Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Everyone I Have seen made with a sign attached, has increased the value of the sign more than just the cost of the bracket. These brackets arn't just something that holds the sign on the wall. They are custom made pieces of art. Extremely high quality work . The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Just to be clear, here is the repro marking rule from the For Sale Guidelines:
"All reproduction and fantasy signs, globes, cans and bottles must be marked in a permanent manner for said items to be offered for sale on Oldgas.com."

So we don't require that new sign brackets or new gas pump parts be marked.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

So we don't require that new sign brackets or new gas pump parts be marked.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
But with all due respect Jim, and I hope you know that I love this site and this hobby, but my issue here transcends any rules that may exist on Oldgas.com

Look, I'm not here to argue about it. My intentions were only for that of the hobby. And I still stand by my original statement that they should be marked. What possible reason is there not to?? If you guys can't see that in 10, 20 or 30 years or more these are going to be being sold as ORIGINAL, then I can't help you. Do you honestly not see that?? And it's not about the money or any value it may add!! It's about the history!!

And for what it's worth for those who didn't actually read my entire original post, I said I would be proud to hang any sign of mine on one these brackets!! They are very nicely done. That was never the issue.

And one more thing and then I am done with this. And this is just were "I" stand on such a thing. ANY, bracket, curb sign stand, bla bla bla, that is recreated to mimic an original piece, should be marked!! Even a one off piece that you make in your garage! Put your name on it! Put the date on it!! It is not about us!! It's about the future and the history!! What if someone decided to start casting curb sign bases? Would you not think they should be marked??

One real quick thought relative to the repop pump parts. When you take a pump and stip it down to it's birthday suit, and give it a new SEMA quality paint job. Polish the brass and shine it all up. What difference does it make at that point if there is a repop window bezel or rubber door strip? It's not the same thing! Now the large pieces like I've seen cast that go on top of certain pumps and such, these piece should be marked. Are they, I imagine not.

Thanks for your time. Now go ahead and flame me if you want.

I'm movin' on!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not the hill i am going to die on!

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I personally think OLDGAS has left it's self wide open to criticism on this one. When you pick a select group of companies ( signs, globes, cans , bottles )that have to be clearly marked when there are so many other items being reproduced today , literally hundreds, it's not fair to them. I know a while back maybe 2 years ago or so I advertised a Red Indian door push for sale and said it was a reproduction piece ,although it was not marked, and it wasn't even a reproduction piece as they were never made originally, it was a fantasy piece. A member on here bought it knowingly that it was not an original item but just liked it. OLDGAS said I couldn't sell it on that particular thread. To me it didn't fall under the category of signs, globes, cans and bottles. So what I'm saying is when you start trying to determine what's allowed on here as a reproduced piece and what isn't it's going to be up for discussion.. or not...Just like this bracket,, signs not allowed but brackets are.. globe lense's are not but the metal bodies are. Air meters are a whole new subject, you can build the whole air meter out of reproduced pieces now.. none of that's stamped... gas pumps are the same.. I'm just saying ,this subject is likely the most discussed topic on here and the topic that has the most opinions because it's so unfair to some guys that reproduce stuff. Every time there is an item on OLDGAS that someone hasn't seen before the first thing they cry out is " MUST BE A FAKE " and there goes the arguments..

Wes.......
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
All this for a sign bracket? End this thread and leave the man alone.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
no body is picking on the man if you read this thread,, it's not about the sign bracket,if you don't like reading it , get lost

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Dec 06 2014 07:49 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will take the last one of these contraversial brackets and I do not even have one of these signs yet. John

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Bbburke
Everyone I Have seen made with a sign attached, has increased the value of the sign more than just the cost of the bracket. These brackets arn't just something that holds the sign on the wall. They are custom made pieces of art. Extremely high quality work . The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

The only marking he should put on them is his logo or signature. Not so we can know they arnt original. But so Owen gets the credit for something he designed and Hand crafted.

Kind of hard not to agree whith Bbburke..... Owen is a True Craftsman.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's amazing how passionate many of us are on our hobby. LOL

Owen you have talent and you did a nice job building something our hobby needs to hang a sign.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Agree...and Owen should stamp PASSIONATE on it too. laugh

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'll take an apology Wes

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
My apologies Terry , I shouldn't have been so harsh.. It really bothers me on OLDGAS when some people try telling others what they should and shouldn't do with their items on here..should they mark them or shouldn't they.
Ya there fakes, no there not.. many think they are experts on everything and I've always said on here, nobody knows everything or seen everything.. I think Owen has done a great service to the hobby by making such needed items.. only to have them judged by someone who thinks they should be marked for his convenience... JMO...

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This thread is proof that any publicity is good publicity. If you go back and read the past comments you will notice something. During the course of the arguments between different people. Owen sold all the brackets he originally had, made more, and sold those as well. Nothing like a little controversy to get people paying attention to your thread

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I was thinking the same thing,, grin he does GREAT work.. nothing wrong with productive arguments/discussions.. because we are all passionate about the hobby or we wouldn't be on OLDGAS...

Wes.......
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved