Next Thread
Print Thread
#175692 Thu Feb 18 2010 08:43 AM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
got the parking meter without a pole or stand.

seen several with some sort of fitting underneath for desktop use or with a pole.

Any ideas or places to find mounts or stands for them?

candy machine stands???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like them meters. I use about anything I can get a 2 inch pole to fit in. My chain link fence posts, umbrella stands (needs a little adapter), big heavy insulators, plow disks, things I found at yard sales, 2" threaded pipe and a pipe flange. The meters become top heavy very easy. The higher you go the bigger the base needs to be. As my Grandson learned very quickly. The meter was not injured as it leaned over on top of him (short brown meters in the first picture). He shed a few tears but was back playing within minutes. Still amazes me that a cup full of coins and parking meters will keep a child having fun for hours. Along with 2" standard pipe I use the 2" gray electrical conduit. It is easy to cut, won't rust and fits into the big insulators. With a little adapting a candy machine stand would work great. You will also need the mounting hardware that usually doesn't come with a meter. You can pick up the mounting hardware from ebay or fabricate your own. I have done both. Here's some pictures of meters and their stands and what the mounting hardware can look like.
Mike

Parking Meters 01.jpg Duncan 02.jpg Bob's Duncan 002.jpg Parking Meter Mount 001.jpg
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
What did you use with the red one, second from the left?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
VERY GOOD EYE YOU HAVE! That is a cast iron Miller Meter pole cover. Long ago they sat at the bottom of meter poles to ad a touch of class. Once in awhile you will see flimsy tin ones still in use. You can buy aluminum Park-O-Meter ones and some blank ones from ebay. It is the only cast iron one I have seen and is my favorite stand.
Mike

Miller Meter Base 001.jpg Meter pole covers 001.jpg Meter pole covers 002.jpg
G
G
I was amazed that there is very little on the web as far as advice on making a mount for a parking meter.

I am very new to the hobby and did not want to spend $$$ on an L-shaped wall mount.

I wanted a short but stable mount to place it on my Bar.

There are some pics on the web of nice stands, but no instructions to make them.

I figured I’d post a few Pics of how I did mine, with a description of where to get the materials.

Harbor Freight
8-Inch Soil Tamper $18 (after using a 10% off Coupon).
Home Depot/Amazon have them for about $40 if you do not have a Harbor Freight Near you.

Self-Adhesive Diamond plate rubber Mat--- $4 at Harbor Freight --- cut to size (8”x8” after painting)

Cut the handle of the tamper to about .75 inches LESS than the height of your pipe. This allows for the pipe to slide all the way into the meter base. I cut mine to 2 inches..

Home Depot:
2-inch (inner diameter) black metal pipe ($8/foot)
Tube of liquid Nails ($4)

Have Home Depot cut the pipe to the size you want. It is real hard to cut on your own. You pay by the foot. I had them cut me 3 lengths to experiment with (2-inch, 2.75 inch and 3-inch).

They only charged me for half a foot ($4). It does NOT need to be threaded.

After trying them all, I settled on the 2.75 inch pipe.

Below is what a 2.75 inch pipe looks like inserted in my Miller Model 50.

It has about a half inch below the meter. I wanted a low mount—but wanted enough length to keep the meter stable on the base.

I had to limit it to 4 Pics... But it should be good enough to work with.

Send Comments or Questions.

1 Harbor Frieght 8.JPG
Harbor Freight Tamper

3 Cut wood 2 inch Web .jpg
Cut Handle with Screws

5 cut pipe 275 In Web .jpg
Cut Pipe

Meter Mounted Web .jpg
Finished Product

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings