Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it would be nice to bring a truck and trailer and load up with stuff, there were soo many large and heavy items I held back on at the it's a gas show because it was a 21 hour drive for me, so I flew in and took items back with me on the plane and shipped the rest back ups, I don't mind traveling just one large local show would be nice.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky #593795 Fri Jan 23 2015 11:58 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have been doing my show for nine years,every year it gets bigger and better. I would love to make it the premier east coast show. Anyone near should plan to attend. There is a ton of stuff to do near by and we are in an antique community with about 15 stores. Anyone wanting to come feel free to contact me and I will assist in any way I can. Thanks

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This will be decided by the market. If there is enough supply and people, there will be shows to match. If not you'll see the quantity and quality of shows change. Capitalism 101.
Added to the mix are the more frequent high volume auctions that will affect the supply needs and impact shows down stream.

Gasman84470 #593811 Fri Jan 23 2015 02:01 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another question... does an auction help a show?
If so, before a show or after?
Seller might think the auction before will hurt his sales... after gives a seller to buy more or buyer might save his money for a item in the auction?

Thoughts?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #593901 Fri Jan 23 2015 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The market will decide if there are too many shows.
I can't imagine MO, IA, IL, IN, WI, MI, and OH being able to support another show.

Yes, we need two shows each at Peotone and Chip's.

Duration of the show should be determined by the size of the show. I'd like to see the shows start on Friday or Saturday and end on Saturday or Sunday. The mid-week shows are difficult to attend for those of us that are still working.

An auction in conjunction with a show is good.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #593911 Fri Jan 23 2015 10:28 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I know this was not the question, but I think a show in the Rocky Mountian area would work? Centrally located in the country. Colorado?
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
DuceCpe #594084 Sat Jan 24 2015 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it is good that we have all these shows. More shows means possibly closer to some people. Being in Western, KS there are not to many close. Most are a ways away. Just my opinion.

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #594180 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Good topic John, I wonder who you were talking with...hum..LOL
First I realize that one monkey does not make a zoo so my opinions are from my perspective.

The shows that are Spring and Fall, Peotone and Dixie are long established shows that have lasted the test of time. Both shows and both seasons are excellent shows to attend. I wish I could attend the East coast shows but working full time does not allow me..that will change soon I hope. I have always admired John Mancino and Dave Burk for their dedication and impressive travel distance to make it to the Midwest shows, they always bring a nice selection and I hope to make it to John's someday.

Yes, there was a ridiculous amount of shows concentrated in the midwest in the spring this year. It seems to me that we are not getting new dealers into the hobby. Same dealers, same stuff at the shows. This is only a problem if the shows are close, spread them out and the problem goes away. It is a simple matter that most of what we collect originally came from bulk houses and getting new merchandize to market is getting harder and harder because most bulk houses have been cleaned out of the good stuff. This is the reason I think we don't see a lot of new sellers, they can't find the stuff to bring to market. The dealers that have been around awhile seem to have a skill for finding the stuff and bringing it to shows.

But when you look at the number of shows from a geographic standpoint there is plenty of room for more shows. Some areas of the country with large populations don't have an established gas show and I have always wondered why.

I hear on a somewhat regular basis that somebody says "hey lets start a gas show" and for the most part I am against the idea anywhere around the Great Lakes/Midwest area. I have to agree with Wes, the strong will survive. I think some of even the bigger shows don't get the floor traffic that they should based upon the population area and often wonder about that. There is always items at gas shows that crossover into other collecting categories, maybe they need promoted more.

Here in Indianapolis at the State Fairgrounds they don't open the grounds for just one event, they have multiply events and sometimes it's fun to hit the other shows and see whats happening. Could a gas show be paired up with an established antique show/car show and keep the shows bunched together but separate? That is done already to some degree but it seems like an idea that might have potential if given enough considerations to work out the flaws.

Every show I do may have some good/bad points but my favorites are the ones that have a definite start and end times and the promoter manages that. I feel bad for the guy that shows up when the show is advertised and most of the dealers are packed and gone. Another topic of debate with show promoters is like the "What can first, the chicken or the egg?", Who makes the show, the public or the dealers? You can debate that both ways but good show managers and responsible dealers make for a happy buyer.

Respectfully submitted, Tom.

Last edited by tbuckles; Sun Jan 25 2015 10:59 AM.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
tbuckles #594191 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tbuckles
my favorites are the ones that have a definite start and end times and the promoter manages that. I feel bad for the guy that shows up when the show is advertised and most of the dealers are packed and gone.

...agreed...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #594202 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
[quote=tbuckles]my favorites are the ones that have a definite start and end times and the promoter manages that. I feel bad for the guy that shows up when the show is advertised and most of the dealers are packed and gone.

I agree. To get anything good at Pate I rent a spot and go 2 days before the show starts.
Opening day is just for straglers.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
tbuckles #594210 Sun Jan 25 2015 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent post Tom.

As for there being so many midwest shows and limited number of vendors....I'm not sure that number of shows needs to be spread out more geographically. Spreading the dates out would help. Vendors would being able to bring fresh merchandise to the shows. Buyers would have a chance to replenish their funds between shows. The Dayton show would likely benefit the most from a new date or maybe it just needs to be promoted better.

The reason some shows don't have much foot traffic is lack of promotion. The Peotone shows have outstanding attendance. I don't think any show promoter worked harder than Wayne Swearengen (sp) when he was establishing the Peotone shows. Tim and Kevin have continued to do an excellent job since they took over.

I always enjoyed the antique show that was near the Indy Ad show.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved