Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#600725 Fri Feb 27 2015 08:37 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have been helping with the estate of a friend and I fell into these porcelain signs. Being new to all this, I have no idea what the value is on these. What would be a fair price to give to the widow? I'm not sure, but I think these are original, but I'd like to know the era also.

Red Crown, 29 3/4", says Patented Oct 12 1915 on both sides. There has been some touch-up in half a dozen places, but it's hard to see in the photo.

White Eagle, 29 3/4", says *urdick N. American Bldg. Chi & Balo. Enl. & Nov. Co, ** (can't read the last)

Diesel Fuel, 36"x24" excellent condition, just some minor chips/wear along the bottom. Is this a Chevron sign?

Zerolene, 24"w x 23 3/4"h says Trade Mark Reg US Pat. Off.

Red Crown side 1.jpg Red Crown side 2.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
OP Offline
B
Red Crown & White Eagle

Red Crown touch up.jpg White Eagle side 1.jpg
B
OP Offline
B
White Eagle & diesel

White Eagle side 2.jpg Diesel side 1.jpg
B
OP Offline
B
diesel & Zerolene

Diesel side 2.jpg Zerolene side 1.jpg Zerolene side 2.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Diesel fuel is a Chevron sign, probably 40s/50s. The white Eagle, Zerolene, and Red Crown all date to the same era of 1920s.

Last edited by 2 Gallon Luke; Sat Feb 28 2015 10:09 AM.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
B
OP Offline
B
Almost 270 views and no one knows what these are worth?
Ken

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sold a similar red crown for $700, diesel I'd guess in the $500 neighborhood, zerolene maybe $150 to someone starting out, no idea on the other.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see two sales in 2013 for white eagle keynoil sign, identical sign but MUCH rougher, bullet holes, lots of rust, not nice signs, $385 and $400. Source worthpoint. I would think yours worth 2, 3 times that but not sure.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bowtiefan
Almost 270 views and no one knows what these are worth?
Ken

In todays volatile market, its extremely hard to place a value on an old porcelain sign with a few condition issues. Just when you think you have an idea of value, a sale somewhere will prove you wrong.
The best indicator available anymore is to keep current on auction sale results and monitor ebay constantly.
Even the, results on one or two sales may not be a good indicator of value because of outside, uncontrollable influences!
A good case in point is the Kelly tire sign that sold recently for 75K + buyers premium. Several knowledgeable collectors had it pegged to bring 45K to 55K at the high end. It turns out that at least 2 people wanted it bad enough to sail on past the higher value, very quickly!
Your lack of responses is probably because there is no one reading your request that has sold, or seen one of these sell recently!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
people might also know what they are worth but dont choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research... so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

another reason could be because as soon as some mention a value on here, others are quick to jump on them and say they are wrong, leaving many silent as result.

here's my guesstimate...

Red Crown - $500 (uncertain how much touchup)
White Eagle - $750
Diesel Fuel - $650
Zerolene - $250

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
B
OP Offline
B
Bryce, you make some valid points. I did try looking at the sold items on ebay but without much luck. I couldn't find the White Eagle or the diesel, the Zerolene was pretty nice, but I don't know how much to knock off for condition. I did find a couple Red Crowns, but again I'm not sure about condition. Being new to this, I didn't know where else to look, and I value the members here because I know they know the difference between original and fake, and I don't. I'm guessing that these must be kind of hard to find? I didn't realize that. I was just hoping someone had an idea off the top of their head. I do appreciate the responses I did get, and it gives me an idea of what to offer my friends widow.
Thanks a lot
Ken

Last edited by bowtiefan; Mon Mar 02 2015 07:51 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ken,
Although the info is getting a bit dated, a search of Matthews Auctions website will usually show results of what signs and globes have sold for in the past.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I usually start with completed ebay auctions but that just goes back about six months, then general internet search (that may pop up Matthews or Proxibid, etc) then worthpoint.com. If you can find a trend on similar condition items, maybe two or three, I figure that gives you a pretty good idea.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Red Crown - $375 Based on touchups.
White Eagle - $800+ Condition is nice!
Diesel Fuel - $200-$250
Zerolene - $175-$200

This is what I'd "guess" they would go for if sold here on OG. Ebay well that's another ball game. You've got some neat signs here! Just my guess not saying you can't get more for them.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: BryceG
people might also know what they are worth but dont choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research... so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

another reason could be because as soon as some mention a value on here, others are quick to jump on them and say they are wrong, leaving many silent as result.

I think Bryce is spot on with this comment. One of the biggest reasons I have alack of participation on this site.

Last edited by Maxgas; Tue Mar 03 2015 04:25 AM.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved