Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I have two cyinders, one is 13.5x22 with cracks in various areas and the other is 12.5x26 with a freeze crack half way around about one inch from the bottom. Has anyone ever taken them to glass shop to be cut down or have the cracks filled? If I cut the 26" down to 24 I could use it in my butler and get rid of the crack. Anyway not sure if this would work or would it make it worse? Anyone ever tried this? Thanks, Todd.

Coryell 70/Nebraska items wanted
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Todd - If u get an answer to this please let me know. I have a couple in the same condition.

Thanks, Ernie

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
On my recent pump restoration I had a cylinder cut down maybe 1/4 inch or so my guy took it to a shop just to flatten out the irregularities. Looks perfect with a thicker gasket on my restored pump...Scott B.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Scott - Where did u have it cut down? Thanks, Ernie

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
had two cut down. Took it to a local glass shop. Had to sign a waiver in case in shattered. Both came out without issues.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have had two tried at local glass company. Both of them shattered. Could go either way so, be prepared.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Have had many cut down here, but our guy has retired, New guy states he is better and can do it just fine, Have not tried him yet, but has to be at least two cylinders to do. $200.00 for the both.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have also had several done, my local shop uses a Makita glass saw, and they have never broke one, they charge me $100.00. Don't let anyone talk you into scoring and snapping like they do glass bottles, it has to be done with a glass saw.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Good to know guys,thanks for your insight. My local glass guys would not touch them. Also tried the windshield places to see about having chips and cracks filled. Their instrument only works on semi flat surfaces, cylinder was too curved.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've done a couple of cylinders that have had a freeze break all the way around them. Usually they are off by about 1/4". I've used a hand block sander and have been able to get them close enough to use on a pumps. Make sure you don't get them hot. That is what breaks them. Richard

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
My restorer just used a glass company that could cut glass. Scott B.

I had one done by the Co. Glass Blower. She looked at it thru a glass lens that would show if the cyl. had any stress in it. mine did not. then we cut it on a wet saw with no problems. So one might ask if they can view it for stress before they try to cut it. If i am not mistaken the glass can be relived of the stress by heating it. Hope this helps

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Best way is a shop with a water jet, but if there isn't one close, the shipping kills it!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
If ya have a 50 50 chance of it shatering. Why not try it your self using the trick seen on youtube where make glasses from bottles. Taking string soked in lighter fluid. Wrap where want the cut. Light the string. Let burn till go out then pore cold water on the string

1970 pro street cuda.
1970 cuda convertable
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Ok, I found a glass company to cut it and I will take it in next week. They are very confident about cutting it down so I will roll the dice and see what happens. Wish me luck! I will post the results when it is done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved