Next Thread
Print Thread
#627036 Tue Aug 25 2015 03:39 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
HI gassers, there has been a lot of discussion on identifying fake signs. I am fairly new when it comes to porcelain sign collection. My collection is very much limited with gas pumps and my hesitation in collecting signs is based on not being able to determine fakes from real with some signs. One sign I have wanted to buy is the oval Ford sign with Genuine Parts. I know these signs when labelled are made by Veribrite and stamped Property of Ford Motor Company. I have seen 'similar' double sided signs of the same size (16.5 x 24) with no labelling at all and the mounting holes are in a different position relative to the letters GENUINE compared to labelled signs. Does this make the sign a fake? Is the non labelling an indication sign is fake? All you ford gurus would know the answers and any help for ignorant OG members like myself would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I could also use (and welcome) an education on these oval Ford signs.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good day, are you buying one in Australia or the states. The reason I ask is I'm not sure your's would be the same as in the states. A pic would help of the sign in question.

Have gas all the time
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Don't trust in company stamps. I just seen a porcelain genuine ford parts sign on eBay from India and it had the stamp on top and the bottom. But they were to stupid and spelled a word wrong. But once they learn how to spell (lol), who's going to tell the difference

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
All the signs are being sold in US (ebay). Two examples would be ebay items 361351607791 and 181844189488.

Cheers

Last edited by Gasoline George; Tue Aug 25 2015 05:39 PM.
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Any of you FORD collectors help out with this one?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Lack of makers name is NOT an immediate indication of a sign being fake. Location of mounting holes can be problematic, meaning that a variation might occur because of different year production and/or different supplier. This is more true with small hanger signs like the Ford in question.

Before anyone gets upset, let me explain. Signs like the Ford genuine parts would have come with a hanger and chain or hanger and strap, so variation can occur. That is why spacing is important, but not conclusive proof. Unlike a pump plates which mounted to doors or larger signs whose hangers were fixed large brackets.

Other more important factors on Ford signs especially are the fonts used on the sign. Compare them to original Ford literature of the appropriate age and you'll identify specifics like the flourish of the 'F' over the 'o'.

Helpful at times is to inspect original photographs from stations and dealerships to compare signs, how they were hung, etc.

It will continue to become difficult to determine authenticity as overseas production quality increases.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's my understanding that the original oval PORCELAIN "Ford Genuine Parts" signs had the mounting holes over the G and the E, while the PAINTED versions had the holes between the letters.
There was a very informative discussion about these signs on here several years ago that addressed specific ways to distinguish originals from reproductions. Unfortunately that topic is no longer available.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just recently spoke with a fellow collector regarding these signs. Back in the 80's he was invited to the Henry Ford museum to showcase his all original Model T. He mentioned, that at the show there was a booth selling re-issue Ford oval signs for $25 each with no property of Ford or maker markings. He remarked at how with current prices he should have bought piles of them. IMO I would stay clear of ones not marked and if marked I would want it in my hands.

Daryl
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks to all who provided feedback. Much appreciated.

It is my understanding that the only ones that were marked are the ones made in USA by veribrite I have seen genuine ones made in Canada that have no makers mark however taking into consideration they only bring half the money anyhow being a porcelain sign it should be easy to tell if it's old or made to look old... True age cannot be duplicated!

Cman

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved