Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
My bad for being too definitive, I've had luck changing lids but I shouldn't say the all are interchangeable.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Dave,
If this is for out doors what your doing is Ok.
If you put it in doors, tank dip every part and tear the pump down entirely.
The main reason to tank dip is to rid the lubester of any odor, and bleed out at seams when painting.
Around here they only charge $40 for a complete dip.
You will need to cut about a 1.5" hole in the bottom for drainage when it is dipped.
That's what they ask for here.
If I put them in the house, I cut an access panel from the bottom so I can seal the inside metal as well.
I like doing lubesters here one I did not to long ago.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=85194&Number=519238#Post519238
Good luck and post pix we all like to see them.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks all for the information so far. Tomorrow I am anticipating getting all the parts to the stripper, so things will start to move forward a bit.

LC, that was a heck of a paint job on the lubester you posted a link to...I had seen that when I was lurking and researching. I can pretty much assure you that mine won't be that unique.

I'll be sure to talk to the stripper about the drain hole, though they'd probably point it out if they usually want that. Not anticipating needing a hole, however, I don't have anything here at the house to do that type of cutting - so hopefully they can help with that if need be.

Edit: Will a bimetal hole saw work on the tank steel? I just remembered I have some.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dave

Last edited by A Dave; Sun Oct 19 2014 06:52 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes that will work fine.
They just want a opening at opposite ends for drainage.

A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
While prepping all of the pump parts to go to the stripper, I found that the retaining spring that holds the leather seal against the pump cylinder is broken. Does anyone know a good source for springs?

Unfortunately, I still don't know the brand of the pump, but there are the characters 69H or H69(not sure which way is right side up) on the top piece of the pump that houses the handle and gears. If it makes any difference, the inside diameter of the pump cylinder is about 3 5/8".

Of course, it's not absolute that I get a spring, as the lubester will be for display only. But, if possible, I'd like to put as much of the lubester together as I can. Why?...I don't know...especially because I know there are folks that redo their lubesters without installing pump internals.

Thanks again.

Dave

A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well, just a brief update...

I picked up the parts from the stripper today, and I dropped them off at the painter. Unfortunately for me, I don't have any paint background at all, so I have to spend some money. The nice thing is the painter has done lubesters and gas pumps before, so they are not totally foreign to him.

While the tank was being dipped, the locking post for the the lid fell off, so my brother-in-law is going to be fabricating a new one for me. I was able to repair the broken wood knob (about 4 pieces), and it has been "filled," so to speak, to take paint better.

After much mental back and forth, I'll probably go with not using the pump internals. Thanks for the advice thus far. Here's a few pics as to how the parts looked after stripping.

Dave

20141027_110042 reduced.jpg 20141027_110012 reduced.jpg 20141027_114055 reduced.jpg
Last edited by A Dave; Mon Oct 27 2014 06:51 PM.
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well, thought I would provide an update to conclude the project...yep, conclude. I picked up the painted parts the other day and finished with decal application and simply putting it all back together.

I know it's just a lubester, but I'm pretty happy with the way that it turned out. Thanks to those who offered advice and info. Here's a pic of completed work. Best regards.

Dave

IMG_9120 reduced.jpg
Last edited by A Dave; Sat Nov 22 2014 04:41 PM.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Looks great !!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
awesome..

the green & yellow look good together- good choice... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You did a great job Dave!!!!
Watch out they seem to multiply.LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Turned out great!!!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
A
A Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks guys. Funny thing is...this was originally going to go into the garage near my "workspace" where I have other decorations. But, after my wife saw it, she wanted it in the house. Go figure. Regards.

Dave

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it looks great!

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved