Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was going through the archived picture albums today in our local museum. This little museum was put together by our local historical society a few years ago and is mostly full of railroad memorabilia as Monett was established around the Frisco railroad in the late eighteen hundreds. My family was one of the originals with my great grandfather settling here around the turn of the century. I had never even taken the time to visit the little museum which is the love of a few local historians and really hasn't gotten a lot of support. The city gave them free rent in the old building that used to house the license office and they made a very neat museum that has a lot of really neat items in it donated by local families that had a long history here. It is open odd hours by a few volunteers so every time I would drive by and have the time to stop in it would be closed. Well today I was by there and seen it was open and really not wanting to go home and mow the yard, I decided to stop in and see what was there. One of the guys who is involved in the museum is an old friend that went to school with me and the other day I ran in to him and got to talking about my petro collection and he suggested I go in and look through the old pictures they had as there were some pictures of Broadway that showed some of the gas stations that were there back in the day. Most of the pictures that did have stations in them were of some other focal point with the stations just incidentally in the photo so it was hard to see much save the larger signs that might have been out front. Then I ran on to this postcard that had a station exclusively pictured and it looked familiar but I couldn't place the location exactly right off the bat. I asked the lady who was there today if she recognized it as she has also lived here most of her life and was a few years my senior. She said "Yes, that is the old station on Cleveland Ave that was run by Art Krueger when we were kids". I couldn't believe it, but it sure was. My uncle used to work there when he was in school and the owner was one of my classmates dad and we used to ride our bikes there and get cokes and candy when we were kids. The thing that was so interesting was the White Line branding of the station and the clear picture of the visible pumps with the White Line globes on top. This station was a DX station all of the years that any of us remembered. Until today I had never heard of or seen the White Line brand. In looking on the globe cd, I found that there is in fact one of these globes known to exist but they are rated a 6 in rarity meaning only one has ever been found. It also says that the history of the company is unknown. This station was in Monett, MO and the date on the postcard wasn't clear but the others in that collection were from 1919. At that time I would say that the company was from somewhere in the region around southwest MO as the oil companies back then were not nearly as spread out as they became in later years. I though it was an interesting story so forgive the long dissertation but I thought others might enjoy the story and maybe, by chance, be able to shed more light on this company. Would anyone happen to know who owns the one example of this globe and /or maybe where it was found? Any comments or input is welcomed.....GB.

image.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
White Line was the trademark of Tri-State Oil Company out of Joplin, Missouri. Tri State sold out to Transcontinental Oil in 1929 and rebranded to their Marathon trademark. The following year Transcontinental Oil sold out to The Ohio Oil Company, and in 1939 Ohio Oil adopted the Marathon trademark exclusively as their Gasoline brand. Ohio Oil sold off their presence in the Midwest during WW2.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks for sharing the story Gary & glad you finally got into the museum.

Always looking for more Derby, Vickers, KanOTex, & Elreco gasoline & oil items!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
exact same picture with sign in different spot, didn't know they had Photoshop then ... cool

whtlingas.JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
very cool

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info Wayne. I figured it was a local company. I'm going to talk to a few more old timers in town to see if anyone remembers when the station became DX. Randy, Is the picture you posted a postcard or was that just an Internet pic? It's been photoshopped or those three guys sure stand in the same place a lot, ha! Funny how these pictures get around....GB

Last edited by Rabbitman; Sun Jun 28 2015 01:48 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome stuff..

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Rabbitman
Randy, Is the picture you posted a postcard or was that just an Internet pic? It's been photoshopped or those three guys sure stand in the same place a lot,....GB

... cool ebay # 251999862091

Last edited by advertologist; Mon Jun 29 2015 03:45 AM.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By advertologist
exact same picture with sign in different spot, didn't know they had Photoshop then ... cool

Someone gave me a 14X11 copy of that picture 20-25 years ago.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
And here I thought I'd found something! But if you think about it, when postcards were printed there were a lot of them put in to circulation so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that they get well dispersed. Every flea market has a booth with boxes of old pictures and there is a good market now for old gas station pictures on eBay. Still, it's interesting that a picture from a small town of a very small station made its way mainstream a hundred years after it was shot......GB

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved