Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#605718 Fri Mar 27 2015 04:15 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
the pittsburgh winter has forced us all here to hibernate a bit more than usual, but with a break in the weather, I was able to take a short half hour ride up north to visit a wonderful friend and to talk a bit about life and a lot about collecting petroliana. Each visit I make, I am greeted with a friendly and warm handshake and today the extra treat of a hug and smile and surprise birthday gift from his terrific wife. Each visit up provides me a special glimpse into the stories behind a lifetime of collecting and an opportunity to leave knowing more than I did upon arrival. Today's conversation centered around trying to identify pumps from rarely seen photos of penn drake stations and ended with a lot of questions and worry about just exactly how two collectors such as us will someday have to find a way to move on from our collections with no real numbers of friends whom seem to enjoy the passion we share for the preservation of history. As I am a bit younger than my friend, i kidded him that I will follow his lead and be watching what he does as he faces the end sooner than I? However, as this past year has taught me, youth guarantees nothing beyond the here and now. So, I rode home today with new knowledge and a respect for my friend that would not have at all happened if not for me joining this site 5 years ago and him reaching out to a young inexperienced collector and offering help. I feel so fortunate, as I am sure others here can relate to. Thanks for a great couple of hours and a terrific friendship Savinsam.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Terrific! Its this same kind of experience and the feelings that go with it, that many of us have experienced before, but have never taken the time to share with others in the hobby! There is something very unique about this hobby that binds us together as kinfolk of a sort. We tend to understand a lot about each other, and are able to relate to things in life that outsiders would look strangely upon.
To have found a mentor that can articulate his passions about the hobby and his feelings about the history behind it, is a great find in itself. That kind of sharing of life, is something that most will never experience, and very few will ever understand!
Count yourself as one of the blessed, and as you travel along lifes pathways, don't forget how you came to be in possession of such knowledge, and remember to share it with others deemed worthy. This will insure the continuation of this great hobby for generations to come.
It really is a lot deeper and more serious than a few signs on the wall and a pump or two sitting around. Its given a passion and a purpose to my life that is hard to explain but understood by many! Again---Count yourself as one of the blessed!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Many thanks to both Kevin's for sharing the rewards of this hobby and the kinship that is developed among the new found friends we encounter!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
You're much too kind, Mr. Cavalcade. I've enjoyed your friendship as well as others in this hobby immensely. And a big "Thank You" to Jim Potts and this site. After all, it was Mr. Cavalcade's Ford truck avatar that prompted me to invite he and his truck to my tractor/ steam show event, where I have an old re-created gas station. Good things took off from there! Sam

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree! I have met great people and talked to many wonderful members on here! Can't wait to see you all at Iowa Gas!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved