Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have some interesting stuff for auction on ebay right now. Some nice vintage original small soda carriers, Coke and RC. Also an original Pepsi thermometer and a really cool "Demand Butter" sign from the '50s! The butter sign is ultra rare. All sell tomorrow, Sunday evening, afternoon depending on your location.

Ebay item numbers:

Coke Cooler 331312512017
RC Cooler 331312500348
Pepsi Thermo 331313356011
Butter Sign 331313256990

small all.jpg coke1 small.jpg butter2 small.jpg

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Please don't ask

Sellers may not request payment for the sale of an item to be paid through Paypal as a gift.
All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I don't believe the Pepsi thermometer is very old. Have you had other people verify it to be old?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I LOVE the butter sign!!

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I'm pretty sure all red Pepsi thermometers are from the 80's. Originals in this style were white.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi guys, I guess you can never be certain about something being a reproduction or not, but i researched this thermometer before I listed it and think its legit. Ive had this thermometer since the early '80s and it looked old then. Also, before I listed it, I found multiple other vintage red pepsi thermometers of varying conditions that are identical to this one (picture included of two). If all the thermometers were pristine, that would be a tip off for sure. I also happen to have one of the red pepsi reproduction thermometers from the '80s, it was given to me as a gift because everyone new I was into thermometers! Here's a pic of it, scale is different too. I know this isnt proof, but it made me feel like this was a legit item.

Oh and yes, the butter sign is WAY cool, I love it. I happen to have an extra otherwise I wouldn't be selling it!

pepsi art fact copy.jpg pepsi old copy.jpg IMG_0967.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The red thermometer is a fantasy piece from the 1980's. It was made by Taylor and was sold along side other fantasy thermometers including packard, mail pouch, chevrolet, camel cigarettes, barkers horse linament. The series was called "americana" and the came in a box with upc code on it. You walked down the aisle of southern states, tractor supply, kmart, sears, ect picKed one up, put it in your cart and bought it. When the stock was running low the manager called Taylor and bought 100 more. This happen many times over the course of several years. The quality of the paint was terrible and if left outside for a few months, they looked like they 40 years old.

Big difference between these and a true advertising piece that was distributed through Pepsi to its proprietors that sold it's product.

I am 100% certain because it matters to me

Last edited by thermoman; Sun Sep 14 2014 05:44 AM.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
This was printed in the Pepsi collectors newsletter. As stated above, never made one in red until the 80's.

Mike

Red Therm Info.jpg
Last edited by Dewdude; Sun Sep 14 2014 12:37 PM.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Looking for nice, old soda signs, light-ups, and clocks. Mostly Pepsi and Mt. Dew.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Butter sign is cool

RIP Kiwi
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yeah that butter sign just sold for $500, I think that's one of those items that'll really appreciate with time. As far the thermometer, I contacted the guy who bought it and will let him decide what he wants to do...

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: thermoman
The red thermometer is a fantasy piece from the 1980's. It was made by Taylor and was sold along side other fantasy thermometers including packard, mail pouch, chevrolet, camel cigarettes, barkers horse linament. The series was called "americana" and the came in a box with upc code on it.

A simple search of ebay turned up this one still in the box. Fetched $55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Metal-Pe...=item35dbb58e90

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info on the thermometer. Like I mentioned, I owned it for about thirty years thinking it was older. I jumped on Worthpoint and saw many, many references to this being either 40s or 50s vintage and didnt really have any reason to question it. There is nothing about the construction that is different from other old thermometers I've owned, RC, etc. So, I've let the buyer know, and going to let him decide if he still wants it or not.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: BIGFOOT
Butter sign is cool

I know about the sign. There is actually quite a few in existence.

There is a matching "MILK" sign also. The signs are very big....about 6' x 4'.

They were found a couple years ago about 60 miles from me. I talked to the guy that found them and he said thee was large stacks. I bought a pair at a swap meet for $150 and sold them two hours later at $300. Just thought they were too big.

They were made by a private effort to promote Wisconsin dairy after the margarine came on the scene. They had the signs made....but their effort never got going and the signs went into a shed for 50 years.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Jim,

Yeah I was lucky enough to get the full story on these too. I spoke with the very nice guy who had the stacks of signs at length, he was really good friends with the Mr. Tom Tobola, who made these originally. He's out of signs now, I bought the last couple we has willing to part with. My ebay descriptions gives the details. I like how they werent mass produced, so at best theres like 30 of these, I bet 20, thats pretty low quantity when you think about it. The other sign you speak of is the "Choose Cheese" version, its way cool, but I only have one so its a keeper! One just sold on ebay for a little more than the butter sign I just sold. I know there big but that doesn't really bother me!

- Paul

cheese copy.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump Globe auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved