Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thousands of Men and Women worked at Gas/Service Stations from the late 1910s to the 1970s.. Before the 1973 Oil Embargo and the start of the Full Service Gas Station general demise...

Maybe, you were one of those; The one's that raced to a vehicle, to check the Oil, pump the Gas, check the Water, check Tire Pressures and clean the Windshield and windows?... Me, I was lucky enough, to work at a couple different Stations in the 1960s... (Tidewater Flying A and Chevron)

I would see Attendants in Magazine ads, on TV and in Movies. You know what I'm talking about... They come to a Vehicle with sharply creased trousers, spotlessly clean shirt, some with a necktie or bowtie... Either a full size Uniform hat with the shiny black leather bill or a nice clean Garrison cap; set at an angle above their brow...

Of course not all Stations had Uniforms... But, at least for me and my friends... Those Stations that required a smart Uniform, were "a step up" from our smaller local Stations... (the Stations I worked at, had no set Business attire for us Employees... besides being a neat and clean as possible)

As a youngster, I always wanted to own one of those Uniforms (after serving in the Military, Uniforms lost a lot of their luster to me... LOL)

I now have a Flying A Uniform that hangs next to the "Gas themed" 1/2 Bath...(some have asked why I don't have it on a Manikin? And the truth is, they freak me out)...

I still get a kick out of looking at the Uniform each and every day... (for those wondering, I am way too fat to ever try and wear the Uniform... And yes, the Uniform shirt came to me with the Flying A and the "Bob" patches on it)

And I wondered how many of you have a Uniform(s) in your Collections?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
these were my grandfather's actual coveralls & hardhat when he worked for Cities Service... he did not work at a station, worked at a distribution terminal.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I got this it was still in paper wrapper and starched so bad it was like a board. Esso Patch is Embroidered on shirt.

IMG_0334b.jpg

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

I drove transport starting in 1968 for a Marathon jobber & this is the 1st uniform jacket they bought me.
It is the only uniform item I saved from 40+ years of driving & dispatching.
The hat was what the dealers were wearing at that time but I never had one so I bought this one.

Dave

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, you always come up with the most interesting topics and this one is no different!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, I'd be afraid of that pen exploding in the pocket. Would sure make a mess.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my Shell jacket which is really small, my wife is 4' 11", 98lbs and it is tight on her. Which is ok with me. The mobil work overhauls to my surprise was made by Lee.

shell.jpg lee.jpg mobile work uniform.jpg

Have gas all the time
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
A Mobil Jacket and Mobil Hat

1419180384150.JPG DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0172.JPG

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
A couple of more Mobil hats and a couple of jacket patches.

1422237936724.JPG hat.PNG DSC_0901.JPG 1422238089802.JPG

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forgot I have this one. HuskyBob, that is one cool hat, love it!

66 hat.jpg

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Daryl, no worries as the "inners" of the Pen are long gone...

The Owner of the Flying A Station where I worked, always had a "Veedol Can" pencil or ink pen in his pocket... When Customers used the pen/pencil, whichever one He had in his pocket at the time; they usually commented on them being "unusual" looking. He would smile and then hand it back to them; He said, something like; "A small token of our Appreciation, for you stopping by"... (my Family had a handful of them in our "Junk Drawer" by the telephone in our kitchen... Unfortunately, after many moves to new homes, they are long gone....)

After the Customer left, he would go back into the little cubby he had of an Office and within minutes he had another one in his pocket... I own a few different "Oil Can" pencils, so I decided that I would put one in the pocket of the Shirt....

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You folks have some great looking items! Thanks for sharing.... And I hope others, whether you have a Uniform Shirt, Jacket, Hat, cap, hat badge will share with the Group.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...no pics - but I have a couple pair of coveralls with Gulf chain stitched on the back; at least one Gulf uniform shirt; a couple of Gulf hat covers; some Gulf attendant name badges and assorted pinbacks...and countless patches...my favorite is an old flannel baseball uniform with felt letters on the back (naming a local Gulf jobber as the sponsor) that my Dad gave me for Christmas one year...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Mark, those sound fantastic!

Maybe, in the next couple of days, you can share some photos?

I know I would love to see them!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved