Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
corcam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have a very large "about 20 feet long x 3 feet wide" blue porcelain dealership sign that when I acquired it had been mostly painted over basically with white house paint and once I started chipping the paint off I discovered the blue porcelain with white porcelain lettering of some sort of business name behind it so I of course am excited to get the white paint off to see what lies underneath. Can someone tell me a safe and effective and hopefully easy way to get this paint of without damaging the porcelain original sign itself? Looks like also that part of the sign has some lighter blue sticker type lettering that has been applied also before it had been painted over, people have been using this sign for other business names in layers it seems over the years thanks for the help!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
I use the ORANGE citrus stripper from either LOWES or HOME DEPOT. Paint in on, cover with Saran plastic wrap and let it sit. They also sell a cleaner to go with the stripper. It smells good and really works. I have tried them all and this one works the best for me.

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just simple paint remover, either jell type or spray type. Won't harm porcelain....

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
post picture of outcome.. ... cool

RANDY
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I bought some of the sprayable paint stripper from Lowes to strip the Goodyear sign I had posted here a few weeks back. Reasonable price/gal just put it on and let it do the work.

If the paint is thick it may take a couple applications, you could also use the gel type stripper.

Make sure the piece is in a well ventilated area but not exposed to wind which will tend to dry up the stripper fast requiring extra applications.

It took me 2 applications on the 9 pieces of the Goodyear sign to get the yellow house paint off the white letters and about 2hrs of work time. Since your sign is larger it will take longer, however well worth the effort.

Below is the album of the Goodyear as I stripped it.
Goodyear letter sign stripping and results

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By carolinaskies
I bought some of the sprayable paint stripper from Lowes. If the paint is thick it may take a couple applications, you could also use the gel type stripper.

Gel stripper will remove more paint/layers than the spray type. But, the spray type is far less of a hassle.

Also, the spray type (since it is not quite as effective) works good when you only want to remove 1 layer of paint on a surface with multiple layers

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just stripped the clear off one side of a 48 porcelain sign and it all came off in 2 coats, then soap and water in under an hour.

I used a spray can of Aircraft stripper:

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Air...CFQiNaQodmykBJA

Funny thing was the Porcelain was in great shape and displayed well so I have no clue why it was cleared!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like aircraft stripper too (same brand too), I usually buy the gallon cans, not the spray cans though. I like to use a brush to apply, let it sit for half hour to hour or so, and scrape off with a razor blade in a scraper. Very little force is needed with the scraper, it just takes it off cleanly, like a squeegee. Sometimes I'll hose it off too, especially if multiple stripper applications are necessary.

I usually forget to wear gloves, then after I've been stung multiple times, I wash my hands and put gloves on! Those disposable nitrile gloves only survive five or ten minutes before expanding and getting destroyed by the stripper.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Thu Oct 01 2015 10:56 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
corcam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks guys, I am using the spray citrus remover as that was what our small hardware store had. I have done part of the sign and it turned out well except it still has some of the blue color sticker residue which has stained the white porcelain letters so my question is what can I do a final clean with to get this off. I power washed it after scrapping the worst of paint off to get the stripper remainder off.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you already tried reapplication of the stripper to the area, try this method.

Use baking soda and Hydrogen Peroxide. Mix into a slurry form and apply to a small part of the area affected and let sit for 15 minutes. Scrub with a kitchen sponge combo. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

There are some other techniques out there too I'm sure someone else will share as well.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems like scrubbing with a fine scrubbing pad and bartenders friend works pretty well. I've tried about ten different compounds, nothing very satisfying. It's seems like once discoloration gets into the pours of the porcelain, nothing works. If the outer glaze on the porcelain breaks down, the porcelain discolors easily.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved