Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58983 Mon Jan 30 2006 09:46 AM
OP Offline
I am considering buying a 6' texaco sign that is in great condition but is faded. The black letters hav a smokey film over them. Does anyone know what the clear finish is on these porcelain signs and a way to clean up the lettering to remove the oxidation?
Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#58984 Mon Jan 30 2006 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There shouldn't be any clear finish over the porcelain from the factory.

I've heard that some of these had the black color as paint and the other colors porcelain. Are you sure the black is porcelain? Does it exhibit heavy shelving like the red and green?

If it is porcelain, you could probably try some rubbing compound. If it's paint, I'd try some cleaner wax like Nu-Finish in an inconspicuous test area.

Wes

#58985 Wed Feb 01 2006 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...STAY clear of Nu-Finish...I use good ol' green Turtle Wax liquid...

...I had a chipped-up Gulf No-Nox Ethyl 30" round that I used Nu-Finish on, over the rust and all...the Nu-Finish appeared to have 'sealed in' whatever moisture lurking down in the heavily-rusted areas - months later, areas that had been 'picked' and scoured prior to waxing, again shed 'scabs' of rust... sign had been entirely indoors during that time...

...might sound strange, but it's the only explanation I could surmise, and I've never had a problem with Turtle Wax liquid...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#58986 Wed Feb 01 2006 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting... I've never had that happen - use it on my car, as well as signs, and other things too. It has microabrasives in it, which is the reason I use it. I've never applied it over giant patches of rust or anything... I can't see where it would "seal in" rust any more than another wax, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Wes

#58987 Wed Feb 01 2006 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I know it sounds crazy, but I swear it happened! Really freaked me out at the time, too...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#58988 Thu Feb 02 2006 08:54 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gulfriend, you freak me out !!! What are you doin'??? Who's gonna win on Sunday? The Bus is takin' Seattle to SCHOOL!!!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved