assessment based on my own 23+ years of buying and selling pumps. We settled on a price south of that provided I drove 3 hours that night in the piercing rain with cash in hand. Seller was tickled pink. That "honest and straight forward" enough for you?

How could you leave out the part of the moose jumping out in front of you.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Originally Posted By blacktee
Originally Posted By petropumps
It's just amazing to think but HE didn't want to put it on eBay, ship it, or hassle with bidding it around to a million people. Imagine that. Pump was missing a couple important pieces and I told him I believed a fair price would be 15k...which I believe was a very fair assessment based on my own 23+ years of buying and selling pumps. We settled on a price south of that provided I drove 3 hours that night in the piercing rain with cash in hand. Seller was tickled pink. That "honest and straight forward" enough for you?

How could you leave out the part of the moose jumping out in front of you.

Didn't want to embelish smile

Originally Posted By 63shelby
In my defense I thought (I hoped) that rule was in place to help keep newbies or the uneducated from getting ripped off or given false information for the purpose of deceiving them "in private" because it would never be tolerated in open forum (NOT saying that's what you did). Imagine the grief the guy who offered him 850 for that pump would have gotten if he would have done it out in the open. It makes no sense to me to say go ahead and bombard a guy with offers via PM/email/or phone calls just as long as you don't post "PM sent".....but it is what it is.

Yes, the rule is in place to curb offers made to folks asking for values. The only thing that can be effectively controlled is messages posted on the forum. Posting "PM Sent" just tells others that you have made contact and essentially encourages others to get in on the action.

"It is what it is." We can only control so much and the rest is left to personal honor and integrity that members will not take advantage of inexperienced people.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved