Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: youngbuck
Here is the link to our website showing where the markings will be. It also shows the differences on the interior between ours and an original.

http://www.pilotdisplays.com/pilot-displays-reproduction-markings-locations

After looking at the differences, I'm confident that nobody who looks even a little closely is going to mistake these reproductions for my real ones.

Ray

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your not the first one to build a rare high dollar reproduction pump. Billy has built a few of these!

Click here

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looked at the insides and although it would never fool most there's always the ***** with more money than sense and of course it's possible. I'm sure the jerk from Texas is already planning on how he could pass one off. They look nice to me and if I had an original I wouldn't be concerned at all. Value is still there for an original pump, might be less buyers since they may opt for one of these but let's face it, there's not a lot of Wayne 50's being discovered every year.

P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
What Neil said. They've been repopping Wayne 800s for years and hasn't done a thing to affect the real deal's value. And let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of people who are sick enough to pay the prices these rare pumps are commanding (I include myself in this group) will easily tell whether or not its a repop.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Original 427 Shelby Cobra $1,000,000 / 427 Shelby Cobra repop $40,000 that about sums up the impact of repops..... Originals will always hold there value and repops won't. DB even had fantasy pieces. Triple 36B display ... a double 34 display he had made up. Saw a great bumper sticker that sums this up. "Don't like guns don't buy one... Now wasn't that easy"

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
The reason there's a market for this stuff is the instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent these days. Gone are the days when you have to work at building a collection by buying, selling, and trading to improve your position. That's too much work and takes too long. Now any decorator with a credit card can pass off repro pumps, globes and signs as rare and desirable collectibles.
As a public service to the hobby I'll permanently mark any repro sign in a conspicuous manner with an angle grinder, any repro globe with letter stamps and a ball-pein hammer, and any repro pump with the loader on my backhoe.

This is not new. Look at all the clone muscle cars. There is a buyer for both original and clone.
One can purchase original Beatles records and another can purchase a new record pressing because they want to enjoy the music.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Your not the first one to build a rare high dollar reproduction pump. Billy has built a few of these!

Click here

Looks to me like the replies were very positive to his posting. The only beef was if the parts were dated/marked.
Why the beef with this new posting?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I do know that if I ever buy a Wayne 50 in the rough, I'll probably leave it that way now. As mentioned above, there have been numerous rare pumps re-popped including some that are WAY harder to distinguish than this one, like a Duplex. Know what you're looking at, have a friend tip the pump back so you can look up inside of it. If you're lucky enough to find an original Wayne 50 nowadays for under $10,000, good for you. If you don't want to wait until you're on a walker to find one, buy one of these. Some people will complain about the sun coming up every day if they thought there was a problem with it? If you did find an original Wayne 50 and one of the ears was missing off the head, you'd be real friendly with this cat then wouldn't you?

Goober

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Were are not talking about parts here Goober, whole pumps. I see both sides and yes most educated collectors might look now that they know there are repros of these. Yes by looking inside you can instantly tell, but try doing that at an auction. The value will be there still for originals no doubt, but this will as seen on here as an example many that will buy the product. Not a problem as long as the next buyer will know it.
Also tell that to the thread or post on here that suggest people not post an extremely rare sign as it will be made and passed off. Two different things, but like I said it is going to happen. At least this person is willing to mark, tell others on here and try to do this in a professional manner.
Nothing worse then finding out later after you have traveled a day to see the item and it is not what is represented.

Craig
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree and see your point Craig. I'm sure in the near future, some unsuspecting buyer is gonna take a bullet to the wallet. Most likely at an auction where they are a phone bidder or something like that kind of scenario. Like anything in this hobby, you can never be too cautious.

Goob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is why my collection of pumps are left in the original finish. Nobody will wonder when they visit me if my pumps are original or not.

For what it is worth they did a nice job of recreating a cool pump. They will sell regardless of what we think.

Rob

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Correct Rob

Craig
tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
More pictures of our reproduction wayne 50 showcase
http://www.pilotdisplays.com/photo-gallery/

tarheel Offline OP
OP Offline
DB even had fantasy pieces. Triple 36B display ... a double 34 display he had made up. Saw a great bumper sticker that sums this up. "Don't like guns don't buy one... Now wasn't that easy"

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tarheel
How many Wayne 50's will you be needing buddy? I bet I can fix you up nicely with a beautiful pump, far nicer than ANY PUMP in your "collection"

No offense meant..but honestly, you're not selling pumps. You're selling recreations that have never pumped a gallon of gasoline.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved