Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
If it's not priced, I am walking buy. I buy globes, cans, salt pepper shakers, signs or what ever catches my eye. So if I am walking around and something catches my eye and priced reasonable I might just buy it. Most of us don't walk around just trying to buy something cheap!

I look at guys like ^ above and when they don't price it I am think they are on a fishing trip trying to snag some sucker that might pay more than its worth. Or there just to lazy to write a price tag out.

Bottom line people can do what ever they want I guess.

Jarvis,

The fishing is all yours. You want 10 baits on 10 lines as a fish and you're gonna pick the guy whose got the worm tied on with thread and not a hook... LOL.

Seriously if your looking at S&Ps you're right next to the seller anyway, are you TOO SHY to ask a price, I seriously doubt you are!

I don't price a sign any higher whether a guy looks like a farmer or executive.

And apparently you don't get out to flea markets where 90% isn't priced. I've been to at least 10 show events this year already, and most sign guys don't have prices stuck on their signs and most other vendors except retailers or new item vendors don't either.

Maybe it's just a too-rich-to-bother thing with tag requirers.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: It's for sale
I price my stuff. When I'm busy I can't answer every ones questions on price. If they see the price and they're interested , they wait until I can take care of them.
also helps when I have to leave and my helper doesn't have to remember 100"s of prices. I dislike the guys that have to size up the buyer before giving a price.

Since I don't have helpers that's one less headache for me. And the guys who are sizing buyers up aren't sign sellers in my opinion, they are flea market cheats who would price a pair of socks for $50 to one guy and $5 to another.

The fuss about overcharging however is moot because if you're an informed buyer and not some dolt you aught to know what the piece your picking up is worth shouldn't you? YES!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Those requiring price tags or they walk away I view as mere bargain shoppers.

I'm sorry but there is not one person at a swap meet / gas show that isn't a "Bargain Shopper". There is not one of us whether we are a collector or a so called "Picker", that would not be looking for a bargain while were shopping a Swap meet or Gas show. I'm a collector but if I can find a sign for $200 that sells all day for $400, I'm buying because that gives me an extra few bucks to shop.
IMO as a collector, if it's not priced and your either busy with others or you have stepped away I'm 50/50 whether I wait or stop back. To me it's like going to a department store or a new car lot.... when it's priced I have a good idea if it's within my budget!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think you pretty much nailed it Mike . And as far as the pricing , advantages work both ways I would think.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Pfft... window shoppers.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
calling Mike & John window shoppers?... have you seen eithers' collection? they didnt get those collections by tire kicking and only buying under-priced items. I assure you that.

i think each side can be discussed without taking offense... its all preference after all.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I prefer that items be priced but it's not a deal breaker for me if they aren't priced.
I do wonder about some of the reasons behind not pricing items though.
Time....you have an asking price in mind. You have a selling price in mind. How much time does it take to write that price on a tag and stick it on a sign? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? About the same amount of time it takes to tell one perspective buyer the price.

The notion that people that won't ask a price is because they are bargain shoppers, window shoppers or snooty is absolutely absurd!
I'll use John as an example. He has clearly stated that he won't ask the price of an unmarked item. He's been labeled by Carolinaskies as a snooty bargain shopper or window shopper. ANYONE that knows John knows that he is anything but snooty! He'll strike up a conversation with anyone. No one is a stranger to him. He has an outstanding globe collection and he had also built an outstanding gas pump salt and pepper collection. You don't build collections like his by being a bargain or window shopper. It's a rarity in this hobby to be able to buy items of the caliber that John collects by being cheap.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a simpler solution (I do this when I am displaying a lot of paintings at once) at least for the folks that keep an inventory list of what they loaded up on the truck to take to the show. Put prices next to the items on the list and provide a copy of the list in plexi sign holders, taped to the window of your truck etc and for a larger list, a notebook. You may not list all your items, but it could give the buyers information about your pricing.

Just a thought...IMHO

p.s. I am sure there are some complications that would make this impractical but I was wondering if any one has tried or has seen this?

Last edited by Nicole; Thu Apr 23 2015 08:45 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pfft... window shoppers.

Well this nice thread takes a sad twist....These are the days I really miss DB because he would of responded before me to this sad shot.

And Thank you Bryce because you and I have done business and both left quite a few shows and auctions with big loads of nice stuff.

Paul, I could stoop to your level and smart a** comment with a response but it's not worth it. So I'll do this instead, if you ever up in central Wisconsin look me up and you can see my collection. But be prepared to spend some time because there's 3 buildings, a storage container, and a semi trailer full of my "window shoppers" purchases.

And if not just take a peek at my roster here.... http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=603231#Post603231

pfft....maybe the "window shoppers" are just looking for nicer stuff...LOL

Thanks
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These are outside shows that have rain and dew which makes tags fall off with 100's of items I can't be sure that they are all on after each and every event. I do my best. Most people ask since I bring nice stuff. I have never once walked away from a show thinking I lost sales because my tags fell off. Good stuff sells priced or not.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to add to my collection simply because I feel a need to force my views on another person and punish them for doing things differently.

No right or wrong answer seller has the right to sell their items as they please on their terms. Seller has the right to spend their money how and where they want.

Personally, I place a greater value on a collectable that I want then the money in my wallet. If, I have to ask for the price of an item then so be it. It opens the door for further communication and it's only a beginning point in the art of negotiating a deal. IMO makes no difference if the starting point is marked on the item or if it is verbally conveyed to me.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Gloves off dudes...

If you feel offended by my comments it was INTENTIONAL, because that's how I feel when people say they think a seller is out to ream them for more money because a precious tag isn't applied. That is patently false for the majority of vendors in ANY setting.

Further, I call you window shoppers, because that's what you are doing, you're looking at numerous signs and deciding that because something doesn't have a precious tag your time is too important to ask the vendor because their busy. Maybe their busy because they have customers who weren't tag-inhibited!

BTW, a person can have a huge collection, it doesn't make them a Saint or bargain-hunter either. I deal with plenty of people with large and small collections who don't require tags. The self-informed know a price is good or bad whether a tag is present or price is given by a vendor. The less informed have the opportunity when conversing with me to find out the whys and where-fors of my pricing of a common or rare item. Because that's part of what my job as a vendor is as I see it.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not a Redbox Sign Vending operation. I'm flesh and blood, human being standing across from you at an event. Treat me with some damned respect and not some servant who has to meet your tag pricing whims.

Yes, I'm glad some of you find offense with some terms I've used, because it means it pricks at you, showing you actually might come to comprehend that those of us who don't price stuff are human too and have as much right to not tag everything in sight. Be social, not stuck-up!

I appreciate those who have spoken up and said they aren't annoyed, stymied, fearful, or otherwise offended by the lack of tags. They are the more true spirit of collecting, they don't let a price tag get in the way of their collecting another piece. They aren't fearful of being overcharged. They brazenly step forth and talk to a live person and more often than not find they can not only buy that non-tagged item, but develop a connection that will lead to future purchases.

I'm done with the thread now, don't need the tag-dependent crowd lauding themselves any further.

Adieu to the thread.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's times like this that I really miss DB's insight. I suspect if he was still with us he post a reply asking Paul if he argues with the man in the mirror when he shaves in the morning.

Paul, some people prefer tags, some don't care. It's no big deal! Yet YOU feel the need to insult those that have opinions that differ from yours. This is not the first time you've done that.

Then you have the nerve to demand that people respect you after you've intentionally disrespected them.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
If you feel offended by my comments it was INTENTIONAL

Strange business practice indeed, to intentionally offend a sizable percentage of the potential customers out there. Most successful sales and service people in any business know that they need to treat potential customers with respect, even when they may disagree with them.

Very strange also is to call accomplished collectors "window shoppers" as if they are not serious in their intentions to buy.

Lucky for any seller that serious collectors will deal with nearly any kind of vendor if he is the only one who has what they want. Of course, accomplished collectors remember bad experiences of the past and avoid those sellers.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul I think this thread was going great with people expressing their opinions on both sides until you started the name calling. As a buyer/collector, tags are easier for me so that's what I like. But that's just my OPINION!!

So now that I'm labeled a "window shopper " my question is, Paul what do you want for your sign with a window? Cause that's a window shoppers dream lol!

image.jpg
Last edited by Mike M.; Fri Apr 24 2015 07:19 PM.

Thanks
Mike

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved