Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
It has been brought to my attention the last couple of days that the value section rules do not disallow members from offering PMs, calls, or other means to buy these items.

It does state that there is no offers to buy or sell on here.

I guess In my mind that meant to not try to buy something from someone when they ask for a value.

I am wrong, I guess I never realized that we all had a chance to try to buy these items from the questioning person no matter what the top rule said.
I was wondering if anyone else had that view or it was just my interpretation of the rule.

Guess it is all a free for all now.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I also believed it to be "taboo".
Sure wish I would have sent some PM's on some items over the years.

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Craig I assumed the same as you, that is if someone asks about what there items worth you didn't offer to buy. I did wonder about that rule based on getting offers via PM on some items I put up, asking for values only.

It seems like, in general, people get pretty accurate and timely information on values. My mind is always trying to sniff out possible scammers, I could see how if two or three people were in "cahoots", say two people gave feedback artificially low and then someone PMd a low offer, that would be like stealing. I don't see anything like that happening here as there is way too many honest people giving great advice.

So anyway, people PMing me making offers on items I asked for an evaluation only seemed of bad taste at first, but after a while I didn't really care and since I've been selling more than buying lately actually was ok.

It's also one of things where it would be hard to enforce, as PMs aren't monitored.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Tue Nov 17 2015 05:56 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
You are exactly right Paul about the Monitoring of the PMs and being hard to enforce. I was told this by the moderator.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck
It has been brought to my attention the last couple of days that the value section rules do not disallow members from offering PMs, calls, or other means to buy these items.

It does state that there is no offers to buy or sell on here.

I guess In my mind that meant to not try to buy something from someone when they ask for a value.

I am wrong, I guess I never realized that we all had a chance to try to buy these items from the questioning person no matter what the top rule said.
I was wondering if anyone else had that view or it was just my interpretation of the rule.

Guess it is all a free for all now.

Must be referring to the Wayne 800? clock face pump posted in the value section.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I think he's talking about the Wayne 50 that I bought. It was posted in the value section and I emailed the original poster and gave him, what I felt, was a fair value range on the pump and let him know that I would be an interested buyer if he decided to sell it as I was local to him. Guy got in touch with me and we made a deal. Similar situation to Kevin and the Wayne 800 I believe. While I guess I could see it being "in bad taste" depending on the tone of the email, I also feel that if you're being honest and straight forward with the owner there's really nothing wrong with it. Just my two cents though. Sorry Craig!

Last edited by petropumps; Wed Nov 18 2015 12:53 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So what did you pay him for a pump most on here thought should bring 15K+ and probably more if he had put it on eBay like some (including me) suggested...since you were so fair/honest/ and straight foward in your range value ???????

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Nov 17 2015 11:52 PM.

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By 63shelby
So what did you pay him for a pump most on here thought should bring 15K+ and probably more if he had put it on eBay like some (including me) suggested...since you were so fair/honest/ and straight foward in your range value ???????

And since were being so HONEST.... there is no difference between a PM and a email. Most HONEST people I know follow the rules !! That's just my two cents, sorry LOL

Offers to Buy or Sell Not Allowed on Value Forum

"Is this for sale?" is prohibited.
"PM sent" is prohibited.

Pete
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
It's just amazing to think but HE didn't want to put it on eBay, ship it, or hassle with bidding it around to a million people. Imagine that. Pump was missing a couple important pieces and I told him I believed a fair price would be 15k...which I believe was a very fair assessment based on my own 23+ years of buying and selling pumps. We settled on a price south of that provided I drove 3 hours that night in the piercing rain with cash in hand. Seller was tickled pink. That "honest and straight forward" enough for you?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By petropumps
It's just amazing to think but HE didn't want to put it on eBay, ship it, or hassle with bidding it around to a million people. Imagine that. Pump was missing a couple important pieces and I told him I believed a fair price would be 15k...which I believe was a very fair assessment based on my own 23+ years of buying and selling pumps. We settled on a price south of that provided I drove 3 hours that night in the piercing rain with cash in hand. Seller was tickled pink. That "honest and straight forward" enough for you?

Offers to Buy or Sell Not Allowed on Value Forum

"PM sent" is prohibited.

Pete
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P

"PM sent" is prohibited. [/quote]

Yep...agreed...and I did neither. Maybe you should re-read the rule and the original post.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not going to get in a ***** contest with you...there is no difference between a PM and email, you broke rules and got what you wanted so you see it one way, and seller got shortchanged (whether he knows it or cares). Others who do same thing on here and on eBay will agree with you because getting "stuff" is all that matters...and some will agree with me, "stuff" isn't the most important thing by far.

Pete
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Good thing you're on the west coast so we can keep doing this while everyone else is fast asleep. I agree whole heartedly that getting "stuff" isn't the most important. I sent the seller an email giving him a fair valuation of his pump and telling him I was interested if he wanted to sell. I didn't low-ball him, attempt to steal anything away from anyone else and employed no other deceitful tactic. And then I left it alone. If he had never contacted me my email would have been nothing more than a free appraisal. Luckily for me he did choose to contact me over the dozens of other emails and PMs he received. Based on his comments to me I believe that was because he felt I was being sincere and fair on my value. For comparison, he received another email from a member offering him $850 for his pump and telling him everyone else on here was full of it on prices. And for the record, I believe a PM and email are the same as well...and sending either does not run afoul of any of the guidelines here as far as I'm aware. But I will say...your unwavering concern for the seller (the perfectly satisfied seller, by the way) is admirable. You inspire me.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
LOL...yeah I don't sleep well unfortunately...But I'll say one last thing, here's your words and I quote.

"I think he's talking about the Wayne 50 that I bought. It was posted in the value section and I emailed the original poster and gave him, what I felt, was a fair value range on the pump and let him know that I would be an interested buyer if he decided to sell it as I was local to him"

here's the rules according to Mr. Potts

"PM sent" is prohibited. [/quote]

So since you sent a email instead of a PM that's OK ? and since you said "I'm a interested buyer" instead of Is this for sale that's OK too ??....... pretty slippery me thinks.

Pete
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Sure, I understand what you're saying, but here's the distinction: the rule says you can't post "in the value section" (aka the thread) an offer to buy, or a post stating you've "PM'd"(which is tantamount to an offer to buy) and I would agree that posting "email sent" is the same as "PM sent". But that rule applies to the thread...presumably due to the fact that we don't want the original poster's thread and question engulfed by offers to buy. However, off-thread contact and inquiries about the item are not prohibited. This was the point of Craig's post in this thread...and one that may have been lost on you...he was under the impression that the rule is as you have championed...when in fact, it is not. Now whether or not contacting someone off thread about an item is morally reprehensible or not, that is up for debate. Obviously I do not believe it is as long as you are not intentionally trying to mislead or otherwise be deceitful. I was doing neither. As such, I consider it A-OK.

Even for left coasters it's getting late...I will wish you a good night and I guess we can hear from the east coast tomorrow...lol...

Last edited by petropumps; Wed Nov 18 2015 01:08 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved