Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#578623 Wed Nov 05 2014 02:49 PM
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
100% identical replica of 1935 Wayne 50 showcase. Powder coated to any color scheme you choose. $8500.00

Please visit our website at www.pilotdisplays.com

We produce reproduction Wayne 50s and parts to restore any original Wayne 50 you may have.

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Are the castings aluminum or steel?

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Our pumps are fabricated using mostly steel with aluminum castings for the sides of the head unit with the curved drop downs characteristic of the art deco style. It weighs right at 300 pounds and shipping weight is around 350.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Looks like a good product and knowing you offer Wayne 50 parts is helpful.

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes sir. Any condition wayne 50 can be resurrected.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Parts are just fine, now another pump to be wary of. Paint it up, sell it, the next guy sells it, and now if no one is aware it becomes a Regular Wayne 50. Nothing like running down the value of a original. Reproduction Markings ??
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but happened out here with Three other high dollar pumps.

Craig
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes reproduction markings in 2 spots and a badge on the outside stating it's a reproduction.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is great that you have marked this, at least you are trying to offer a product and are being conscience of the problem we all face now.
Just look at all the reproduction 12" porcelain signs now on ebay that have been hammered, rusted, and what ever else to deceive a new buyer or an undereducated one.
Bottom line is Knowledge I guess.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You kill me!!

You come here riding on your high horse, like you're some sort of higher power....Then you try and sell reproduction pumps.

Your manufacturing skills may be sharp, but your marketing skills need a complete restoration.!

Last edited by TJammer; Wed Nov 05 2014 07:09 PM.

Imperial Oil collector..
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Nice work, I'm sure it wasn't easy or cheap pulling off this project. Whenever I come through Pilot Mountain hauling pumps I'll swing by some day.

Goober

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok sounds good. thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most know my opinion on repop stuff.
I understand the need for marked reproduction parts... Signs globes or what ever. When guys are buying 24" signs and reproduction pumps you are decorating! Reproduction needs to be marked period other wise guys are working at trying to ruin our hobby.

Thanks for marking your pumps! Please let us know how you are marking them so Jim can add it to our repop section for future reference.
Example... Texaco are marked at bottom reproduction and guys tried to wash the bottom to make them look like wear so they could sell them as originals. Sinclair pump signs are not marked other than an ink stamp on the back which people remove.
Is your pump marked where it can be removed?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
They're marked in the base and in the head unit. They also will have a "pilot displays' badge on the side in the same location an original wayne badge would be.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They look great. Hope they do not cause the value of an original to go down. I have an original and would buy one of yours as well if I could afford it. I would like to have a Shell display pump to go with my Firestone one. Do you offer them in raw metal unassembled for a lesser price? Here is mine.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great looking pumps, you done a nice job on them.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Where the hell is DB when we need him?

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Other than Craig and Jarvis, the others are newbies and think you are doing a great service....Go Away

Larry

Last edited by st.rod; Wed Nov 05 2014 10:33 PM.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
I'm new and think repops suck! Will people actually pay $8500 for a knock off?

Chasing anything old......but women
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
yes we do. we've been getting a lot of requests for this. send me a pm

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Wow, great job on the reproduction! Looks great. Lot of difficult parts there to reproduce. If you don't mind me making a suggestion, I'd paint one Polly Gas green and black and fill it with cans. That polly green is really marketable. Good luck!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The reason there's a market for this stuff is the instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent these days. Gone are the days when you have to work at building a collection by buying, selling, and trading to improve your position. That's too much work and takes too long. Now any decorator with a credit card can pass off repro pumps, globes and signs as rare and desirable collectibles.
As a public service to the hobby I'll permanently mark any repro sign in a conspicuous manner with an angle grinder, any repro globe with letter stamps and a ball-pein hammer, and any repro pump with the loader on my backhoe.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've given some serious thought of this whole situation as this is a pump that has eluded my collection. To me there is a place for the reproduction pump to a guy as stated that only wants to decorate but I feel for the guys that currently have a 50 showcase that are likely a wee bit nervous at this point about their investment. As long as the fraudsters don't play in this game, which is highly unlikely, I'm hoping there are other collectors like myself that will wait it out in hopes of the real deal and actually owning a piece of great history to appreciate and keep the original pump market strong.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How about some pictures of how the pumps are marked as repops?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
How about some pictures of how the pumps are marked as repops?
Ditto

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
There would be a great market for parts and all have brought up good points. Again the angle I am coming from is the one where this high end type of items not today or on Thursday would show up as a restored pump at BJ, Mecum, or other high end auction houses and there bidders would just not know. These would be passed on to the next person as probably an original. Check the 12 " porcelain signs on ebay now and yes it is a totally different market.
Look back at the 90's era when there were many complete less barrel Roman columns coming out of Ok, twin Bowsers coming out of Canada, Twin Bennett 450s. I have been at the receiving end of these and know the next owner may not know of these reproductions.
Yes a trained eye, but as mentioned above many people want decorator items and when they are through guess what.
There is no way to stop this, just makes our investment and time spent finding real ones seem a step down now. Some of the repo pumps put out are just enough to show the difference, but this even though a great job for sure will be too difficult to tell for sure.

Got up this morning and thought wonder what DB would have thought. Would have been a chuckle.
Sorry

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Thu Nov 06 2014 07:11 AM.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Would be easy to tell this one just by sticking a magnet on the pieces that are aluminum in the reproduction?

Ray

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If the castings were all aluminum. If castings were aluminum that would be helpful you are right in that determination.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: junior25
I've given some serious thought of this whole situation as this is a pump that has eluded my collection. To me there is a place for the reproduction pump to a guy as stated that only wants to decorate but I feel for the guys that currently have a 50 showcase that are likely a wee bit nervous at this point about their investment. As long as the fraudsters don't play in this game, which is highly unlikely, I'm hoping there are other collectors like myself that will wait it out in hopes of the real deal and actually owning a piece of great history to appreciate and keep the original pump market strong.
. I agree. I can only image how a collector of a original one feels about this , especially if they paid big $ and searched the world over. But your never going to duplicate the real deal . A original will always hold its own IMO. I do like the showcase displays , but will just build myself one someday as I will most likely never find or could afford the real thing.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the link to our website showing where the markings will be. It also shows the differences on the interior between ours and an original.

http://www.pilotdisplays.com/pilot-displays-reproduction-markings-locations

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm new in this hobby but not new to collecting, nor am I new to this life. I can appreciate both sides of the fence and get that those with originals have a staked value upon them, but there is also a good market for high quality reproductions.

Unlike some here, I wouldn't be too quick to label a buyer of one of these pumps as a "decorator", as I know some of the biggest collectors in the country and many of them have reproductions of hard to find items in their collections. Maybe I'm more open minded than a true "purist" but there is a spot for this.

As for the other side where an uneducated buyer makes a large purchase from an unscrupulous seller should that come to happen, then understand that the onis should always be with the purchaser to learn what they are shelling out their hard earned cash for. In saying that I mean that anyone with the means to shell out 8 or 10 grand on a pump or a sign, had better be smart enough to have studied what they're going after before they lay out the cash in the first place. If not, then the adage of "A Fool and His Money" should apply.

I like the pump, would consider buying one and don't like seeing the comments from an old boys club where everyone else is coined as a newbie (if you only knew instead of assumed, you'd likely recant that comment). Like seriously, please loose the holier than now attitude. Nobody is better than the other yet some here cannot wait to jump on someone they think they are higher up on. It shows no class at all and does nobody any good to call down everyone else on a post other than your one or two friends here.

There is a place for this kind of stuff and I am sure this person will sell plenty of them. There's also an old saying that fits well here. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Earl

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: youngbuck
Here is the link to our website showing where the markings will be. It also shows the differences on the interior between ours and an original.

http://www.pilotdisplays.com/pilot-displays-reproduction-markings-locations

After looking at the differences, I'm confident that nobody who looks even a little closely is going to mistake these reproductions for my real ones.

Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your not the first one to build a rare high dollar reproduction pump. Billy has built a few of these!

Click here

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looked at the insides and although it would never fool most there's always the ***** with more money than sense and of course it's possible. I'm sure the jerk from Texas is already planning on how he could pass one off. They look nice to me and if I had an original I wouldn't be concerned at all. Value is still there for an original pump, might be less buyers since they may opt for one of these but let's face it, there's not a lot of Wayne 50's being discovered every year.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
What Neil said. They've been repopping Wayne 800s for years and hasn't done a thing to affect the real deal's value. And let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of people who are sick enough to pay the prices these rare pumps are commanding (I include myself in this group) will easily tell whether or not its a repop.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Original 427 Shelby Cobra $1,000,000 / 427 Shelby Cobra repop $40,000 that about sums up the impact of repops..... Originals will always hold there value and repops won't. DB even had fantasy pieces. Triple 36B display ... a double 34 display he had made up. Saw a great bumper sticker that sums this up. "Don't like guns don't buy one... Now wasn't that easy"

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
The reason there's a market for this stuff is the instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent these days. Gone are the days when you have to work at building a collection by buying, selling, and trading to improve your position. That's too much work and takes too long. Now any decorator with a credit card can pass off repro pumps, globes and signs as rare and desirable collectibles.
As a public service to the hobby I'll permanently mark any repro sign in a conspicuous manner with an angle grinder, any repro globe with letter stamps and a ball-pein hammer, and any repro pump with the loader on my backhoe.

This is not new. Look at all the clone muscle cars. There is a buyer for both original and clone.
One can purchase original Beatles records and another can purchase a new record pressing because they want to enjoy the music.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Your not the first one to build a rare high dollar reproduction pump. Billy has built a few of these!

Click here

Looks to me like the replies were very positive to his posting. The only beef was if the parts were dated/marked.
Why the beef with this new posting?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I do know that if I ever buy a Wayne 50 in the rough, I'll probably leave it that way now. As mentioned above, there have been numerous rare pumps re-popped including some that are WAY harder to distinguish than this one, like a Duplex. Know what you're looking at, have a friend tip the pump back so you can look up inside of it. If you're lucky enough to find an original Wayne 50 nowadays for under $10,000, good for you. If you don't want to wait until you're on a walker to find one, buy one of these. Some people will complain about the sun coming up every day if they thought there was a problem with it? If you did find an original Wayne 50 and one of the ears was missing off the head, you'd be real friendly with this cat then wouldn't you?

Goober

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Were are not talking about parts here Goober, whole pumps. I see both sides and yes most educated collectors might look now that they know there are repros of these. Yes by looking inside you can instantly tell, but try doing that at an auction. The value will be there still for originals no doubt, but this will as seen on here as an example many that will buy the product. Not a problem as long as the next buyer will know it.
Also tell that to the thread or post on here that suggest people not post an extremely rare sign as it will be made and passed off. Two different things, but like I said it is going to happen. At least this person is willing to mark, tell others on here and try to do this in a professional manner.
Nothing worse then finding out later after you have traveled a day to see the item and it is not what is represented.

Craig
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree and see your point Craig. I'm sure in the near future, some unsuspecting buyer is gonna take a bullet to the wallet. Most likely at an auction where they are a phone bidder or something like that kind of scenario. Like anything in this hobby, you can never be too cautious.

Goob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is why my collection of pumps are left in the original finish. Nobody will wonder when they visit me if my pumps are original or not.

For what it is worth they did a nice job of recreating a cool pump. They will sell regardless of what we think.

Rob

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Correct Rob

Craig
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
More pictures of our reproduction wayne 50 showcase
http://www.pilotdisplays.com/photo-gallery/

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
DB even had fantasy pieces. Triple 36B display ... a double 34 display he had made up. Saw a great bumper sticker that sums this up. "Don't like guns don't buy one... Now wasn't that easy"

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tarheel
How many Wayne 50's will you be needing buddy? I bet I can fix you up nicely with a beautiful pump, far nicer than ANY PUMP in your "collection"

No offense meant..but honestly, you're not selling pumps. You're selling recreations that have never pumped a gallon of gasoline.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jrwienri
Original 427 Shelby Cobra $1,000,000 / 427 Shelby Cobra repop $40,000 that about sums up the impact of repops..... Originals will always hold there value and repops won't. DB even had fantasy pieces. Triple 36B display ... a double 34 display he had made up. Saw a great bumper sticker that sums this up. "Don't like guns don't buy one... Now wasn't that easy"

What's a Shelby Cobra ?? smile

Pete
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Go to Barrett Jackson or look at the past auctions, See how smart all those collectors are at buying stuff.

You are right about DB, but his at least were not authentic in every detail.

This is like beating a dead horse, no problem people until someone gets stung and then cries about it.

No problem with the way this is done, just the fact about the people like in Which ever country reproduces signs.

Craig
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Go to Barrett Jackson or look at the past auctions, See how smart all those collectors are at buying stuff.

You are right about DB, but his at least were not authentic in every detail.

This is like beating a dead horse, no problem people until someone gets stung and then cries about it.

No problem with the way this is done, just the fact about the people like in Which ever country reproduces signs.

I knew 'ol DB still had me beat LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what, it's okay for him to make repops, fantasy pieces because he was GOD almighty now wasn't he??? Now when I do it, it's a sin.

I dare any of you to even attempt to build a wayne 50. NOBODY ON THIS SITE CAN BUILD ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT I HAVE DONE. What I have done is absolutely bad to the bone and if you don't like it, move on. I'm sick to death of people making comments in the for sale section which is against forum rules unless your membership number is low enough or if your birthday falls around WWII.

I'll be looking for all you who crapped all over my ad to sell stuff and when you do, I'll comment about who awful and high priced it is. See how you like it when it happens to you.

I dare any of you to even attempt to build a wayne 50. NOBODY ON THIS SITE CAN BUILD ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT I HAVE DONE.

This is a pretty bold statement...

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Mon Nov 17 2014 07:36 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun

I dare any of you to even attempt to build a wayne 50. NOBODY ON THIS SITE CAN BUILD ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT I HAVE DONE.

YOU can't build a wayne 50 from scratch. Fixing old pumps with bondo and paint isn't the same. NOT EVEN CLOSE. But I appreciate you putting your link to your site in my ad. Thanks PAL!

www.pilotdisplays.com

YOU can't build a wayne 50 from scratch. Fixing old pumps with bondo and paint isn't the same. NOT EVEN CLOSE. But I appreciate you putting your link to your site in my ad. Thanks PAL!

www.pilotdisplays.com

Wanna bet? And FWIW, im not your pal.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline

www.pilotdisplays.com

Wanna bet? And FWIW, im not your pal.

Yeah i bet you can't, because if you could, you would have already done it. By the way, you'll need more equipment and supplies than a cutting torch, pipe bender, bondo, and paint to get the job done. Go for it. I'll give a week to do it. That's how long it takes me to build a wayne 50 these days. I've been doing my homework and actually working on several lol, not just hiding behind my big 'ol keyboard and TALKING ABOUT IT.

YOU HAVE A WEEK. MAKE IT HAPPEN BUDDY. I'M SURE IT'LL BE JUST LIKE MINE. DON'T FORGET YOUR BONDO.

Apparently 4 warnings about bumping your For Sale topics before the 72 hour rule is not enough. A bunch of tarheel's bump posts have been removed and this topic is locked.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved