Next Thread
Print Thread
#619854 Mon Jun 29 2015 11:23 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Now that CTO is over and everyone one is back to normal, it is time for a little discussion.

About 20 years ago while I was out picking I met a guy who was big into jukeboxes, and he told me that if Cuba became open again he would be on the first plane there. There is also a new program starting soon on TV about the cars in Cuba.

Now the question, do any of you plan on going there looking for pumps, signs, etc.? Do you think it might be worth going?

One word of advice from me if you plan on going. Rust. Let me explain. I purchased a ECO air meter from a person in Porto Rico. I took it apart and sent it to the sandblaster. The sheet metal was so thin it just blew apart, the aluminum frame was so pitted you could never repair it. Remember, Cuba is surrounded by salt-water.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Jun 29 2015 11:24 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Four people I know,who travel to Cuba religiously,told me they don't see anything there as far as collectible Gas & Oil signs & pumps etc.
The old antique cars far outweigh these,because they drive them on a regular basis out of practicality.One of them told me they go with cash burning a hole in their pocket eveytime,but there just isn't anything there in the way of Gas & Oil like we think there is.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd love to go too, when it's available. I think Rick is right, I don't think there will be much for collectors. I think it's one of those places where everything is recycled not because there green there, just out of necessity. I've heard the cars are highly modified so that they'll keep running, makes sense, but lowers value. Plus I imagine getting a car off that island would be a real chore even if trade is open.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved