Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gmstuff

Fantasy item's should make for some interesting outcomes. I've already spotted a few fakes and a lot of questionable.

Last edited by luminor89; Tue Dec 16 2014 08:36 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's very unfortunate. I guess the audience this auction appeals to doesn't mind purchasing falsely advertised pieces. Just my two cents.

Kevin

R
OP Offline
R
I appreciate the input on the Gulf sign. I'm actually flying down tomorrow to start crating the collection and will take a look at it.
Regards,
Rory

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: luminor89

Fantasy item's should make for some interesting outcomes. I've already spotted a few fakes and a lot of questionable.

Very interesting and disconcerting statement...you would hope and pray such a large and reputable entity such as this would thoroughly vet all items, guess not ?? how about some specifics/ examples instead of vague comments (so people don't get ripped off) ? Thanks

Last edited by 63shelby; Tue Dec 16 2014 10:51 PM.

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

Very interesting and disconcerting statement...you would hope and pray such a large and reputable entity such as this would thoroughly vet all items, guess not ?? how about some specifics/ examples instead of vague comments (so people don't get ripped off) ? Thanks

Why would someone give up their hard earned knowlege? It's not worth the debate. The people thinking of bidding on a particular items should have started their research by now. It's part of this hobby to do your homework we all know that. The Pratte collection has a lot of nice things up for sale, so not ALL is bad. There's a lot of alcohol flowing at BJ & mancave decorator types who don't care about authencity. I am not bashing this auction in any way shape or form. I wish them all the best of luck!! I cannot wait to attend this year!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

Rory did say he'd look into it. What auction company selling petroliana hasn't had a few repros slip through the cracks? The truth is the auction firms rely a lot on the sellers and buyers to vet the items. Sometimes they don't know whether an item is authentic until the auction preview. In those cases an announcement is usually made when the item reaches the auction block.
As for the vague descriptions.....Barrett Jackson is catering to their core market, vintage car buyers. I suspect those buyers aren't nearly as concerned about specifics in the item descriptions as petroliana collectors might be.
Also consider this is somewhat uncharted territory for Barrett Jackson. I don't think they've ever sold a collection of petroliana of this magnitude. I think the best approach at this time would be to contact Rory Brinkman with your concerns and give him a chance to remedy the situation. IMO It's a bit early to sound the alarm.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow outstanding collection!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not sounding the alarm, just stating the obvious...

There are hundreds of posts on Oldgas about reproduction items being sold as original, may of which are on eBay or in auctions. Its funny that as soon as an item is called out from a "reputable" auction company all the defenders come out? Alcohol and inexperienced collectors are no excuse for selling blatant reproductions and trying to pass them off as original.. my 2 cents, I'm done.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hate that repros are being sold as originals as much as anyone. My post about not sounding the alarm just yet was a reply to Pete's post. Rory had just posted he'd look into it. What I'm saying is give him the chance to fix it.
Contact the auction firm privately about any description or item you have concerns about so they can fix the descriptions. If they don't do anything about it it's game on as far as I'm concerned.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Does anyone know what it costs to bid live at this auction. Is there a cost saving bidding live versus online?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wish there was a way to bid online other than filling out paperwork worthy of a doctor's office visit. or am I overlooking another proxy that's available?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks like it costs $50 to register as an onsite bidder in addition to having to purchase a ticket to get into the auction.
The BP is 15% onsite and 17% absentee. Certainly not what we're accustomed to with petroliana auctions.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just got my bidder # for the automobile auction...if you're a registered bidder for that, the petro auction is included.

And in regard to vetting items...how in the heck can an auction company personally vouch for 1600 items...that's ridiculous.

If you're a buyer do your own research.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

If you're a buyer do your own research.

After all there's the constant banter to protect the uninformed on ebay but " CAVEAT EMPTOR " for everyone else.
There's no excuse for uninformed millionaires.

Last edited by JUNK KING; Thu Dec 18 2014 04:07 PM.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Don't throw me out here but I think it's ridiculous for most old gassers to think of bidding. All the times I've seen auctions like this with BJ. The prices will be crazy out there.

I did a quick look at the Texaco items and they look legit to me, I'll look again and at Havoline if there's any. We should each look at a group we are familiar with and write Cory if we see something with ?s.

Okay I went back and searched Texaco, Havoline, Indian Gas, Red Indian and Caltex. I'll ask you guys, The only thing (s) I found were Lots 8785 & 9493. Looks like they've taken 6 foot Logo signs and added neon to them and you end up loosing a side. Do you think this should be mentioned in the descriptions ? I do.

Last edited by blacktee; Thu Dec 18 2014 06:09 PM.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved