Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#591639 Sun Jan 11 2015 10:55 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Ironically Barrett Jackson is not known for crazy prices on gas globes and signs, in their auction anyway. I'm getting results from people there like Lonnie Hop and Ron Bettin. Absolute craziness!!! Never seen prices so high, sometimes triple, 4X and 10X retail!!! Prices do not include 15% or tax!!! Broken Dino $800 plus 15%, Common Skelly globes over $1700! Gold Crown $3000! Phillips 77 $8000!!! That's ten times retail!!! Common Texaco $1500. 1960s Mobil capco $1500!!! Power globe, worth $300-$1500!!! Progressive globe $1600 I sell them for $250-$300!!! American on metal $1800!!! Never seen crazy prices like this!!! Nothing was even close to retial yet, couple more days of auctions left...Scott B.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is complimentary alcohol there.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Def not the place to get the deals. LOL

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Well now people will have to quote two prices on their value estimates:
Real World Prices-RWP
Barrett Jackson Prices-BJP
I will be watching the football games, way more entertaining (I hope).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess we'll have to add another zero to our insurance coverages.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What did the Harley sign bring guys ??

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Think the Harley neon sells Tuesday

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Scott; You and I both have been around 25+ years and all I can say is these buyers are in the more money than brains club. I understand it's their money but I doubt they obtained it doing business this way. They must have inherited it or won the lottery. Ron Lease-Collector. ;;;;;;;;;;

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Just got more updates! Just can't believe it...Marathon Super M $3700!!! That's an $850 globe...Single Metro on glass $1700!!!-$250 tops...Texaco Sky Chief $3000! Seriously! What are these people thinking? Oh right, they are not! Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think we've touched on this before, but BJ doesn't take consignments, right? They just buy their own inventory every year to sell at their auctions I believe. I haven't been to that in a few years but it is definitely another world when it comes to the people walking around there with more money than you can imagine. Somehow they have managed to get billed as the top place to be for the elite to blow their money. It's a lesson in American capitalism for sure....GB

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Makes you wish you could have found a way to slip some into the auction;).

Last edited by TheGriffin; Sun Jan 11 2015 03:48 PM.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Ron, people I sell too and know haven't bought lottery tickets to have a lot of money.. they own business and they work hard to have what they have, they own large companies and usually employ a lot of people, hence making a lot of money,, there are a lot of wealthy people in the world.. and they aren't in a hobby of collecting this stuff the old fashion way like the rest of us.. they are usually car collector guys with 50-150 million dollars in collector cars and this stuff we like is just pure decoration. While their making their millions their entertainment is seeing who can outbid who at BJ... don't you think , :),,, JMO.. ps. A lot of those guys spend more on one car than most collectors of gas pumps, globes and signs in our field.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Someone let me know what that Penn Champ 2 gallon brings. Its realistically a $150 can, so lets see how high it goes...

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Scott, they and others are not informed buyers, but do have money. Just look at the results on ebay for the new signs that have been beat up to look old. Sad but true, lack of knowledge, and we are all going to be hurt by this in the future. I am sure the BJ people or Pratt people are in somewhat disbelief also, Only its going their way.

Craig
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
This just makes me wonder what the really nice stuff will bring this coming week. Yes, I am sure we all would like to have stuff there to sell, but then again would we feel that good about it after seeing what happened.

Craig
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I was there several years ago and the same crazy prices were happening then as well. Billionaires whats 5000.00 to much when you have that kind of money.

G
G
I think part of it is bragging rights to say your piece came from the Ron Pratte collection.

Greg Z
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I think part of it is bragging rights to say your piece came from the Ron Pratte collection. AGREE 100 % and To say I bought it at BJ as well.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
All good comments here...when you have zillions of dollars $5000 for a gas globe is like one of us going to lunch! But still, the naive stupidity to waste your money like that without educating yourself boggles my mind. Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
There is complimentary alcohol there.

The complimentary alcohol does not begin until tomorrow (Monday), so pick something else LOL!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am going to guess people seen ron Pratt collection and they are going to copy it. The guys buying are not even tune of its value! They have a totally different playing funds than us. You could have put a $15,000 globe in that auction and it could have only brought $3000.
These guys are buying to decorate... Not collecting.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was able to buy some Olds pieces for $50 &$75 for a buddy and I got the Dura rocker for less than I was willing to spend. I was then blown completely out of the water on anything else I was even remotely interested in. Fun to watch for me.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Chevrolet SS have you found anything that is coming home with you?

Craig
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Greg you did good

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Rory is brilliant at marketing and at the end of the day this is what the stuff is worth! And yes when your dealing with income levels of $1,000.000+ does it really matter if you want something what its worth at these levels? We should be happy that this is going on as it will make our collections worth more at the end of "our" day!

Last edited by vmc44; Sun Jan 11 2015 08:27 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good for collectors I guess with large globe collections with possible investment interests some day and nothing wrong with that . Bad for the new collectors on wanting to start . Like Jarvis said people will see that auction and here we go. Bad enough Barrett Jackson infested the car market , now working on the gas and oil .I don't pay attention to there side shows much anymore. It seems like a big rooster competition, imo.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Prices from BJ are NOT good for collectors unless the want to sell their collections at BJ! Other wise we are back to normal prices in the hobby & collecting world we live in.
GO SEAHAWKS! Our Northwest team.

Wayne
S
S
Why is everybody outraged about this. This too shall pass, it's crazy because everybody wants a piece of the collection and the rest of the auctions we go too will not see a bump in prices because we all will not let it happen. We are the majority and market pricing has always determined by the majority.

I researched all the past prices that BJ got and this far exceeds what history they experienced. They did a great job and had a record number of absentee registration as well as onsite. So take it stride this will not move the market.

Hey I'm ecstatic because I bought a one of a kind clock and might have overpaid less than 10% if any at all. I got a story type item.

Always looking for back-lit advertising clocks, prefer Telechron, American Time & Electric Time. Also Pam in good condition.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Crazy stuff with those prices!!!

Braden Splichal

Originally Posted By: Sparky27
Why is everybody outraged about this. This too shall pass, it's crazy because everybody wants a piece of the collection and the rest of the auctions we go too will not see a bump in prices because we all will not let it happen. We are the majority and market pricing has always determined by the majority.

I researched all the past prices that BJ got and this far exceeds what history they experienced. They did a great job and had a record number of absentee registration as well as onsite. So take it stride this will not move the market.

Hey I'm ecstatic because I bought a one of a kind clock and might have overpaid less than 10% if any at all. I got a story type item.

Well I for one certainly hope it does not move the market. I cannot afford this hobby without the help of Barrett Jackson smile

Owner of Classic gauge and Cluster. www.classicgaugeandcluster.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
prices in the ozarks this week will probably be reflecting BJ by alot of vendors

Always Available 973-932-2980

Joe - Iron Vise LLC
sales@ironvise.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: j0eyjuice
prices in the ozarks this week will probably be reflecting BJ by alot of vendors

Not if those vendors want to sell anything! The two venues cater to different markets.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every January we talk about this,and for 11 mos. after,we see it happen no place else.
The fact that BJ won't consign Automobilia,but will buy Automobilia outright,then sell them as their own,should tell you something right there.
Their bidders will overpay for it & BJ doesn't want to share that.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i believe they do take consignments... just don't know what it takes to be an consignor.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
maybe your name has to be R Brinkman ? Looks to me like he controls the automobilia part, " lucky guy " or just plain smart is a better guess, smile

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Jan 12 2015 07:23 AM.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
we are all going to be hurt by this in the future.

Originally Posted By: Rabbitman
I think we've touched on this before, but BJ doesn't take consignments, right? They just buy their own inventory every year to sell at their auctions I believe. I haven't been to that in a few years but it is definitely another world when it comes to the people walking around there with more money than you can imagine. Somehow they have managed to get billed as the top place to be for the elite to blow their money. It's a lesson in American capitalism for sure....GB

Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
Every January we talk about this,and for 11 mos. after,we see it happen no place else.
The fact that BJ won't consign Automobilia,but will buy Automobilia outright,then sell them as their own,should tell you something right there.
Their bidders will overpay for it & BJ doesn't want to share that.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Watching this from the bidding gallery the last two days I noticed that there were 3 guys that were bidding up the majority of the high dollar items. Just a guess, but I believe at least two of the three were taking the opportunity to build collections. Obviously can't say for sure but I highly doubt that they had any idea of what the market value was for any of the items they were bidding on and they really didn't care - they wanted it and were going to get it no matter what the cost. They have the ability to do that and I envy them. But at the end of the day, do we really think this will have a major impact on hobby prices - the heart and soul of this hobby is embedded in guys that use this site and others just like us. I don't believe anyone here is going to go out and pay $2000 for an Apco capco globe just because someone at BJ did. Insanity will only last for a few more days and this too shall pass.

Steve
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Rising tides lift all ships' for us collecting before ebay ,prices fluctuated a lot between sales and venue I for one like seeing compatition in collecting stuff. u can't take it with u . U can't fix a car with it. It's a art market like buying modern art.but looks better in the garage . When I decollect I hope to get more money than I payed to show up my brothers hedge funds return.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Chevrolet SS have you found anything that is coming home with you?

Yes

Ron Gordon
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Everyone wants to say they have part of the Ron Pratt collection. That is a big part of what is going on here. His collection is in the neighborhood of 1500 pieces that will cross the block.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with the argument that this is probably more about bragging rights among the guys with money. It's a game. Who can hold their breath longer? Who can drink more shots? Who can outspend whom? is how the rich boys play. What you and I take seriously with careful thought, they play games with on a whim. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It's their money and that's a very exclusive club. In the end, it's a successful day for the auctioneer and the seller. So, good for them.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree that prices are very high on this stuff. Anyone who has ever been to an auction, has seen bidders overpay for things? I have been {that} person, a time or two. An auction like Barrett Jackson is a Premier Event. Like it or not, they do a great job in promoting and executing the entire affair. I think that if a buyer is spending his money, he can certainly pay as much as he wants. If it wasn't done at Barrett Jackson, it would just be some other auction house. The discussion would be the same, the names would be changed, to protect the innocent. " Just the facts, Ma'am." Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
whats the story on the Beacon sign... was there something less desirable on that one than the 2 that sold a couple years ago by Matthews?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron , Was the Harley sign all original ???? Thanks

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
$190,000.00 for a Model A circus pickup wagon !! Tuesday evening. They also announced that so far the total for memorabilia is $4.9 million.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Tue Jan 13 2015 09:15 PM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The weather is warm, the cars are amazing, and the facilities here are stocked full of petro, cars, and stuff for your shop.

It's like a super bowl for car guys.

That being said, the petro auction portion of this extravaganza is not based on our reality here in OG land as we know it.

People can bash the B/J auction all they want. I am having a blast, and if you're a registered bidder yes the alcohol is free. Makes me laugh when I hear fellow members bash stuff they've never personally witnessed.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Been there twice, awesome show and auction... people do need to be there once to really appreciate the show..
People do need to appreciate the guys with a lot of money,,, and they have a LOT.. If it's not in your means don't bid, but don't begrudge the guys with lots of cashola

Last edited by Wes Hague; Wed Jan 14 2015 08:45 AM.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would love to go sometime... and I'm not sure what all the complaints and derogatory comments are for. I think there were several items that went for 'good value' prices.

i miss the days of Matthews auctions in Peotone on Thursday nights. Free beer and cheeseburger for anyone attending.... and it was just an all around good time, regardless what you were or weren't buying.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
Been there twice, awesome show and auction... people do need to be there once to really appreciate the show..
People do need to appreciate the guys with a lot of money,,, and they have a LOT.. If it's not in your means don't bid, but don't begrudge the guys with lots of cashola

Agree Wes, my third trip in 4 yrs and hope to make a lot more. The experience and atmosphere is beyond words. If you haven't been put it on your bucket list and get on out here. You won't be disappointed!

Steve
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm headed over tonight and then again for saturday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
People do need to appreciate the guys with a lot of money

...why - because they have a lot of money?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
actually yes and along with money comes a lot brains to make the money to buy foolishly, .. is that hard to understand ?

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...wow, Wes - that might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post on Oldgas - and that's saying something...

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
ya, didn't think you would understand,,, too busy sanding that pump I guess

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...this whole topic is about the wealthy spending exorbitant amounts of money on overpriced, inauthentic items...and your response is to say, because these people are rich, we need to appreciate them - and not ridicule their lack of discernment...they must be smart - they're rich, right?

...because, as Paris Hilton ultimately proves, you can only become wealthy through supreme intelligence and hard work smirk

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Obviously your list of friends don't include anyone with any amount of real wealth.. I totally respect and admire and envy all the friends that I know and have that are super successful and wealthy.. they are all very nice people who enjoy spending their wealth as they please without a lot of criticism from others. " end of my story"

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes , hopefully We can all someday be as successful as you. Maybe dreams can come true.

Last edited by 47reo-travis; Wed Jan 14 2015 11:07 AM.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
maybe some of you guys on here need to grow up ! I'm not the one that started this ***** contest

Last edited by Wes Hague; Wed Jan 14 2015 11:33 AM.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I for one think BJ put a lot of thought and effort into getting there auctions to where they are today. For what ever reasons, they can attract the big money year after year. And if they can capitalize on their bidders, good for them. As long as they run an honest auction, best wishes for their continued success. Just because their sales command top money is not a bad thing on their part. They know their bidders are willing to spend big money on things they want. Nothing wrong with that. R.B. buys stuff throughout the year for the sale. From what I have seen, he does not try to beat you down on price. If he likes it, he buys it and moves on. Good for him and BJ if they make big money on it. I for one would like to have the same set up! I do not see it jacking up the shows for the normal guys as far as prices go. How many people at the show this week will price their items the same as the realized BJ auction prices? If they do, they will take it all home again. Yes, some stuff will be in big collections and out of circulation for a while, but that happens with any collection.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

image.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is absolutely absurd to think that wealth is indicative of intelligence, or character. Or, that it holds the essence of human morality or a code of values. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent.

I'm a firm believer, he who earns it gets to choose how he spends it. Some people value their time more then their money. They simply don't have the luxury of investing all the time we invest in finding and seeking items and knowledge of the items we buy. I know that, I spend hours everyday seeking this stuff. In essence, to a degree most of us value our money more than our time. we have the luxury of time to educate and seek out other venues to make our purchases. Even the wealthy buyers set out with the same goal that we do and that is to buy, "the best product that your money can find".

I don't think it's a matter of money made by the intelligent at the expense of the fools. But rather, money made by the ambitious at the expense of the lazy.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Exactly Dave.. smile
Quote:
don't think it's a matter of money made by the intelligent at the expense of the fools. But rather, money made by the ambitious at the expense of the lazy.
I like that,,,, smile

Last edited by Wes Hague; Wed Jan 14 2015 12:04 PM.

Wes.......
C
C
Money is all relative. The BJ prices seem crazy to the folks here on OG. But then to much of the world the $500 you spend on an old sign seems crazy.

BJ is definitely an auction that should be on your bucket list. Its a total circus. You will see fat drunk rich guys in Hawaiian shirts with bored gorgeous girlfriends/escorts half their age on their arms getting into bidding wars over a 7 figure 1970 Hemi Cuda. Or farmers just as rich in bib overalls bidding on their favorite toys. You will see rock stars, professional athletes and celebrities. Last year my wife and I were getting something to eat at the food court near the back entrance. Then this guy & his woman walked by and I thought to myself they look really "unusual." Then it clicked in my head that it was Alice Cooper. And about 15 minutes later he was on stage introducing his Camaro on the auction block. A few years ago Muhammad Ali was there selling some of his cars. Later they drove him around outside on a cart to look at the cars. ( He can't walk due to Parkinson's). The cart was followed by a hoard of people. The cart came exactly in my direction and drove by me and I could of reached out and touched him!

Definitely plan a trip to BJ. You won't be disappointed!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm completely happy going to small local auctions.

Last edited by KZ1000; Wed Jan 14 2015 04:47 PM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Consiglia
Money is all relative. The BJ prices seem crazy to the folks here on OG. But then to much of the world the $500 you spend on an old sign seems crazy.

BJ is definitely an auction that should be on your bucket list. Its a total circus. You will see fat drunk rich guys in Hawaiian shirts with bored gorgeous girlfriends/escorts half their age on their arms getting into bidding wars over a 7 figure 1970 Hemi Cuda. Or farmers just as rich in bib overalls bidding on their favorite toys. You will see rock stars, professional athletes and celebrities. Last year my wife and I were getting something to eat at the food court near the back entrance. Then this guy & his woman walked by and I thought to myself they look really "unusual." Then it clicked in my head that it was Alice Cooper. And about 15 minutes later he was on stage introducing his Camaro on the auction block. A few years ago Muhammad Ali was there selling some of his cars. Later they drove him around outside on a cart to look at the cars. ( He can't walk due to Parkinson's). The cart was followed by a hoard of people. The cart came exactly in my direction and drove by me and I could of reached out and touched him!

...I'd rather save up for a trip to Iowa...

C
C
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

...I'd rather save up for a trip to Iowa...

I understand.......but you won't get the circus!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I'm completely happy going to small local auctions.

yep ya find some cool stuff their with the story too . Good point fella

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I understand.......but you won't get the circus! [/quote]

Ohh were seeing a circus right here......

Spend your money how ever you wish, who's business is it anyway?

Bob

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I think if people want to spend $3000 on a $300 globe then it is news I want to hear and appropriate content for a forum such as this. We're not raging on the buyers but I reserve the right to reflect my thoughts on the follies of the uninformed. No reason to mistake amusement for anger.

Cheers, Vern

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Several years ago I was a vendor at this auction. As such, I was required to be opened for business by 8 A.M. I would get to the venue around 7:30 to set up. As I walked through the display area one day, not many people were about that early. It afforded me the time to look around at the huge tent which housed the Ford/GM displays and led into the rest of the venue, also temporary tents. Then it struck me that with the black astro turf tacked to the asphalt parking lot underfoot, and the knock down displays all around, that this was a movie set. It was all smoke and mirrors, used for the allusion of the marketer. Since that day, my opinion of this production has changed. I realized that it became Disney Land for the wealthy. Now I do not take it seriously any longer. It is only real for the folks spending the cash. I hardly notice the prices. I have much better things to occupy my time. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Thu Jan 15 2015 04:09 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Vern!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
This is an excerp that Rory made on another thread. So very true..

Mr. Pratte built one of the finest collections of Cars, Airplanes and Automobilia the world has ever seen and is now moving on to other interests including builiding a private race track at the Dunes. He also wants to spend more time flying and seeing the world. Ron worked extremely hard in life for everything he has and is a very charitable and philanthropic person. A true role model for us all.

Regards,
Rory

Wes.......
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
So true, that man has givin away more money than most of us will ever make in our lifetimes

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Insanity at Barrett Jackson Auction......

because he sure owned some killer signs & cars!!!!

Ron Gordon
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And you can buy a pair of $8k cowboy boots. Rich or poor, some people are dumb with their money. There is a reason our country has a debt problem...

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's called capitalism.

I have no problem with people achieving prosperity in this great country, providing that they do so legally.

Those who constantly rip on pickers, reality show producers, and high end auctions should try socialism for awhile and get back to us.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: powerlube
And you can buy a pair of $8k cowboy boots. Rich or poor, some people are dumb with their money. There is a reason our country has a debt problem...

To some of these guys at BJ, $8K is pocket change. Now look at it another way - tell a starving kid in Ethiopia that you spent $1000 on an old sign. How would he react? You think he would say you are dumb with your money? Of course. It's all relative...

R
R
BJ is COOL and Ron has COOL stuff! Ron made his money working for it. I wonder why he is selling everything and sold his company to? His 1934 Ford would look good in my garage. HA!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Get your Romans out and cleaned up. Pratte's 490 sold for $40K

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Say what you want to but I'm on my way home from the BJ Auction right now and I had a ball. I had a great time and got to bid on the thing I went after. Didn't get it but ran the bid up past the reasonable cost to somebody. Rory's staff treated me great just as if I was one of the high rollers and they helped me set up a line of credit so I could get what I wanted. My personal feelings were that I didn't have to buy all of Pratt's collection, just one piece. I sat next to one of the phone bidders that spent over $200,000 for somebody. It was a ball. I would do it again if I had the chance. Anybody interested in this hobby or cars should do it once in their lifetime IMO. Mitch

C
C
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
It's called capitalism.

I have no problem with people achieving prosperity in this great country, providing that they do so legally.

Those who constantly rip on pickers, reality show producers, and high end auctions should try socialism for awhile and get back to us.

Some feel that Petroliana should be redistributed to the masses.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: 67Chev4X4
My personal feelings were that I didn't have to buy all of Pratt's collection, just one piece.

Sorry you didn't get it Mitch. I'm sure you made a good run at it. Another one will turn up someday!

Last edited by RARIN TO GO; Sat Jan 17 2015 05:01 AM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
a few years ago a wayne 515 sold for 40k.and another common wayne sold for 38k. It didn't effect prices at all. Enjoy the show, have fun with the results and circus. I hope to go just to watch someday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B-J=Nauseating

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I started going to B-J in the 70's to sell cars. Every year I built a car just to take there because there was nowhere else I could get the kind of money I made there. One time old Tom Barrett himself got up on the stage when the bidding slowed on my car and took the mike and said to the crowd "Look ladies and gentleman, you've paid for the pin stripping so far, NOW let's pay for the rest of the car!" And the bidding took off. Is it a circus? Maybe. But they give you something you can't find anywhere else- LOTS of deep pocket buyers. And without them- there is no show. I stopped going in the 90's cause I stopped building cars and haven't been back, but I watch it on TV. It's changed- the show is bigger, the cars are nicer, the women are prettier. Only one things the same-lots of deep pockets. And while we grumble about prices, because we are buyers- someday everyone of us will be a seller.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Tom R.
I started going to B-J in the 70's to sell cars. Every year I built a car just to take there because there was nowhere else I could get the kind of money I made there. One time old Tom Barrett himself got up on the stage when the bidding slowed on my car and took the mike and said to the crowd "Look ladies and gentleman, you've paid for the pin stripping so far, NOW let's pay for the rest of the car!" And the bidding took off. Is it a circus? Maybe. But they give you something you can't find anywhere else- LOTS of deep pocket buyers. And without them- there is no show. I stopped going in the 90's cause I stopped building cars and haven't been back, but I watch it on TV. It's changed- the show is bigger, the cars are nicer, the women are prettier. Only one things the same-lots of deep pockets. And while we grumble about prices, because we are buyers- someday everyone of us will be a seller.
I agree 100%. A place for everything and everyone in this world. As I said before, it is a Hoot to be a part of. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Agreed Tom,,,unless you've been there and done that you don't know what your talking about.. as in comparison if you watch the Daytona 500 on TV or go there and attend "Speed Week" in Daytona there is nothing like it..I've been to both a couple of times,, Best Ever shows.. The Na-Sayers need to think outside the box and see how the rest of the world lives.. smile Definitely worth the price of admission !

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sun Jan 18 2015 04:33 AM.

Wes.......
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I feel the say way about the prices paid on here in the for sale section. WAY OVER PAID!

So the value is in the buyers eyes. End of story.

Mike
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jrwienri

I saw it up close it looked very nice.

Last edited by luminor89; Sun Jan 18 2015 03:10 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's called capitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I used to vend collectibles at BJ as well, off and on for the last twenty years. I was there when the BJ show was much smaller and not many other gas pumps for sale. Its a good place to sell but its not easy money. Lots of competition last time I was there about six years ago, its my understanding there diminishing the vendors and pushing their own stuff more and more (as in BJ items) via the petroliana auction. That's where the crazy money is, I didnt see many crazy buyers in the vending spots, but there were a few.

I do have to say it was fun at times and exhausting having a vending spot there. Had a few drunk high roller buyers late at night, I remember this one guy coming back the next day saying, "oh thats what I bought last night."

My father auctioned a bunch of restored pumps at the nearby Russo and Steele auction about four years ago and it sucked - way low prices, absolutely not worth doing. Anyway, I didn't want everyone to think just hop over to Scottsdale and you'll make bank. I dont think BJ takes consignments for their auctions.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sun Jan 18 2015 06:28 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
C
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
It's called capitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Only joking and wasn't serious!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: luminor89
Originally Posted By: jrwienri

I saw it up close it looked very nice.

It was very nice but I was actually a little disappointed in it when I looked at it after all of the Hype on the collection quality. Not even close to being as nice as the 2 Miles Little has.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved