Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#636533 Wed Nov 11 2015 09:06 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So I was doing research on this oil can and came across this news paper ad for a new station from the "Oklahoma Refining company" (Wish the picture was better).

What I find interesting in the article it said they could fill five cars at the same time with electrically driven pumps. So what kind of electric pumps did they have in 1917? Looking through Jack's book I see nothing that early that is electric for that matter in Oklahoma in 1917 I can't imagine there was very much that was electric period. Here at the farm we were still using a 32 volt Delco light plant until the mid thirties when R E C came through.

That early, it would pretty well be pre-visible Anyone hazard a guess as to what pumps they might have been using?

Also find it interesting they called it a "supply station" instead of the "service station".

ORCO_opt.jpg oklahoma refining co_opt.jpg

Jay Leeper
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Easy to answer, the Guarantee Liquid Measure (Fry) 17. The 17 had a electric motor/pump that was not in the pump, it was located in the station or where ever they wanted to put it. The hand crank was an option if you didn't have electric.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That newspaper article shows a building with a wire to it. If you look at a lot of old pictures of 'country' stores way into the late 30s they often do not have electric wires going to them. Also figure the cost of electric--even if you have it, why pay the extra cost to run a pump on electric if you have a cheaper alternative, or the cost or trouble of installing it out to the pump for an older station that started with crank pumps.

We also take for granted our access to electricity. In 1930 only 10% of rural areas had electricity, in 1945 it was up to 45%.

Last edited by Nicole; Thu Nov 12 2015 02:43 AM.
Nicole #636547 Thu Nov 12 2015 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Jay, I am no help with the question about the electric pump. However I noticed your reference to the Delco Electric light plant.That is one of my other hobbies, collecting and restoring Delco plants. I presently have eight plants,four of which are in good running condition plus a complete set of 16 battery cells and most of the appliances which are 32 volts. My father was a distributor/dealer here in Clinton, Ill.and I actually helped him work on them until the last one went out of service in 1952. Glad to see someone else remembers them. Norm Huff

Norm Huff
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Take a look at the pictures I have on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/guarantee%20pumps.htm

If the pump didn't have a base, it was operated by an electric motor. The electric motor had a chain drive that turned the pump.

Nothing to click on to add a picture, what am I doing wrong?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, if you are trying to add a picture from your computer, you have to look at the bottom under where you are typing your message and click on 'Switch to Full Reply Screen.' If your images are already at or under 150 KB the click on 'File Manager' and hit 'browse' to find the image on your computer. after you highlight your picture on your computer and click 'open,' you can add a caption if you want, you then have to click 'add file.' When you have all the pictures you want (I think the default is 3 pictures) then click 'done adding files' that takes you back to your submit screen. Note-if you do not have regular text in your message box here, your images will not be submitted onto the thread. You have to at least type in a symbol * or something to be able to submit your images into a forum discussion.

If your files are too big, and the file manager will tell you, you need to go to the 'Resize Image for File Manager Upload' something I have not done.

Last edited by Nicole; Fri Nov 13 2015 05:33 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Jack, I was going to ask if you had any pictures of what a setup looked like.

Norm that is great you need to post a picture sometime I love those things. That is one of my other sicknesses as well is single cylinder engines, my Delco doesn't run and needs a lot of attention maybe someday I'll get around to it. I have one battery jar left no plates here is a pic so everyone can see what we're talking about. I saw a full rack one time and it is an incredible sight. Like Nicole says it's easy to take for granted, my dad talked like you had to be pretty picky on what you wanted to run. ( let's see do I want to run the separator or the light bulb) LOL

battery_opt.jpg light plant_opt.jpg

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1917 - cost of land and entire gas station $9,000
2017 - cost of one metal sign from said gas station $9,000

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Nov 16 2015 09:32 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
sad but true

Jay Leeper

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved