Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ohio Oil #579659 Tue Nov 11 2014 12:30 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think the dislike with the pickers is because the way many of them conduct themselves. There are professional pickers and then the people who think they are professional pickers. Look at the petro facebook groups...perfect example of how some of these people conduct business...is this for sale? is that for sale? how much is it ? All from Pickers when the item says NOT FOR SALE. Some of the pickers have manipulated market prices by putting stupid numbers on garbage....this makes a person think their $150 sign is worth $2000 because they saw it listed on ebay for a crazy price. It has become much more expensive for a serious collector to buy things. Not because the items are worth these insane asking prices, its because the market "thinks" that gas and oil stuff is GOLD! The market will fall and fall hard on the off condition stuff, because when the next craze comes along only the serious collectors will be left and they demand high quality items.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Nov 11 2014 12:35 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
57tbirdkid #579793 Wed Nov 12 2014 07:52 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Many good comments here. I have watched this hobby for 40 years now. This topic comes up all the time. In a nutshell, prices adjust up and down but the only major adjustment I had ever seen in this hobby was around 2007-2008 when prices on certain items got way too high, the economy took a dump and gas and oil followed in some areas. Prices have since mostly rebounded, some now beyond that. I sell many gas globes in the $250-$1000, which are staples items for me. Rare and expensive ones have a limited market but when you can find them they sell. American Pickers have brought awareness to what we all have been doing for years but in my opinion have down more harm than good to our hobby. As I've stated for decades, that fact that gas and oil is so closely tied to the automotive markets I feel it will always remain strong. Scott B.

scottpcm #579860 Wed Nov 12 2014 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree Scott and guys like you and Jack Sim make this hobby better by your education of us all . But it is a hobby and when guys try to make a living off it , the dynamics change .

I read something along the lines of , a rich stock market investor is getting his shoes shined in early 1929 . His shoe shine boy tells him how he has bought some stock . This fellow then sold all his stock based on the fact that people with very little knowledge were buying stocks . we all know how the next 10 years of the stock market went .

My point is , we seem to have a fair number of speculators involved right now , mixed with passionate collectors . $8000.00 repro pumps ?? Really ?

The old guys always told me , buy the best and most original you can find . You"ll always be happy with it .

Just my confusing 2 cents

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved