Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#580508 Sun Nov 16 2014 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I picked up this sign this weekend but I cannot find any history behind it, I am led to believe it predates quaker state am I wrong? How old is it?

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sign dates to the 20s. Sterling was an old tyme Pennsylvania company, bought by Quaker State in the late 20s/30s and became the name for their gas/cheaper oils.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Luke for the info so I was kind of on the right track then.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The "Quaker State Oil Refining Company" was started in the 1913...

It's "Parent Company" (which I don't seem listed in the Quaker State "History") was started in 1859...

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/history

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
Sign dates to the 20s. Sterling was an old tyme Pennsylvania company, bought by Quaker State in the late 20s/30s and became the name for their gas/cheaper oils.

. The Quaker State Corporation was formed seven years later on July 1, 1931, when Chicago stockbroker Charles Pape brought together 19 regional oil drillers, offering each company 55,000 shares in the new corporation they could form by merging their refining or marketing facilities to create a well-balanced company. The firms participating in the founding of Quaker State Corporation included the Eastern Refining Company, Sterling Oil Company of West Virginia, Ohio Valley Refining Company, Enterprise Oil Company Inc., Independent Refining Company, Lake Erie Lubricants Inc., Iron City Oil Company, Gallagher Bros. Inc., and Appaline Oil Company... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great info guys, so this was more than likely from the 1920`s then,thanks a bunch!

Last edited by texacokie; Sun Nov 16 2014 09:15 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved