Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I didn't know how to vote and still not sure. Is the auction house a bad guy. Well maybe. They did state it was cleared. That should of sent up a red flag. I would of ran the other way. The fact that you didn't run a magnet over the sign makes you the loser. I would hope the auction house would black list the cosigner.
My dad always drove used cars,he put a magnet in his pocket and headed out for the next one. He came home with the slickest 59 chevy you ever seen. He was smiling from ear to ear,when us three kids piled in the back and almost stepped through the floor board. I think this was the only time he really took it in the rear. I'm going back and vote just to see the results but I don't think you will like my vote. Sorry! If you would have contacted them with proof that the sign was a partial restore before you stripped it my vote would swing. From a legal stand point I have no idea. A jail house lawyer I,m not.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sat May 16 2015 08:43 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think this sucks for both you & the auction house..Unfortunately your issue starts & stops with them.
And two glaring points stand out to me.
1)The auction house won't take it back due to you altering it.But you had to alter it in order to find out what is going on under there,(and they will say that was your choice,not theirs),and as was used as an example earlier,it's like while returning a found out repop globe and you break it along the way.

2)You have to prove that the auction house had prior knowledge before the sale,that this wasn't as they were describing it to be.And that could be very time consuming and difficult,if not near impossible.

Legally I think you are SOL.
Morally I think they should give you a full refund and take the sign back.Then the auction house can go after the consigner,if need be.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The auction house is covered. Was it advertised as original, never restored? Nope. That was an assumption on your part. If there was a statement from the action house stating that all items in this auction are original, unrestored items then I could understand your thinking that they are wrong.

Dropping 2k on a clear coated sign without holding it in your hand...I feel that's on you.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I agree with Wes. I think he said it best.Sucks on the sign though.Mark

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I come from old school and don't vent often but this to me I just don't get. An auction house sells a sign advertised as clear coated and the buyer is aware of this but still proceeds with the purchase. Two reasons a sign is clear coated. 1.. The sign is faded bad or 2.. The sign has been restored. For you to assume the sign is only faded is bad on your part. Then to contact the auction house and ask for a refund and get denied. So next step is to publically slam an auction company for your mistake. If it had of been my mistake here, I would have put on my big boy shorts and hung the sign on my wall. Period.

Daryl
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ditto the above three remarks!

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I appreciate all the comments. for everyone that is mentioning the buyer agreement and/or the binding contract in regards to returning the item, that was not my original question. My question was not whether or not I can return the item... my question was whether I was mislead or not... and the ethical business practice behind it.

Daryl, you need to take your big boy pants and go back to the original post... I tried to do this in a manner that did not identify the auction company nor the specific item. For you to call me out and say that I am publicly slamming the auction company, just means that you are not willing to read and comprehend the concept of the original post. I meant this to be a constructive conversation, not a conversation about 'what Daryl would do'... period.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The terms and conditions address what the bidder's responsibilities are, and how the auction house handles a wrongly described item. Whether that was part of the poll or not, it's an important part of the situation.

There has been a lot of speculation on what the people at the auction house knew.
The error in the description is not an ethical issue unless you can prove what the person that wrote the description knew.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
One more reason to clear coat a sign, to keep the sun from fading it when put outside. I've done this, bought them cleared and had them done. I look at clear as a protection.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bad deal. That's a lot on money to lose out on Bryce . About all you can do is maybe try to repair it, hang it , and enjoy what you can. I would be upset with the situation also. I agree with Wes on the 58 chevy car thing , just bites you got burned.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure would like to see what it looks like now so we know where the repairs are.

Have gas all the time
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I think if you didn't know when you received the sign it had bondo in it, why would you expect the auction house to know it ? I would also say that knowing it had been cleared and if you didn't like it being cleared you should not have been a bidder on that sign.

I think all auction houses say regardless of what is said on the auction block or the description in the catalogue, it's the buyers responsibility to make sure you know what your bidding on.

Definitely after you have altered the sign, you would have no way to expect them to give you a refund ( partial or full ) or take the sign back.

I think you need to chalk it up to another lesson learned and move on. Too bad Bryce, but we are always learning.. frown

ps. I personally don't think this should reflect on Morphy's Auction house or any other auction house. The situation and result would be the same.

So to answer your original question Bryce I don't think you were a "fool" or "mislead", it's just a "lesson learned"..

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sun May 17 2015 07:25 AM.

Wes.......
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
thank you all for voicing your opinions... ive been trying to keep an open mind on this one.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you want to buy a sign at any auction try to get someone thats there smoke it over for you (or call the auction co and get one of there sign folks to grade it over the phone let you know issues, etc).

Even if its been looked over and graded things are easy to miss (i'd expect most places do not take a great deal of time with their grading. Once its been doctored from its sold state thats where a return/issue happens...If it were found to be a repo I am sure they'd give you all of your money back etc.

I recently bought a 8.5 rated sign (not from morphy)...I did not look at it (was sitting about 20 feet away from it)...it seemed cheap enough. Anyway when I got it down the darn thing had touch up on it all over...it should have been stated in the catalog but also I knew better...I should have looked at it before throwing my hand up. I have bought signs that were cleared stripped them and the sign under neat was better than with the clear on it...all in all its a bummer Bryce...hang it and enjoy or flip and recoup all or as much as you can.

JW

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
No offense Bryce, But this is all on you...
Clear coat is a RED FLAG that either means:
A) sign was faded then cleared to bring color back to it...OR
B) sign was restored then cleared. Period
To buy a sign under the assumption you can REMOVE the clear coating is rediculous and a first for me!
I have bought signs with small touch ups and removed them BUT NEVER have I ever heard of anyone trying to remove clear coating from a sign???
Auctionhouse advertised it well as cleared!...Even cleared it was well worth what you paid BUT now I highly doubt it since you have removed the restoration! Also how could you expect them to take it back LOL after you removed the restoration that someone probably paid to have done in the first place...
I would also like to see the sign in question AFTER you worked on it..... smile

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed May 20 2015 06:05 AM. Reason: remove inappropriate word
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved