Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
poor guy
Originally Posted By: SeanPickerCarder
People are harsh on oldgas. You think they would try to help a younger guy that appreciates antique signs. Not try to put him down lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MOST have a Weakly Weekly PRICE REDUX.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So when I do find people selling & I post the signs on here at a good price you guys aren't going to jump all over it? Yeah right!

Define good price; history has shown that "Pickers" idea of a good price and reality are miles.... or hundreds to thousand of dollars a part.

Due to the influx of flippers or flipping of Petroliana prices have skyrocketed; Pickers buy at retail or above retail and think that there is still meat on the bone.....but there isn't. Search today postings you'll see a great example of what we are describing to you.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
People are harsh on oldgas. You think they would try to help a younger guy that appreciates antique signs. Not try to put him down lol

I think that is what everyone is trying to do is help . It would be better to say send me a PM if you have any signs to sell and you decide in private if they are reasonable.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, the reality and words of wisdom that are being offered to you will help you throughout your life time.

Best advice offered was by DB. Get an education, trade/career that will feed you and your future family. Don't bank your future away on a passing trend. Nothing like a steady paycheck, not affected by peoples interests or economic trends.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Aug 11 2014 07:45 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would echo everything that Kevin had to say. To reach into this hobby, get out and hunt for the stuff, its still out there. We (the hobby) are willing buyers - at least within our own personal price ranges for items we seek. And we will gladly give direction, advise, and assistance to all, old or young, newbie or old timer. But understand there are no handouts or easy finds. Its a great bunch of folks, some I've known nearly 40 years, and the real find is the friendship in the hobby.

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
OP Offline
I definitely don't think the "old guys" are easy picking. Just looking for a place to start. & just so everyone knows I've received 2 messages from different collectors already will to negotiate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very well said Kevin.
Even though I have a few signs that I got when I was a kid, a number of years back I got out and went to auctions, swap meets and gas shows. And though It took some time buying and selling, I now think I have a pretty sweet collection. I think like everything else in life this generation just thinks they deserve it all to come to them without hard work!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
OP Offline
You guys are assuming I'm expecting everything to be handed to me. I do go to auctions, meets & show. I will put in my work eventually, just looking for a place to start.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As said before, Read Kevin Frith's message a few times and let it sink it. And have patience so you don't overpay....And look at e-bays completed auctions, and completed auctions on auction houses websites to learn prices. There's your start!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
OP Offline
I appreciate advice & tips like that.

Thanks!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Welcome to oldgas. Calling these knowledgable collectors "harsh" doesn't get many favors. Just because your 22 doesn't mean these guys are going to bend over backwards and do flips for you. I'm 21, and been around antiques my entire life. Being young in the hobby means quite the opposite. People will watch you like a hawk to see if you do your homework, as well as hard work into it. You will have to prove yourself just like the veteran collectors had to do when they first started. Being a "picker" on this sight doesn't go over so well on this site, just ask the others. Oh that's right they realized it wasn't as easy as TV showed them.

Please read every comment these guys make on here, they are very knowledgeable about the subject, and very willing to help of asked correctly! If someone says something to you that you don't like. Don't retaliate. Take it with a grain of salt, chances are nothing was meant by it. Read all you can, listen all you can.

Hope this doesn't offend you or anyone else, just my opinion. I'm glad to see someone else my age join the site, but us new guys are like children: to be seen, and not heard.

Welcome to Oldgas!
Brandon.

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
OP Offline
I haven't taken any offence from the comments directed towards me, I know I have I work my way up & I will eventually do that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oldgas hazing at it's finest, and you stood up and took it like a man, good job! Well said Kevin and Wayne!

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

OP Offline
One day soon ill be negotiating with you guys. Don't count me out.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved