Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#605350 Wed Mar 25 2015 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have a chance to buy a 1963 factory Supercharger Studebaker Avanti. I've always liked the early supercharged cars. These are a fiberglass body car, like the Corvettes. Avanti's were only produced for 2 years. In 1962 only 1200 were manufactured and in 1963 only 4600 were produced. They all had the Hawk 289 V8 engine and front disc brakes. The Paxton supercharger was optional.

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the looks of this car. Sometimes I look at it and think; that's far out styling and kinda cool. Then at other times; I see a hint of ugly!

I'm seriously considering it...every collection should have a car in it that stands alone simply because its so far out of the box! Different is a good thing in a garage full of cars.

I asked the wife for her opinion...her answer was if "you" like it...then buy it.

What are your thoughts on the styling? Have you had the pleasure of owning one? Would you consider buying one?

Here's some pictures of cars from the net. The engine compartment photo is of the supercharged engine (supercharger is red and belt driven).

Avanti-1.jpg Avanti-2.jpg Avanti-3.jpg Avanti-4.jpg
Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Mar 25 2015 12:22 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
More pic's to help you provide your opinion.

Avanti-5.jpg Avanti-6.jpg Avanti-8.jpg Avanti-9.jpg

Dave GILL,
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is the color of the one I'm looking at.

Avanti-7.jpg
Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Mar 25 2015 11:51 AM.

Dave GILL,
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Dave,
I have had a number of ugly cars. They really tend to grow on you. My first classic car is a 1959 Ford Ranchero I brought home 20 years ago. My wife saw it and exclaimed "You are not parking that thing in front of our house". Now she will not let me get rid of it. I like that Studebaker just because it is different. Everybody and there brother has a 50's Chevy. Nice to see something different at the car shows. I say go for it.

Disclaimer: Chevy owners, do not send me any nasty PM's. I would love to have one of those Chevys. Some of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I appreciate you taking the time respond. I totally agree with you. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. The current owner has agreed to store it for me as I'm out of room.

The body lines the interior were years ahead of what everyone else was doing in 1963. The low production numbers were due to difficulty in producing the cars due to problems with the company contracted to build the bodies (same company that built the 1953 Corvettes). The 1963 bodies were built in house by Studebaker but they were unable to meet the demand and decided to shelve the project.

Dave GILL,
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Dave..... I think you've already got your answer from the most important person..... and she said go for it.

I believe Studebaker at the time owned Paxton superchargers.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

www.thestudebakergarage.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, I owned a 62 for a few years and loved it, you'll get lots of attention and many many stupid questions, my favorite was where's the engine. They're nice driving cars, hopefully yours has the twin traction, really helps with skinny tires.

I think that Stude looks great in blue.

Bob L. (private collector of items from the Western PA Petroleum Valley)
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
The Avanti is one of 'those' cars. Either you love it or hate it aesthetically. Interestingly the Avanti continued to be made at times long after Studebaker itself went out of business because of it's very uniqueness. That means parts are available if necessary.

White and Gold are terrible colors for the car, Silver or Red actually show it much better.

30 years ago it's styling was still forward looking, but now if you drove it into a parking lot of modern vehicles it looks aged. If you really like 58-64 era cars though I say go for it.

There is another car whose styling we all laughed at 30 years ago, but it actually fits with today's vehicles.

AMC Pacer

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've had many Studebakers , several at a time. Never could get
past the European look of those. I'd spend my money on a supercharged Hawk.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seen a few of those at car shows, always get your attention because of ihow unusual it is. You know, if you like the car I say go for it, it doesn't have to be a long commitment, enjoy it for a few years and sell later if you decide to. For me I've enjoyed fixing up the cars more than owning anyway! You know the early Volvos (63?) kind of had a similiar look. You may like that car if you like avantis. I had buddy buy one of those and I needed to warm up to it but ended up thinking it was a cool car eventually.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Dave sounds like you have your mind made up. My 2cents is it would never grow on me. Always liked the superhawk and their effort at trucks. I bought a 65 tbird once with the same notion that I would at some point get over the fact that I thought everything from the rear glass back was but ugly. Well it never happened.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Mar 26 2015 02:16 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hand Built, Quick Funkyness!
I'd love to get my hands on one but only if I had a collection otherwise. Not a car I would like to have as a only classic vehicle but some would be ecstatic to have that one as their one and only.
Anything with a factory SC is a winner and IMO, DO IT!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave, I think you should take a week to think about it. Just my opinion here, but if you're not in love with it then look for a different car... just my 5 cents (we don't use pennies anymore) smile

personally I haven't been a big fan of these Studebakers... I have the same far out or ugly dilemma as you. I wonder if a different wheel/ tire combo would even help?

Last edited by canadianoilguy; Fri Mar 27 2015 04:22 PM.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That a car that is one of its own , I think you need it Dave , just my opinion . Pretty neat and in a league of its own!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved