Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
rbonitz #574399 Tue Oct 14 2014 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray, Just a thought but Morphy has 4-5 platforms of bidding beside proxibid. It is possible that they are correcting from other platforms?
I am not saying they are not shilling... they could be or grabbing a bid when they don't have one? Lots of stuff going when you have many phone bidders and multiple platforms of biding going on at same time!

Morphy is a very large and reputable auction company... i wouldn't put it past them to come after someone trying to ruin there reputation... could be wrong but take the information and use it for your own judgement and do whats best for you/us.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #574401 Tue Oct 14 2014 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray... sorry i wasn't pointing all that out to just you. LOL It sounded like it after i re-read it but meant just the first section.

Wes Hague #574403 Tue Oct 14 2014 06:49 AM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My posts were not referring to Dan in my posts... I have always respected Dan & I think he is an asset to the hobby - he has helped me out several times... and I will talk to Dan in person in Peotone. I was a bidder/buyer in that auction on multiple items. I never saw activity like this with Matthews Auctions, so I assumed the activity was outside of Dan's scope of responsibility with the auction. If I thought Dan could answer my questions, I would have simply asked him when I spoke with him yesterday.

It's worth noting - I have not seen this activity with previous Morphy auctions. But it doesn't change the fact that as a customer I'd like to know what happened here so that I can be comfortable leaving bids in the future... but I will ask Dan in person. The mods are more than welcome to remove any posts they feel are inappropriate or unwarranted.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Jarvis #574404 Tue Oct 14 2014 06:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Ray... sorry i wasn't pointing all that out to just you. LOL It sounded like it after i re-read it but meant just the first section.

Thanks... That did sound like a bit ominous.

I do wish I had gone to the auction on Saturday - there were some great buys and I don't live far away - my loss. But I am also glad that I didn't put in any high absentee bids.

rbonitz #574415 Tue Oct 14 2014 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you to gang up on Dan Sat for a question and answers session? LOL
I talked to him early this morning about bringing my globe to Peotone and he answered a few of my questions also regarding biding.

Jarvis #574547 Tue Oct 14 2014 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have any answers about the concerns that were brought up in this topic, but I can say Dan is a stand up guy. Many years ago when he was with another auction firm I had concerns about the way some bids were handled. I asked Dan face to face. He explained to my satisfaction how and why they did things.
Dan has been a big supporter of this site. Let's not drive him off.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #574551 Tue Oct 14 2014 05:34 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Well said Bob, Dan always went out of the way to help me with anything. He always returns calls, emails and will talk about any topic of discussion with you in person. A true asset to the hobby.

Thanks, Phil
philmccauley #574763 Wed Oct 15 2014 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's sad that Dan had to jump in here as Phil says "he will always take a call, listen to your side and do what he can to fix the problem."

IMO if you want something real bad and can't be there, do a phone bid. I had problems last spring during the auction trying to bid online and Dan Morphy e-mailed me back and came to the conclusion that the computer bid didn't take because someone else bid at the same time I did from a different site. They showed me the computer bids where it never took my bid. It probably was caused by bid's coming from multiple websites.

I have been going to auctions all my life and do I wonder if someone is running up my bids?? Maybe but as John said, Set your price and move on. If your a collector it shouldn't bother you if you set your price.

But on the other hand if your trying to turn around and sell it for big $$$$, it just might but remember most the other guys watching know just as much as you.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
BryceG #574765 Wed Oct 15 2014 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
would love to hear from someone that was there... to find out if there was a reason for the low price?

BryceG,
Did you already receive your items from the sale 4 days ago? Only asking because I saw a Pacer 400 with Ethyl Logo and Moore's Supreme with Ethyl Logo signs on your web site www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com for sale that look identical to the ones that sold in the auction.

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Wed Oct 15 2014 05:45 PM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Chevrolet SS #574774 Wed Oct 15 2014 05:38 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
This auction was the first time I made an online purchase from Morphy Auctions. It was just a single item, but I will say I am very pleased with the description and service.

The item was received early this afternoon, just a few days after the sale (and a holiday on Monday). In addition the packaging was top notch.

Always looking for:
Early Oil and Auto Cans, Kenyon Tire Signs or Displays, Stutz Motor Car Company Items.

Andy #574776 Wed Oct 15 2014 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now that's quick service!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Chevrolet SS #574805 Wed Oct 15 2014 09:19 PM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have had many good experiences with Morphy's, and will have many more I'm sure.

I dont think anyone was questioning Dan... we all know he goes out of his way to help & assist others.

Ron, those are 2 items I purchased - they look identical because they are smile

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #574871 Thu Oct 16 2014 12:40 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Sometimes a sounding board like this seems like a way for someone to bit#h and then being able to run away from their comments...especially when everyone knows dan and his team are strong members on here. At any rate...my thoughts on auctions are similar to buying a new car...I can never figure out what the hell is going on with numbers but if I walk out with what I want for what I wanted to pay...then what do I care. As for the example shown...I often attend auctions with my brother and we have accidentally bid against each other from opposite sides of the room. Obviously a decent guy would remove those bids...even if they didn't how could we really complain. Now obviously the case here is removed bids...who knows what happened but OBVIOUSLY there is no concrete evidence to show wrong doing. Now morphys does not owe anyone an explaination..but i bet a pm early on here would have been the most productive means to an answer. My 2 cents...probably worth half that wink as for that wadhams...Gawt damn I love that for the money.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved