Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600849 Sat Feb 28 2015 06:46 PM
KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was looking thru some old pictures trying to find a certain photo I still haven't found and came across several pics of some very memorable finds that I've had.

Thought it would be fun to post some pics and a little story for each one. Feel free to share any "Older Finds" you may have had, Remember, without pics, it didn't happen!

First up, around 1991 I got a call from an attorney settling an estate, I was able to buy these Porcelain Penn Drake signs and rare AK globe lenses and others, I passed on 3 quaker state signs, (He wanted 3x as much for each quaker tombstone then the Penn Drakes, I did not want to give him $300. for each quaker state.) the lenses were $25. each.

Around the same period I got a call from a Farmer who had a couple Gas Pumps and about 5 lubesters, I made the deal and spotted these signs thru a window in the barn, He had 4 Pontiacs, 6 RCA's and about 20 Buicks, He gave me 1 of each and said to come back for the rest as he was tired. I stopped in about 3 weeks later and found he had died, His kids said they were selling nothing.

Another call came from a junker who cleaned out a house and found these in a closet, He told me he had these round things for gas pumps, I had no idea what he had before driving an hour to see.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Dang....looks great, would have got my blood pumping. Awesome pump plates. Did you save a set? What a great thread theme...I'm hoping we get to see some old scores!!

Last edited by Boxcar; Sat Feb 28 2015 06:51 PM.
KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
after attending my 1st Gas Bash, Ron Pritchards in NY, I drove by this place, no one was home but I tracked down his contact info and it took about a year for him to answer the phone, I set up an appointment for after the next Gas Bash and he was true to his word and met me there at noon. He could not believe anyone was interested in his stuff, Note the Arno Air Meter, and the prize I was after in the window to the left, I was able to strip everything off his building and also get the approx. 20" wide United Motors neon. dusted it off and it lit right up.
I'm sure if he ever answered his phone this stuff would have been long gone, It sucked running out of the Gas Bash early but it sure paid off.

This was a 1 stop shopping spree, went after something completely different and came home with this load.

KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Boxcar
Dang....looks great, would have got my blood pumping. Awesome pump plates. Did you save a set? What a great thread theme...I'm hoping we get to see some old scores!!

Not pump plates, they were approx. 24 x 36 curb signs, I kept one for a few years but eventually sold it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like reading posts like this. It sure is a great feeling when you can buy items like these and the story that goes with them is almost as good.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I had a dream of being a big time pump restorer in the beginning, I did restore several but time and other hobbies got in the way. This was 1 load, My first summer I picked up 50 single pumps thru a free ad posted in a weekly paper. Damn those were the days.

These fence hangars were advertised for $100. each, When I got there the seller said he was glad someone showed an interest and if I wanted them all I could take them for $300. as he was getting ready to move and wanted them gone. Sadly I left the plastic ones which now looking at the pics are quite attractive.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Man oh man talk about the good old days great story and heck of a score especially all those for signs for $300 would be a slim chance of hearing stuff like this today

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These old finds have my anticipation level in high gear!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In 1995 I got these three pumps for $500.00

Also in 1995 I got this Bennett 541 in trade for doing some body work and the Bennett 646 for $200.00 when I went to get the 541. I still have both of these.

Got this Wayne 866 in 1997 for $550.00

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well i missed the Good Ole Days but have had some good find since i have been collecting. Too bad all of these have moved on to fund my Mobil addiction.
Found in an old garage. Got it for under 20 bucks! This is a can i miss the most. Have had 3 of them but had to sell to get some rare PPP's

eBay goodie i got when i first started collecting. $35 shipped!

Another Goodie i got for $75.

And the best one ever. Guy found it covering a well. He got the sign for free. I paid 125 for an early Cincinnati company.

Sad to see some of the goods gone, but i do like them Pegasus's!!!
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Not pump plates, they were approx. 24 x 36 curb signs, I kept one for a few years but eventually sold it.

Envious, a different time. I can only hope to land on a grouping like these. Thanks for sharing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good thing you took pictures way back. Nice finds.
I wish we had taken pictures back in the day. Only started when we built our first web site about six years ago. Now we put almost everything on our web site under "Things Found". Over 500 pictures now. Fun to look back.
Take a look.... https://oldgaspumpguys.com/Things_found_page_1.php

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great pictures and thanks for sharing! Those must have been the days! Dang! Although I have had some really good buys also in the short 6 years I've been doing it.

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved