Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#617628 Fri Jun 12 2015 07:56 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
I wanted to share the story of my exciting find with the group. This is a long story, so I hope you will read along as there is a 40+ year time span involved with these signs. Back in 1973, my Dad purchased our farm where I grew up. My oldest brother now owns the house and is raising his four children there. When Dad first bought the place, he was making a woodworking shop out of one of the small outbuildings, and was installing a wood burner for heat. He mentioned to one of our neighbors that he was looking for something to set the burner on to prevent any coals from possibly burning the wood floor. The neighbor had just the item for this up in his old barn. It turns out my Dad brought home two Sinclair Aircraft signs, one to set the burner on, and another to put behind it to guard the wall. When our newer shop was completed, the Sinclair signs were brought in and put up on the walls as decoration, which would have been in the mid-1980's. I grew up always liking the "airplane" signs. Dad still has one, but traded the other for a paint job on his 1949 Ford coupe a few years ago.

Fast forward to April of 2015. I've been in the hobby for about 10 years now, and why Dad had never mentioned this before, I have no clue! confused We were talking about the Sinclair sign when he said, "When I got the two years ago, there were more of them in that barn." Of course I was intrigued by this little tid-bit, but obviously 40 years later never dreamed there would be any left in this barn. The folks Dad got the signs from had since passed away, and the barn and land was sold to a farmer around the corner. Luckily I knew this family as I went to school with the guy's daughters. To be honest, I wasn't in any hurry to contact these people, since as I mentioned I figured any other signs would be long gone. That was until 3 weeks ago my brother that lives down the road told Dad and I, "I think there's one of those Sinclair signs patching a window on the old barn down the road." I was absolutely floored to hear this! So, that weekend, I drove down to the old homestead, wondering if my brother was correct in what he was seeing. I first drove south bound, and didn't see anything. Then on the way back up the road, there it was! Up in the very peak of the barn was a Sinclair Aircraft sign! It had been painted over many times, but I could see the "SI and the "AIR" letters showing through the weathered paint. I truly couldn't believe there was still one there.

With a new found urgency, I decided I better get a hold of the owners. Last Sunday I did my first "cold call" drop in inquiring on an old gas item. Luckily the owner Fred recognized me although it has been 21 years since I graduated High School and rode the bus with his daughters. I told him my Dad said that years ago there were some old signs in his barn and that I had actually seen one in the peak from the road. I asked if we could go over and take a look so I could make an offer on the sign and he agreed. We open the door to the basement of the barn and straight ahead was another Aircraft sign!! There were two of them. This sign was a bit rough, but to find another was crazy. We went upstairs to look at the other sign in the peak, but the sun was so bright shining through the slats that I really couldn't get a good look at it. We agreed that if I came back we would get the sign down for a better look. Personally, I'm afraid of heights, lol, so luckily for me my brother is a lineman for the Board of Public Utilities. I called Fred yesterday after work and said my brother and I would be there shortly to get the sign down, well Eric would get the sign down! It took about an hour to get it down and replace the opening with tin, and I want to thank my brother for his help. The peak sign was certainly in better shape than the other. I wish now I would have taken a photo inside the barn before we took it down, but I think I was too excited to worry about documenting it all. Below are some photos I took over the last week, from the sign still in the peak on my first visit, seeing the sign in the basement as we opened the door, getting the peak sign down, loading them, and bringing them home. I have not cleaned the paint off the peak sign yet, but it looks glossy like the side I cleaned up a bit last night. I know these are not high grade signs, but how they came to be mine will always be unforgettable, and now I finally have a sign like Dad's.

The stuff is still out there folks...don't think it's all bought up or rare signs are unobtainable. And I learned to follow leads, even if they ARE 40 years old! smile On a side note, Fred told me his Dad brought home probably 15 of these Sinclair Aircraft signs in the early 1950's to use around the farm, and he got them from a scrap dealer. Somehow they got distributed around the neighborhood over time and some ended up in this barn before they ended up owning it. He said they used to unload feed on them and use the scoop shovel to move the grain. He said "I always wondered what they were made of, because when my shovel would dig into the sign these shards would just fly everywhere!" I think I cried a little for the departed signs!
Thanks for reading the story, and happy hunting everyone.
Darin

Barn Far (1).jpg Barn Close (1).jpg Basement Sign (1).jpg Basement Sign Close 1.jpg

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Here are a few pics of the sign after we got it down, and loaded up. The last pic is the better sign of the two after a quick cleaning.....

Sign Lowered (1).jpg Sign Outside (1).jpg Signs Loaded (1).jpg Better Sign (1).jpg
Last edited by DWSheffer; Fri Jun 12 2015 08:00 PM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
And last but not least, the sign in worse condition, but still happy to be found and cleaned up a little!
Darin

Worse Sign (1).jpg

Darin Sheffer
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Awesome story Darin and incredible find.
Good for you.
Thanks for sharing & Congrats, Mike

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still can't believe you found two of them. Nice story my friend

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Awesome! That's a great story and great signs!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure feels good when you find something like that and with a story behind it like yours to boot. Nice find Darin.....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good long story but worth reading- congratulations ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow ! That made my night reading that so cool . Congratulations !

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is so awesome! That is why I love this hobby, you never know where it will show up! Congratulations!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and it shows if you treat people right 20 years ago they will remember and do you right when the opportunity arises.
Nice score Darin.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Simply amazing! Congratulations!!

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
What a story! And great sign, congrats!

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Simply fantastic story! I still feel the best part of this hobby is finding these items as they were repurposed in the wild way back when. Over the years Iv'e seen/heard some interesting things. Now you have to talk Dad into swapping his out for one of yours..if his is better anyway..lol.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Great find! Great story as well, Sounds like It was a great experience!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved