Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
While not that rare, they are not damaged at all and in great condition except the paint. $425 ea shipped is not a bad buy. I have seen many of them sell at local auctions for up to $600.

I am selling these for exactly what I paid for them ($850). I Just scooped them up because I know someone here or on ebay wants them and would appreciate them more than the local antique shop lady that was bidding against me. At any rate, I apparently liked them more than she did because I went home with them.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: gr8_signfinds
I apparently liked them more than she did because I went home with them.

The globes, not the antique ladies lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can't base your price on local auctions. Local auctions have family members and very uneducated buyers. I have seen them bring 600 at local auctions to, but that in no way means that's what they are worth. You go to gas shows and you would be lucky on a good day to get 400. You may not want to hear that because of what you paid for them, but it's just the truth. Crowns are very common and take up a bunch of room.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #566122 Fri Sep 05 2014 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ones with a lot of paint missing are a hard sell at any price.

for reference... mint ones with excellent paint usually bring $450-$550 at shows... in my experience

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #566243 Sat Sep 06 2014 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
fishin for a sucker

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Blackout #567394 Wed Sep 10 2014 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #567397 Wed Sep 10 2014 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shawn-- Same ones as this thread. Previously offered here but that thread is locked.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=564938#Post564938

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Blackout #567449 Thu Sep 11 2014 02:55 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: hotroddeuce
fishin for a sucker

Here is one of the worst ones.... the seller was fishing for suckers on OldGas and couldn't get anyone to bite.
Started out at $4,500 and got all the way down to $800 before the thread got locked...... seems we are allowed to post about over priced stuff on Ebay and CL, but not here on OldGas..... too bad.

MOBILOIL"West Coast BLACK Porclain 1930sLetters

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555910#Post555910

Originally Posted By: DWSheffer
I can't help but look at posts in the for sale section and other areas and think to myself, WWDBS?....What Would DB Say?! smile I will be doing this for quite some time, hearing in my head what comments Dick would be making, as I will miss his directness even though it was hard for some to take.
Darin

Here are some quotes of Dick's about the seller in another thread:

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
In WA you could start at $5,000 & in a year sell for maybe $200-$250

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
The guy in Wa. is Exaggerating, DREAMING, HOPING!

huskybob #567450 Thu Sep 11 2014 03:37 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I very much wanted to comment on the locked thread, but respected the guidelines of this site. All that comes to mind is a yoyo.

Stu K. #567530 Thu Sep 11 2014 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm making a general comment and not trying to single anyone out. On the other hand, if the shoe fits wear it.

Pickers are not concerned about credibility. Money, money, money and more money is what they are after.

Where as, we as collectors plan on being in this for the long haul and even through our sales we develop and promote relationships based on trust and confidence. When we express prices to each other we want to sell quickly and fairly based on knowledge rather then greed. I think, when you have to drop prices on a regular bases and drastically; it shows that you are admitting that you overpriced the item and lacked the knowledge to set a fair price point. This doesn't portray sellers in a positive light. But, rather reveals them as being greedy and out of touch with their buyers and the hobby in general.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
I think, when you have to drop prices on a regular bases and drastically; it shows that you are admitting that you overpriced the item and lacked the knowledge to set a fair price point. This doesn't portray sellers in a positive light. But, rather reveals them as being greedy and out of touch with their buyers and the hobby in general.

Dave has hit the nail on the Head!

As you can see in my signature line I collect Crowns.........the seller is not even close in value on the most common Crown in less then desirable shape! wink

Last edited by 1937 GMC; Thu Sep 11 2014 04:48 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #567589 Thu Sep 11 2014 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That pretty much sums it up Dave!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #567751 Fri Sep 12 2014 10:06 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I don't understand. What would you guys be asking for a pair of these without any cracks or damage other than paint issues which they nearly all have???

See my question in the value forum...

huskybob #569439 Fri Sep 19 2014 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW!

The first time I saw this post was 2 nights ago and I feel that I don't have a choice but to respond to this personal attack and defend my self!
So, here is "my opinion", no matter how "ridiculous" some of you may think it is.

There are quite a few veteran and non veteran members that I have met, face to face, and quite a few more of you that I have talked to over the phone or on here by PM and a couple of you have anonymously called my phone and screamed obscenities at me over the course of the past few years! Yep, I've developed a "thicker skin" over time, on here, from being subjected to some of the members abuse.

Those of you that have bought items from me know how hard I work to try to take care of the item & the person that wrenched it from my hands. wink

Those of you who know me, know I really dig this stuff and enjoy the in depth history behind it and that I really enjoy meeting and the times with the people that enjoy this kind of stuff also.
Life has constantly reminded us all, lately, of what is really important and I look back and can say I have enjoyed every person that I have met, face to face at least, since starting on this petro road!

I totally expect this kind of dribble and foul behavior from some on here, but this is completely out of control to call me "the worst of them".
I'm not EVER "FISHING FOR A SUCKER" on here or anywhere that I list my stuff for sale on and I sure as hell should not have to put up with this kind of comment being directed at me and left up by the mods for almost a week! There is a difference between having a "thick skin" and being subjected to flat out cyber bullying and harassment! Cyber bullying is a MAJOR problem, by some, on this site and I understand, now, why it constantly continues on here. The past couple of weeks have been enlightening!

These are just the facts of what I live every day with and are not posted for drama or pity but I'm sure I'll catch flack for posting it.

Here is a picture of the "shoes that fit" me.
These are what I have to pay USD $240 for(with tax), to help me be able to walk around each day with a little less pain. Medicaid/Medicare won't cover them.
I'm disabled, poor and a single parent with sole custody of 2 boys. I started walking with a cane at the age of 37 and know the wheelchair is not many years away.
I work VERY HARD to try to make enough just to survive and put food on the table in front of my boys. I live with the knowledge that the more I do psychically and the harder I work, the faster it will take me to that chair but at least I'm still breathing, above ground and getting stuff done, slowly!

I have a natural talent for finding rare items and if I had my way, I WOULD NOT SELL A THING but I have no other choice if I want to continue finding what I do because I have NOT been handed what I have, like some of the negative posters on here have! I "built" this up to what it is today from a idea and MANY MANY HOURS of hard work!
I scrimp and scratch and save just to be able to buy the stuff that I find, but A LOT OF TIMES, I have to let them pass me by because I don't have the funds at my fingertips to be able to buy what I find.

Because of previous negative experiences on here, I don't ask for values on the value section and, Yes, I made a mistake on pricing those Mobil Oil letters, at first, and I was berated for a while on here for it!
I swallowed my pride, re-thickened my skin and didn't offer any excuses and then put a very very decent price on them calling it a "fire sale" and after a week or so no one wanted them, SO, I DECIDED TO TAKE THEM OFF HERE AND MARKED THEM AS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, ON HERE, AND ASKED THE MODS TO LOCK THE POST.
AGAIN, I ASKED THE MODS TO LOCK THE POST DOWN and it did not happen as HB assumed and posted above.

HOW ABOUT ALL OF YOU WHO DECIDE TO PERSONALLY CRITICIZE AND TRY TO DEHUMANIZE AND BLACKBALL ME OR ANY OTHERS ON HERE, TRY WALKING IN MY/OUR SHOES AND/OR LIVING MY/OUR LIFE FOR AWHILE B4 YOU DECIDE TO TYPE ANY MORE BELITTLING COMMENTS AND TRASH TALK!!

You all told this fellow member what your opinions were of his prices and why, before and after he asked, so why not just leave it alone after you answered his questions?
There is no need for this entire post except to feed the berating criticism beast that lurks on oldgas!
Oldgas would be even more amazing, than what it is, if that beast was hunted down and edited instead of coddled and giggled at!

DSCF4580r.jpg
Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Fri Sep 19 2014 02:45 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved