Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love him or hate him him, there is no doubt Dick was genuine 100% of the time. He forgot more about pumps then most will ever know. He was never afraid to help a newbie or a veteran member. I always though dick would go of heatstroke at Iowa gas; this is a huge shock. Prayers to his Wife!

Scott Wright
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We shared a passion for old gas pumps, and became friends because of it, he taught me a lot, and I'm gonna miss him. Next time I was there he was going to take me to the Santa Paula airport to look at the Staggerwing's, another interest we shared, RIP My Friend.

Last edited by PogoGas.com; Fri Aug 29 2014 09:19 PM.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I only met DB once and he was a great character. I will miss his commentary, sense of humor and wisdom. Rest in peace Dick.

Last edited by wolf1980; Fri Aug 29 2014 09:21 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow I cant tell you all the time me and DB went rounds over stuff, I think I have got kicked off a couple times from some off the stuff we said back and forth It was all in good fun, he was always on when I was late at night and I always would post a picture late and he would be right there to give me info, and to correct me on my spelling LOL I sent him one can to repair. I always gave him a hard time about all the 36b tops he would not let go of. DB you are going to very missed R.I.P.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I want to put a different bend on this sad story. Dick was the first person I met when I got in this hobby and we live only half hour apart. I've been to his house probably two dozen times but always just for a short 5 minutes to pick up or deliver something. Now I'm going to throw our "good friend" Obama Care in. After all these years and now I'll always wonder why, I spent over an hour with Dick a week ago and part of the time we discussed his health. He told me he was feeling bad and couldn't afford to go to the doctor/hospital until Sept first because he couldn't get onto Obama Care until then. I told him I'd give him the money to go because he needed to go that day but he just gave his DB shrug and said he'd wait. God rest your soul Dick and I'll always be sorry I didn't push you harder to go to emergency
Ray

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
So sorry to hear!! Dick you will truly be missed on O.G, you had such knowledge and always willing to share! I always looked forward to your HUMOR and wit everyday when I checked out O.G!! May GOD be with you Judy ,and your FAMILY during this very hard time, LEAN on him, he is there for you. GOD BLESS, Brian

Looking for anything to do with The Rapson Tyre Co.
P
P
What a shame!! Met and talked with DB half a dozen times in Des Moines. Surprised to learn he was a few years younger than me. Received a number of PM's from Dick over the years asking questions about specific Mobil-related items or company-
related history. Always made me feel good to think he thought of me as a knowledgeable person. Respect is a hard thing to earn, and DB certainly had it from many, as evidenced by all the preceding posts. We all miss him already!!

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just wanted to mention my personal encounter with DB. We were going to Santa Paula to pick up a pump that I bought from Big Block Anthony that was residing at GPR's place. Dick said he'd meet us there. Well he helped load up the trailer and we went for lunch and then he showed us the town of SP. He had a number of pumps on display in the museum attached to the Union Oil Head Office Building and we tried to get into see those but it was the holidays and the curator would not return his call and we couldn't get in! We went to his home where we were treated to his Visi tree, Twin Towers of 36B tops, Wayne 492 as well as a visit to the guest bedroom. Now not too many women would have liked it but boy oh boy us petro guys would have! You can see why from the picture.
He was a patient gracious host and always asked of Bev in our subsequent conversations. A far far different person from the persona his avatar so well portrayed on OG. Judging from the response to the news of his passing one can say that you can spell respect on OG: DICK BENNETT.
Travel well Dick and see you in a few years,eh! And hopefully the curator answered your last call my friend.

trip to SG and BC 192 (450x338) (400x300).jpg
Dick showing us Union Oil smalls

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
tragic, I'll miss him, we had some great exchanges over shared opinions, rest in peace

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My God...Never met the man, had many conversations and he helped me out on one transaction to complete my pump and yet I'm in tears...He is with God ! and may God bless his family and friends with peace and comfort in these tough times.......

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
God Bless DB, I met him at Iowa Gas 2013 and had a great few days visiting with him. He was a True asset to the hobby and will be missed!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My heartfelt condolences and prayers sent to Judy as well as his family and friends.

I am saddened by this loss. He made me laugh everyday and I always looked forward to checking Oldgas and seeing what he was up to. It is an understatement to say that this site will never be the same or hold the same allure. Those that knew DB; know that this hobby/site has lost more then it can every hope to replace. There are some losses that even time can not make up for. The passing of my friend, DB is one of them.

I feel privileged and honored to have had the opportunity get to know DB. It is unfortunate, that I never got to meet him. DB and I exchanged numerous e-mails and/or PM's almost on a daily basis.

I hold DB in high esteem and have the utmost respect for him. Him and I shared similar views and ideas on many subjects. I am sure, in the years to come I will fondly reflect on those colored conversations! He had a way with words, a quick wit that kept you on your toes.

"Words are few but thoughts are deep. Memories of our friendship I will always keep."

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry to hear this as I found out earlier today. He will be missed. I enjoyed his sarcasm as it was just like me. RIP DB and will miss him relidding many cans for me. He was a walking encyclopedia of pumps. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm at a loss of words right now. Just plain in total shock!!
We Just got home from a trip up to see a fellow Old-Gasser and find this thread and thought it was a joke.
The man contacted me on my Birthday this year to welcome me to the old farts club.
Talked about him getting better so he'd be back at Iowa gas next year.
We have been pming back and forth over the last week over a few things and his last message to me was @ 9:20 last night and I wondered this morning why he had not read my reply ........
DB, I will miss you bigtime. It has been an honor to know you, learn from you and call you my friend!
And it's sad to think that the idiots in Washington who think they have all the answers to Healthcare probably took away this wealth of knowledge way too soon!

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all his
friends .

Just to share a few of his last DB's from my PM with him:

"He [them] who keeps mouth shut collects No Flies, tells No Lies"

"Some times it Feels good being a DICK!"

Newbies_zps7e5f3e051.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was very saddened to hear this as well. I was at work tonight and got two messages from fellow oldgassers that DB passed away . I never got the chance to meet DB in person but talked and agervated him via pm messages almost weekly for the past year and a half . Last Christmas I actually mailed him a 1 lb chunk of coal with no return address , he played possum like he knew nothing . We talked more than one occasion of his stories of fishing and frog gigging when he was a kid growning up in westeren mo . Like it or not he told it how he seen it , one has to respect that ......He will be missed ..... RIP DB .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved