Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Guys, I recently got a chance to purchase this Gas pump. It is an M&S 80 I think from other pictures I've seen. It will be my first pump, so I'm not well educated on them. I am curious if you guys can give me some advice. He said I can have it for $1100, is that a fair deal even though it's missing the face and pump plate? What would be a fair value on it as is? Thanks.

MS80.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thats a good price... i just bought one for about the same and had to have it shipped on top of it!

ive heard the tops are worth around $700 in good condition

Last edited by BryceG; Fri Jan 23 2015 05:21 PM.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thats a awesome first pump.You need to jump on it.For I've seen and have paid 500.00 to 750.00 for a top along. Great find my friend.Enjoy for me my first pump meant I was hooked on the hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the back is as good as the front get it. They might have the face plate also. nice pump

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy it!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let me know where it is if you don't get it !

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Try to get him to throw in the lawn chair with the deal. wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Decent price!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yes, buy it

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Have you politely made him a counter offer? I mean, it's surely nice at $1100, and if it was the Sunoco version I would likely and comfortably pay $1100. In it's condition, I really love it at $900.

Oh yah, and cool pump!! And it would make a great first pump too!!! And if you get it and get it fixed up a bit, please start a thread showing it to us in it's new home!!

Last edited by Steve C.; Sat Jan 24 2015 12:13 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I really like those pumps!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sold one of those script tops (top only) on ebay about six months ago, think it sold for about $500. Ive sold several restored Mobil script top pumps over the years.

I have mixed feelings about them, one of the few times I have "parted out" a pump rather than restoring it. I personally realy like them once restored, think their sharp, but since they lack a globe, seems like they lack broad appeal to the masses, more of a collectors pump. I can never seem to get extra value out of them once restored, over just a MS80 with globe, so decided to sell the top seperately. No way I could add a globe to that top, that would be a sin! I have seen other people do that at shows though.

$1100 seems high to me but I havent bought one of these pumps in a long time. We were lucky, we found a stash of like eight of these at one time like twenty five years ago, all gone now! I agree with Steve, $900 would be a better price. What are MS80 / Waynes worth these days (without the script), like $350-$400, so $900 makes sense.

Hope you get it, very cool pump, I personnaly think they are awesome.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Mon Jan 26 2015 02:01 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul-- I sold and delivered 3 MS 80's to Iowa Gas last year and they ranged from $650 to $1000

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
OP Offline
M
Well I picked it up today, to answer steve c, he came down to $1100 from $1500. I was able to get it for $1000 when I showed up with something to trade with as well. I guess I now need a face, a nozzle and a pump plate...I'm thinking about keeping the weathered look and getting nice used items to put with it...would fit in with the beat up signs, etc. I have on my fence... Also I really would like to wire it up so it lights up. The socket is there, does anyone have any advice on how to do that? Thank you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Congrats on your purchase. You'll most likely need to take the top off to reach the ekectrical conduits, maybe the meter, depends on how it's mounted. There will be a hub with three conduits going to light bulbs one going down inside the pump frame. Take that out. Only mounted with two bolts but fishing it out will be hard. (I've always done full tear downs for complete restorations, so removal is easy for me). Once out, use a vice, pipe wrench, most likely some heat from a torch to remove the conduits from the center hub. Pull out the old wiring, look for black insulating goo in the conduits, melt it out with a torch if you have to. Remove the porcelain sockets and get new ones. You'll most likely find an electrical switch in the hub, replace that if you want to keep the switch. It's usually a standard light switch that needs some trimming to fit. Rewire, I like to use three wires, using an extionsion cord works well. If you want, nows a good time to mount a dimmer switch, mount it in a receptacle box to the frame near the small access door so you can reach it. If you used three wire, ground it in the dimmer switch or somewhere in the conduit hub. Hope that helps.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved