Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Not hundreds of times over you won't - especially when you're selling something for very close to what you had initially paid for it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Perdue31
Could be the Southern in me, but if a man is going to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars with me I'll spare a box and a few feet of tape

bingo

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Actually Yes I would.... I just had this conversation yesterday on another forum. First I am going to start by saying I have only been buying/selling/collecting for the past 5 years and been on oldgas for 3 years so this is just my opinion since I have started doing this. By no way, shape, or form am I stating I am an expert. But I feel like I started right before the market took off. The buyer/resellers that started in the past 2 years I believe is what is ruining the market. The ones who buy something and only expect to make 25-50 bucks off an item. Number 1 business rule if your not making at LEAST 25-30% profit your not doing something right. By complaining about selling something for about the same price you paid makes me think you are trying to make some off of shipping charges. Its not the buyers fault for you selling something for what you had in it. It's yours! They should not have to pay double the cost of shipping because you nearly broke even. I believe this is becoming more and more a problem esp. for collectors. Resellers paying nearly what an item is really worth and spending $800(for example) and only trying to make 50-100. IF you get 100 profit what is that 12.5%. Not smart business. I know it's getting harder and harder for dealers/resells/and collectors to find items but this stuff is still out there. Be wise when you spend your money. I hate to hear someone complain about not making any profit then charging the seller twice the amount for shipping. Again only person to blame is yourself!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
You are completely off. I put the item up at .99 no reserve with $30 flat rate shipping which only covers my cost in no way profit. I was not complaining about anything just pointing out the FACTS. Buyers simply need to pay attention to additional costs (including shipping) and take it into consideration when determining their final bid. It's really very simple.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
No, only person is off is the one charging $30 to ship a 3lb 20x14x4 packaged item. Fact is it would cost no more than 15 dollars to ship. I'm not trying to be hard, just honest. Like I said before, Shipped one yesterday that measured 32x12x4. 6lbs. $14.10 insured to MN from NC by Fedex.

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm charging $30 to ship a package that costs me $31.75 total to ship. This has already been established and your statement above is incorrect for me and this sign. I do not have the same rates as you apparently and I need to cover my costs. I advise my buyers who ask about shipping cost to just take the amount into consideration when determining their highest bid. Very simple, very honest.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a simple fix to this problem....Right below the shipping choices on the seller page is "•Handling cost: US $ "

IMO, use that to be honest with your buyers.

Myself when I sell on E-bay I get all my boxes free from diferent locations and reuse them. My tape, packing slip envolopes and my time is paid for out of the profits of the items I sell.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
Myself when I sell on E-bay I get all my boxes free from diferent locations and reuse them. My tape, packing slip envolopes and my time is paid for out of the profits of the items I sell.

...EXACTLY...

...there are plenty of shipping materials one can get for FREE...reuse old shipping material, and you're keeping it out of the landfill for a little longer...

...$1.00 worth of stickers? Write FRAGILE on the package with a Sharpie...

...I just shipped two Fire Chief signs to Australia, and it might have been $40?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
I shipped a big, heavy, 4'x3' porcelain Opaline sign for like $25.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just did a quick lookup on UPS for shipping a 5 pound package from NY city to LA was 5LBS 32x16x6 was 20.16. would be less from minn since its about 1/3 way there. Shipping UPS ground.

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LESS than $15 USPS PARCEL POST, 5 day Delivery Ca to NY, w/ Confirmation!

$31.75 total to ship, Overnight AIR?
B.S.

Anyone have a ebay Link to IGNORE THIS SELLER?

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Aug 22 2014 07:16 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
overcharging for shipping could effect final outcome price realized for a item as most figure that in on the total they want too invest in item... cool

RANDY
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I've never seen so much B.S. in 9 years on oldgas discussing shipping a 12" X 18" pump plate. I've sold probably 80 of those plates over the years. Never paid more than $16.00 + insurance for 6 pieces of cardboard cut at 16" X 22", 2" all the way around the sign, 3 deep on each side.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
P.S. That sign ain't NO where near Excellent condition. : )))

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

If I buy a item from YOU and you package the item in s $6 275# crush test double wall special order box, use $2 worth of heavy duty packing tape, $1 worth of stickers saying "DO NOT DROP" & "DO NOT BEND", plus pay $19.75 to UPS for the actual shipping cost, would you charge me $19.75? Thats not even taking into consideration that eBay hits all sellers a 10% fee on shipping charges on every item sold.

SO...

19.75+6.00+2.00+1.00 = $28.75

If you flat rate me at $30, you would net $27 which equals a loss of 1.75

I wouldn't think about it that hard if I were a buyer though.

I'd take the advertised shipping/handling fee into consideration when determining my final bid. And, I would be happy when it arrived fast, safe, and packaged in a way that exceeded my expectations.

I think you better slow down on the tape and stickers. LMAO

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved