Next Thread
Print Thread
#627246 Wed Aug 26 2015 11:30 AM
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Not having a large collection of globes,and getting into this hobby way to late in life I wondering what others think of repainted globes. I would think it lowers the value as compared to org.Nos. Seen where others repaint standard crowns and this seems pretty excepted in the hobby. More interested in your views on milkglass OPE. and single lens.
Is there a point where a globe is so rare that it doesn't really weigh in to value?
Thanks in advance for your input!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Loyd, As it happens, I just came out of the spray booth having repainted a Standard Red Crown, milk glass globe. I purchased a collection of pumps in Southern Illinois two weeks ago and a Wayne 70 had a "Cheese" repro Red Crown on top. The guy broke it before I got there to pick them up. We adjusted the price and I called Chuck Pergl to see what he had? He parted with a faded original which took me two hard days to tape off and shoot. I sure wouldn't advise trying to make any money doing this as it is very labor intense. It is the look the I was trying to achieve and it will cap off the pump nicely at Hershey. Probably won't be bringing that pump home as it is killer with the overall effect. It can be seen on my site in the next week, or so. I will promote it as repainted original but in value, don't think it makes much difference? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Wed Aug 26 2015 03:27 PM.
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Paul thanks for your response.
Let me re ask my question this way. Maybe easier to answer.
If two globes where sitting side by side,one with 30 percent paint lose and the same branded globe with a top notch quality repaint which would you rather have in your collection? Which one holds the most value?

Know restored signs your are somewhat married to it, meaning enjoy it because your probably never going to recoop the money you have tied up. Just wondering if the thinking is the same with globes among the serious globe collecters.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OPE are ok to repaint and some say it doesn't affect value (on OPE globes only). I know some collectors that prefer original paint on their OPE globes so it can affect value in some cases.

Repainting crowns opens a can of worms. Someone could take a washed out non-lettered red crown and paint it blue or green.
It's been an accepted practice to repaint the early lettered crowns but I've seen repainted ones where the paint was artificially "aged" to mimic normal wear. They were not misrepresented at the time of sale but down the line 15 or 20 years after they've traded hands a few times there could be problems.

As for repainting lenses....Just don't do it!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Lastgas15
OPE are ok to repaint and some say it doesn't affect value (on OPE globes only). I know some collectors that prefer original paint on their OPE globes so it can affect value in some cases.

I've always heard Scott & others say that a proper repaint on a OPE globe remains the same in value as original paint... but based on my limited experience (especially compared to Scott) I have found that to be false.

Original paint always seems to bring significantly more than repainted

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's been talked about before hear somewhere, but if you have to paint a crown it's easier to use spray mask and then cut out the sections to be painted. Still a pain, I'll probably never do it again!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would agree with all of the above. I'd much rather have a 70% original finish than a repaint. I would also pay much less for a repainted globe than a decent original. On globes and signs - you can't beat original in my book!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I still feel repainted one piece etched will bring the same as an original paint one. There are a few, not many people that prefer original paint on etched globes but value wise I don't see a difference. Kyle has 300 one piece globes in his estate many have been repainted I don't think that will matter to most buyers. Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I had two of the same OPE globes side by side one repainted and one good original paint and both are the same price I of course am taking the original paint. However if there is only a repainted OPE to buy that I want I am not going to pass even at the same price!! I have repainted some of my own as well and they look great when done. They all had little to no paint left so if you wanted it could be stripped back off and be back to how it was.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved