Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
OP Offline
S
For your consideration is this original porcelain Hood Tires Dealer Advertising Sign. Overall, this is in very nice condition with obvious chips, primarily to the edges/corners. The field is quite clean and the colors are very vivid. This measures 18" x 8" and is single sided. I tried to capture the originality and the condition in the photo's, happy to email additional pictures if needed. Please ask any questions. Asking $1,250. Shipping should be quite reasonable.

overview.jpg top.jpg mid section.jpg feet.jpg
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

S
OP Offline
S
additional pictures.....

lower field.jpg lower corner.jpg overview II.jpg back side.jpg
Last edited by scalptrader; Thu Sep 04 2014 08:50 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: scalptrader
original porcelain Hood Tires Dealer Advertising Sign.

you sure?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It appears it says MADE IN USA on the bottom LH corner of the sign?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gr8_signfinds
It appears it says MADE IN USA on the bottom LH corner of the sign?

sooo... not sure what you are implying.

the sign is a repop, regardless where it was made

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
and just for future reference... this sign is $32.95 new. it was originally dated properly as a repop in the lower right corner, until some schmuck somewhere in the supply chain decided to take a hammer & screwdriver and chip the marking away

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
is some schmuck somewhere in the supply chain decided to take a hammer & screwdriver and chip the marking away

it looks like he was busy with the ball-peen hammer... cool

Last edited by advertologist; Thu Sep 04 2014 09:25 AM. Reason: spel

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It looks to me like it says MADE IN INDIA in the lower left corner but could be eyes.

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Was not implying anything other than the fact it says made in the USA. Just curious how you knew it was a reproduction so I could learn something new today...

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
For one its a little too coincidental where the damage is along the bottom...just happens to be missing the important markings plus the size is a give away.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
unless I am mistaken, this a fantasy sign, no such thing as a real mccoy in this size/style. so its not a matter of knowing what to look for on the sign, its a matter of knowing what is real.

Ask yourself... how would a station use a 8"x18" tire advertising sign? if you cant visualize it, then stay away. try to think of the HISTORY of these items... not just that its a porcelain sign and you might be able to make a buck off it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not real.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WISH DB WAS HERE FOR THIS ONE.

HI FIVE!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: MDQG

Agreed

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fantasy sign that has been discussed on here before.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thank you. What I have learned here is that I need to familiarize myself with all reproduction items just as much as I do the real items and not buy anything unless I can see and touch it in person. Otherwise, who would know the difference.

The amount of counterfeiting and misrepresentation of porcelain signs is just staggering. I would not be surprised even a little bit if the entire market for authentic items collapses due to most people not knowing what's real and what isn't. I hate to say it, but I feel like this becoming more of a reality every day.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So at the risk of asking the obvious who got scalped? Or were we (the potential buyers) the ones to be scalped? In a PC world can I even ask this?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MDQG

ME TOO.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hmmm...post disappeared..
however scalp trader since you were "Hood" winked you can file a claim with eBay.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ask yourself... how would a station use a 8"x18" tire advertising sign? if you cant visualize it, then stay away. try to think of the HISTORY of these items...
Having very little knowledge myself to authenticate an original sign, I asked myself the question you posed. The 1st answer that came to mind was that a station could use it on a column near a pump island. The problem is that I could visualize a sign of this size pretty much anywhere at a gas station, so I'm not sure how being able to visualize it helps to determine authenticity?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I think of tire signs... I think of tire stands, tire flange signs, hanging tire signs, tire signs on sides of buldings, etc. I can't picture any tire signs of this size and I cant picture them being manufactured just to be used on a column near a pump island.

maybe im not making any sense... but this is just one step I use in looking at any questionable sign.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hear what you are saying, and it makes sense. But I also think you are drawing on quite a bit of additional knowledge about tire-related advertisements that an inexperienced collector would not have. Even if I visualize a tire stand 40+ years ago, there is no memory I have that makes me think this 8x18 sign is a fantasy piece.

The bottom-line, unfortunately, is that if there is enough money to be made, a talented counterfeiter will find a way to make an aged reproduction that could fool many/most collectors.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce, even when you try to educate the simple thought pattern that goes into "Thinking thru the process of it being a questionable size sign" why do the buyers with "very little knowledge" question your first step?

OK newbies, I was one of you once so please listen to the people when they tell you that an item is fake. questions are ok but don't question the person's explanation of how he makes his first observation. Ask first then Listen and learn before hitting the BIN button. And if it's going for cheap there's likely a reason to that.

It has saved me lots of $$$$$$

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
maybe im not making any sense... but this is just one step I use in looking at any questionable sign.

It seems to me the problem has become that ALL signs are now "questionable" for many reasons that have been talked about almost daily on this site.

Actual sale prices of items over the past 3 years supports this theory. They have come down and I believe they will continue to come down. Compare our collectibles to Red Wing brand (and similar) pottery and crocks. Prices were sky high, now you can hardly give them away. Same with tractor seats, hit and miss engines, sports memorabilia, etc. Prices are driven by demand. When a market is saturated with counterfeit items and crooks, the demand goes down and so does the price of authentic items. Just because a sign once sold for $1500, doesn't mean squat today. All collectibles are just things. Things which NOBODY NEEDS, but which they desire.

Personally, I now avoid porcelain signs and petroliana in general for resale purposes. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and still want to buy what I can that's actually a deal, but it's become too volatile. I've became gun shy due to the scammers and repops marked/represented as originals being sold everywhere including here (this post as an example).

As an ebay seller, I will openly admit that the majority of porcelain gas/oil signs I've sold have been at a loss. This is not because I'm buying them too high, but because the market for signs that are actually available and not in private collections has somewhat tanked and continues to do so. There is no room for the prices to go any higher and it is my opinion that the market has capped. Not to mention the "deals" have been dried up for some time now. In the past I have bought and sold them because I love them (who here doesn't), but they are not the items bringing any real profit in re-sale.

Many of the old timers in the hobby may still think prices are high and yes -to you they are. But to the people who started collecting in the last 3-5 years, the prices are now lower, and they continue to fall because there is no more room to go up. Eventually, guys like the jersey boys will end up taking losses on most of their inventory unless they want to sit on it forever and ever.

I question how they can continue. Most signs sit and sit. Some they sell and make some money, others are auctioned off because they need cash flow. Eventually, they will have sold everything but for what? Profit? At the end of the day I doubt it...

Sad but True (in my opinion)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Consider the source...do you buy electronics from a guy selling them out of the trunk of a beat up car in the parking lot of the liquor store?

Why would anyone that works hard for their money and has a few brain cells not do some homework?

The problem is greed; whether it's slimy e-Bay sellers, pickers and even inexperienced collectors wanting to make a quick buck.

No one should be collecting or selling beyond their expertise. Honest mistake or not...this should simply not be happening. If it was up to me...this member would be losing their privilege to sell items until they learn the difference between an original and a repop/fantasy sign. Very little homework required to determine this Hood Tires sign as a repop.

This kind of situations undermine and erode credibility...seller is going to wear this for some time. Even for e-Bay it started with just one fake item being listed and sold on e-Bay...look how big that problem has gotten today.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Sep 04 2014 12:32 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a ridiculous statement, all may be questionable to you because of many reasons but there a lot of folks on here and many more not on here that have a clue. Why would someone buy this POS in the first place, there have been a lot on Ebay and as said earlier this sign has been discussed.
As to Red Wing in went down for the same reason Victorian furniture tanked. It's not relevant to current population. Gas and oil stuff is the exception. Signs from the 20's are still very popular and I'd venture that nobody on this site was around to see them originally. This market hasn't capped for quality pieces, it has only capped for people that don't have the intelligence to figure out what a fantasy sign is.
As to sales records, look again, good quality items still bring large sums, common items for the most part have stayed the same.
If you lose money buying and selling this stuff the it's a good idea to get out. I just bought a pile of stuff and I'll make money even though I only bought it to get a couple pieces in the collection. It's not rocket science, just common sense.
Originally Posted By: gr8_signfinds

It seems to me the problem has become that ALL signs are now "questionable" for many reasons that have been talked about almost daily on this site.

Actual sale prices of items over the past 3 years supports this theory. They have come down and I believe they will continue to come down. Compare our collectibles to Red Wing brand (and similar) pottery and crocks. Prices were sky high, now you can hardly give them away. Same with tractor seats, hit and miss engines, sports memorabilia, etc. Prices are driven by demand. When a market is saturated with counterfeit items and crooks, the demand goes down and so does the price of authentic items. Just because a sign once sold for $1500, doesn't mean squat today. All collectibles are just things. Things which NOBODY NEEDS, but which they desire.

Personally, I now avoid porcelain signs and petroliana in general for resale purposes. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and still want to buy what I can that's actually a deal, but it's become too volatile. I've became gun shy due to the scammers and repops marked/represented as originals being sold everywhere including here (this post as an example).

As an ebay seller, I will openly admit that the majority of porcelain gas/oil signs I've sold have been at a loss. This is not because I'm buying them too high, but because the market for signs that are actually available and not in private collections has somewhat tanked and continues to do so. There is no room for the prices to go any higher and it is my opinion that the market has capped. Not to mention the "deals" have been dried up for some time now. In the past I have bought and sold them because I love them (who here doesn't), but they are not the items bringing any real profit in re-sale.

Many of the old timers in the hobby may still think prices are high and yes -to you they are. But to the people who started collecting in the last 3-5 years, the prices are now lower, and they continue to fall because there is no more room to go up. Eventually, guys like the jersey boys will end up taking losses on most of their inventory unless they want to sit on it forever and ever.

I question how they can continue. Most signs sit and sit. Some they sell and make some money, others are auctioned off because they need cash flow. Eventually, they will have sold everything but for what? Profit? At the end of the day I doubt it...

Sad but True (in my opinion)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
Bryce, even when you try to educate the simple thought pattern that goes into "Thinking thru the process of it being a questionable size sign" why do the buyers with "very little knowledge" question your first step?

The goal of questioning is learning. How is this hobby going to continue if you don't want people questioning/learning? And to take that question a step further - what is going to happen when the guys with all of the knowledge have passed on? If you are hard on people for trying to learn, do you think that is going to promote growth of the hobby or just push people away?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff... without any tribal knowledge, my entire thought process would consist of something like this:

What color is the back?
Plain vibrant white is an immediate flag

Where are the porcelain chips, how do they look?
the chips appear to be placed intentionally. normal chipping near grommet holes are the result of a screw being torqued too tightly. those chips are obviously from blunt force multiple times.

How was this sign used?
As I mentioned before... not something I can 'imagine'

GOOGLE & OldGas Search?
what comes up in a quick search

More thorough search:
Books and literature, have you ever seen this sign?

Do all of that every time you come across a questionable sign and you will most likely come to the right result

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well Jeff now you have not read and understood what Bryce said and missed my whole point. Yes you may ask questions so that you learn but please don't question the answer before you take a moment and figure out what he trying to tell you. Think about what he said so he doesn't have to say it again. The problem is everyone want's to know how to tell what's real and what isn't ASAP and that's not possible. I've been at this most of my life and I'm still asking and learning.....The best thing you can have in this hobby is the patience to listen and learn.

Thanks
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There have been several of these signs around here with the important information missing. I just saw another one on Wed.
at an auction. I thought it was a repro and stayed clear of it.
It sold for $350. I am glad to know my gut feeling was right.

Last edited by Recycle68; Thu Sep 04 2014 02:56 PM.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The way you know that sign is reproduction is to go out and see the real thing. If you have been in it for a while, its easy to see. If you haven't you have to do a little more research. Buy some books and compare. Get some of the repo catalogues and see that they offer this sign for less than 30.00 shipped. Most of the time, the size will give it away immediately. Other times its harder. Ask more questions and be informed. I believe that same sign has been discussed here before.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Maybe scalptrader bought it Wednesday at Shipshewana,he has been there before.. just a thought

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is the fact this guys goes by the name scalptrader seem ironic. I mean, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. It's that good.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
My question is Where is scalptrader now, have not heard thank you for the information or anything on this.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jbrooks
For one its a little too coincidental where the damage is along the bottom...just happens to be missing the important markings plus the size is a give away.

I see these "signs" listed, but never follow the auctions. Just looked at completed auctions and found several of them. All are advertised as original, none advertised as new. All have damage in the corner. Even the top dog "NICEST ORIGINAL ON HERE NOW OR EVER"...

$1,580.00

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amazing how they can have damage all around the grommets, but the grommets look untouched!! C'mon...........

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Whoever the damage "artist" was on scalptrader's sign, didn't like feet... if the intent was to convey this was once used for target practice. To make an accurate fake, you need shots to either the head, chest or balls.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Last Online | Display Name | Status Total Posts Location Occupation
scalptrader (Member #12370)
User
Registered On: Sun Jan 30 2011 01:23 PM
69 Chicago

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here is a similar one on ebay "conveniently chipped" LOL

Aged Hood REPO

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Tons of fake stuff in completed sales.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow $405 and $1580 for a $32 repop. E-bayer DOWNATTHEBUILDING should be in jail for fraud.

I am by no means an expert (nor do I claim to be), but for new guys, you can find clues sometimes. Like those before me said, do your homework, sometimes it's very easy to locate the same repop for sale on other websites (even check google images, and click on the image to see if it is a brand new sign from a repop dealer).

Also if they are on e-bay, look at all the other items the person has for sale. Do they have a lot? Do others items look fake? Guy has 10 signs for sale and the date is chipped off every one of them!!!

E-bayer DOWNATTHEBUILDING conveniently has close ups of nearly every part of the sign, except the most important corner (lower right). I also like how he puts it on an old rusty rig to try to validate it's age.

Also when you locate a couple of the same signs, like Bryce and Tom did above. Compare them. E-bayer MAYLA0624 and MTUMEY are both from Chattanooga, TN. They also both joined ebay one month apart in 2011. Same person???? Bought a bunch of Hood signs and selling beat up repops as originals under two different names????? I could be wrong, as their other items for sale are a little different from each other, but I would put a little money on it.

I'm not saying any one of these individual clues means it's fake but sometimes when you ad them up, it helps.

Again I could be wrong, but I am pessimistic. I think 75% of things on e-bay are fake... LOL. And as a joke, that my be the pipe lying on the floor in the background, used by MTUMEY to beat up his sign. LOL

Again, I'm not an expert, but if this helps somebody from getting ripped off, then that's a good thing.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never looked at these to closely, these are hidious!...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-4-FT-HOOD-...=item4ac59a3f75

From the infamous lacie51... http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STYLE-18-HOO...=item25937444bc

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Speedracer
Wow $405 and $1580 for a $32 repop.

$530... also has the bottom right corner conveniently chipped away.

This is what the "real" fake sign bottom reads...

hood.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be nice if people could post comments below items for sale on e-bay. Can you imagine how many people would get 'called-out' on their fake items? And how many people would be saved from being ripped off.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: Speedracer
It would be nice if people could post comments below items for sale on e-bay. Can you imagine how many people would get 'called-out' on their fake items? And how many people would be saved from being ripped off.

Best Idea I've heard yet

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent Idea!!!

Thanks
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that would work, ebay isn't going to think so... cool

RANDY
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I think we should start a campaign to make this happen.

Blitz eBay's customer service with call after call on Monday? If they get 100 calls asking the same question, do you think it would get to someone that can make things happen? I think sharing the idea, as well as explaining why would be important.

Just thinking because it's such an excellent idea. It would be important for comments to be kept clean, follow eBay's policies, and also so they could not be blocked or modified by the seller. Now how great would that be???!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you're dreaming... will never happen. there is no value added to ebay as a business.

and the mere manpower needed to monitor every listing's comments, not a chance.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Wishful thinking I guess

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gr8_signs, Speedracer and Brice what are you folks going to add to the conversation?

Hell, what are most of those in the Petro Hobby going to add to the conversation?

If anyone on Oldgas has ever had to ask: "What is this worth" or "Can someone give me some background info on this item and/or Company"? Then you are NOT knowledgeable enough to make decisions about and therefore statements about the authenticity of someone else's items.... I include myself in that group...

I have never had to ask what something was worth... But, I do not have knowledge of way too many Companies that existed from the 1900s up to the 1990s.... And if I am not familiar with these Companies, then I sure the hell am not familiar with all the items and products they sold and the advertising they used to sell their products...

I don't know anyone who is 100% familiar with every Oil Company that existed and every item that was produced... That is why, "The New Discoveries" Forum in PCM Magazine is so interesting...

Here on Oldgas, so many times, way too many times! Someone will post an image of an item(s) and ask questions about it... And there are always "experts" that proclaim the item(s) to be "fake"...

And then a Member with actual knowledge of the item(s) with give the correct "pedigree" and background of the item(s)...

This happens a lot with the smaller Regional Companies (especially if they didn't last long and were merged into a much larger Company) And with foreign products... Signage that is not common to the U.S.

So imagine that YOU, put an item up for auction on Ebay.... And with a "New Policy" pushed through by "Newbie" Oldgas Members... Those with no actual knowledge are able to comment on your items?... Those making the comments, don't have to prove to anyone that they have any actual knowledge about any segment of the Petro Hobby. Let alone specific knowledge about YOUR item...

They may not like you, so they could make up BS about your item... Kind of like the "star rating" system that was discussed here on Oldgas...

I knew for a fact that enough Members dislike me, because of my caustic attitude and the "tone" of my posts... That if possible most if not all of my posts would receive negative ratings... Even if the posts where 100% factual....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I submit that anyone making a comment as described be banned from bidding on that item. Who is to say that someone would not proclaim an item to be fake in the hopes of keeping the bidding down.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Bob. No matter what is in place, it will be abused. Like the old cliche, rules are for honest people. Dishonest people will always find a way around them.

The problem is dishonest people...not e-Bay or the reproduction signs.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: GILMORE
Never looked at these to closely, these are hidious!...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-4-FT-HOOD-...=item4ac59a3f75

From the infamous lacie51... http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STYLE-18-HOO...=item25937444bc

LOL, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HOOD MAN? HE LOOKS SPUN OUT ON SOME TYPE OF DRUGS. WHAT A POOR ATTEMPT AT A REPOP.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Then you are NOT knowledgeable enough to make decisions about and therefore statements about the authenticity of someone else's items

in this case, you are wrong Bob. I knew the sign was a repop, and I knew the sign was worth $32.95. I think my statements of authenticity of this sign were spot on.

But as for the othe info I offered Bob... I was giving factual information of how I evaluate questionable signs. I was not stating that I know the history of Hood tire company or of any company.

I was offering my thoughts, aka contributing, where I felt it would be helpful.

If you are going to ridicule those that offer insight to others, then there will be no one left to contribute to the site.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brice, it is true that you called the Hood sign, correctly...

As I said, if one has to ask the value of an item or ask for help finding information on the background of an Oil Company... Then they do not have the knowledge to pass "judgement" on any else's items...

All it takes is one time making a comment on an item and being wrong. There is "no replay" button to push; to correct any potential and actual damage that may have been done by being incorrect...

Something to think about; A good portion of the most knowledgeable Members on Oldgas, do not pass judgement or even comment on other Member's items... (that leaves me out, because I comment on other Member's item much too often)

The one's I've talked to about this subject, realize that there is no such thing as being 100% positive... And all it takes is being wrong once...

And the result of being wrong can injure another Member's Reputation and/or destroy a possible transaction ...

And they wouldn't want that to happen to them, so they won't do to anyone else....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
The strength in numbers of a discussion forum is that there are some collectors who have lots of experience in Mobil or gas pumps and not nearly as much in Gilmore or oil cans. If we share what we know from experience, every person doesn't need to be an expert at everything. I can learn form you and we can both learn from the next guy.

The people who act like they know everything about everything usually don't.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Amen to that last sentence Jim, Amen.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
prices are lower than they were 3-5 years ago? Best joke I've heard on oldgas in a long time

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Perdue31
prices are lower than they were 3-5 years ago?

where are you shopping?... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Perdue31
prices are lower than they were 3-5 years ago? Best joke I've heard on oldgas in a long time

When he's buying. But, they are up 10x or more when he's selling!

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
The strength in numbers of a discussion forum is that there are some collectors who have lots of experience in Mobil or gas pumps and not nearly as much in Gilmore or oil cans. If we share what we know from experience, every person doesn't need to be an expert at everything. I can learn form you and we can both learn from the next guy.

Did somebody say Gilmore? wink I agree well put!

Last edited by luminor89; Sat Sep 06 2014 09:56 AM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Oh Jim, did you ever say it well. thanks you made my day. And is so true.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

Excellent way with words, Jim!!!

Thanks
Mike

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks to all who commented and provided me and others with great information and in my case a valuable lesson! Sorry for not originally commenting as I got called out of country on a business trip and after returning I just had an opportunity to catch up on 5 pages of threads! Clearly and without question the sign is fake but instead of taking the post down I think there is more value in allowing the members go through it. And to those commenting on Scalptrader trader, I used to be a professional floor trader in the pits in Chicago where you would scalp or trade many orders hoping to make a small fraction! Thanks again for the education.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: scalptrader
And to those commenting on Scalptrader trader, I used to be a professional floor trader in the pits in Chicago where you would scalp or trade many orders hoping to make a small fraction! Thanks again for the education.

...like the guys in 'Trading Places'? wink

"Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?"

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's that dollar I owe you Mark.

trading_places_one_dollar.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL...but I wish you'd posted a pic of Jamie Lee in that bikini laugh

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved