Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unsure, what further info you are seeking.

These were utilized anywhere a light was needed that could be mounted on a 1 1/2" pipe. That includes gas stations, parking areas, walk ways and ect.

The green porcelain ones are the most common. The green on yours has been etched and faded by exposure to the weather. You won't be be able to reverse that wear and that will effect their value which I place in the $125-$150 range each.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Originally Posted By: Broken Arrow
I was wondering if there was a way to identify what kind of service station that they may have come from? Or were things like lights dependent on local suppliers?

The revere lights like yours were widely used at gas stations on the pump island by many brands of gas. No one brand can claim them. While a specific example may truly have come from a Texaco station, that doesn't really make it a Texaco fixture.

This forum has had some colorful and some bad behavior by a few pickers. That has caused the "picker" word to be a hot button issue with some members. We hope that each person is judged only on his/her own actions, not because of a profile built out of the mistakes of others.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Do that lamp some justice and put a Mogul bulb in it.

mogul.jpg
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Like I said, I suspected that when people were putting in a specific oil company/brand, they were just keywording to get more views on their auction. Sorry that some of you have had a hard time with some pickers....it's never good when people display poor behavior, whether pickers, collectors, restorers, or spectators. Again, I appreciate the help.

B
OP Offline
B
Where would one acquire a bulb like that? Are they accurate to the time period of these lamps? I am guessing that they are the large base (what is the proper name for those?) One of the lights had an adapter,but that tiny little household bulb just did not look right, and I am sure it wouldn't put off enough light either.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Unsure, what further info you are seeking.

These were utilized anywhere a light was needed that could be mounted on a 1 1/2" pipe. That includes gas stations, parking areas, walk ways and ect.

The green porcelain ones are the most common. The green on yours has been etched and faded by exposure to the weather. You won't be be able to reverse that wear and that will effect their value which I place in the $125-$150 range each.

I would agree that is a fair average value. One other factor that effects the prices is the popularity of "Industrial Decor". I could probably get more money by selling them that way, but to be honest, I would rather the lamps go to someone who will restore or use them in the way they were meant to be, with some gas pumps. Instead of hanging in some hipsters living room.

I have sold one, (to a collector) I have one left, and may offer it on here, when I have the proper privileges to do so.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The harps are worth as much or more than the shades in that condition IMO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some big bulbs. I do not know if you can still buy these type bulbs in the store any more. I got these on ebay. The middle one is a 200 watt and the is the smallest wattage I could find in that size. The big one is a 1000 watt and the smallest I could find was 800 watt. They are cool. I used the 200 watt in a station lighter but have not tried the 1000 watt.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just happen to be working on Revere island lights, this what they look like.

island lights sm.jpg
Last edited by Done4; Tue Jan 13 2015 02:01 PM.

Have gas all the time
Done4 #592052 Tue Jan 13 2015 12:50 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Love 'em. Really great. Is the porcelain in original condition, or did you repaint them? Thanks for posting the photo!

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Matt. Do you know what the base is called?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The shades are original and just cleaned up, the casting have been repainted,

Last edited by Done4; Tue Jan 13 2015 01:17 PM.

Have gas all the time
Done4 #592083 Tue Jan 13 2015 04:06 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Very nice.

F
F
nice, I like those bases / posts. where does a guy come up with those?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The two big ones have a mogul base like the one Cold Pizza posted. The one he posted looks like the middle one in the picture I posted.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved