Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57847 Wed Jun 27 2001 07:03 PM
J
john Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK this is the question.. generally is it ok to touch up a porcelain sign?
Specifically I just purchased a Shell credit card porcelain sign. It has some chips around the hanging holes and around the outside edge. There is one major chip on the inside field. What do other collectors do... touch up their signs or leave them as found? I know it is a matter of personal preference .. but I just wondered what most collectors do. Do other collectors perceive this as being deceptive if the sign is touched up for display purposes? Touching up the sign is reversable since paint remover will remove the enamel paint. Thanks for your advice.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#57848 Thu Jun 28 2001 07:23 AM
S
S
John,

To me, this is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer signs with untouched original finishes. Most touch up jobs that I have seen take away from the value of the sign. Sometimes, folks tend to forget the the fact that what we are collecting is at least 60 years old and has been outside since day one. Time and the elements take their toll and give signs a sense of caracter. I am sure that others have different opinions and that is cool too.

#57849 Fri Jun 29 2001 08:24 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I agree--touch-ups, even when done professionally, still take away from the character of the sign. They also lower the value--people are very reluctant to purchase a poorly touched-up sign. I've had several signs I've been tempted to touch up. I just can't bring myself to do it though (the same goes for clear coating a sign).

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved