Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#562654 Fri Aug 22 2014 04:20 PM
Larry P Offline OP
OP Offline
Pick these up today, the tank is a Bowser and the cans are Standard of New York. The tank was some greasy and I found it has a brass tag that allows you to pump a certain amount of oil at a time. The old oil inside was also nasty, but it pumped right out, I just got to find a good way to clean the inside. I pressure washed the outside then wiped it down with WD40. The float still works and the indicator stick is there but I'm not sure how that was marked to show the amount left.

Added some photos, but unsure of the vintage.

tank.jpg cans.jpg tag.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Larry P Offline OP
OP Offline
Few more

float.jpg gauge.jpg indicator.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pictures show everything except where the oil come out. That would really help date this.
Probably from around 1901-1905. With a tank that size it was probably used in a factory, but could have been used anywhere. When used in a general store, they were usually encased in wood for appearance sake.

Could possibly be a Model 63, 65 or 67.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Aug 22 2014 04:57 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
M
very neat

Larry P Offline OP
OP Offline
I never noticed the spout was not in the photo, so here's one.

spout.jpg
Larry P Offline OP
OP Offline
better pic of top

top.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Could also have been in back room of a general Store for KEROSENE/ PAINT THINNER, or any number of liquids.

The measuring wooden stick had numbers starting at top when tank was FULL [tank appears to be 50gal] & numbers decreased by 5gal to bottom EMPTY.Float inside is approx 7" dia x 2" height soldered to rod w/ square attached at top.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are my 5gal & 10gal versions of BOWSER's

& a Salesmans Sample, approx 3 x 4 x 3" Tank;

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Aug 22 2014 07:06 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The tanks that Dick shows were used in general stores, and maybe anywhere, where they dispensed small amounts of liquids. These small tanks were used to pump linseed oil, syrups, molasas, paint thinner, etc. Remember Bowser went into the pump business, they were not selling gas pumps. They were selling small pumps that were used in general stores, then they branched out to sell small pumps to machine shops, etc. Then when they finally invented the automobile, pumps that would pump larger amounts of gasoline.

Gilbarco was a large company making lanterns, but their idea was to have them fualed by gasoline instead of kerosene. They sold so many gasoline lights that Standard Oil invested in them, that is why so many early Gilbarco sales brochure have Standard's name in them. Compared to kerosene very little gasoline was sold before the invention of the automobile. Bowser was the company you went to, to purchase a pump for your kerosene.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved