Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#559830 - Mon Aug 11 2014 01:31 PM Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City
fordlandia Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Being new to the forum, I hope this is an OK place to post this topic.

As I mentioned in my new member posting, my wife's grandfather and father owned and operated a Sinclair service station in Salt Lake City starting in the early 1920's and continuing until about 1980. As a result, I have a special interest in Sinclair collectibles.

I thought this photo might be of interest. If any forum members in the Salt Lake City area have pictures of the station, I'd sure like to see them. The station was located on 4th South, just west of the Newhouse Hotel. In fact, it was originally a storage and service garage for the hotel, prior to its conversion to a Sinclair station.

A much larger size photo can be seen at this link:
Samuel's Garage - Large Size Photo

I found a photo of the corner before the Samuel's bought the property.
Newhouse Hotel Garage

Regards,

Bill

Edited by fordlandia (Mon Aug 11 2014 03:36 PM)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#559834 - Mon Aug 11 2014 01:51 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: fordlandia]
Steven C. Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: MICHIGAN
Very cool and interesting family history!!
Incredible signage in that first pic. And the hanging street lights are cool!!!

Interesting that the private business spot light is hanging on the public utility pole!

Edited by Steve C. (Mon Aug 11 2014 01:53 PM)

#559835 - Mon Aug 11 2014 01:57 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: Steven C.]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
Cool photo's. I like the Coca Cola Cafe sign!!

#559837 - Mon Aug 11 2014 02:07 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: Dave's Garage]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
that's when they had architecture... cool

#559852 - Mon Aug 11 2014 02:50 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: advertologist]
fordlandia Offline

I actually have a "huge" digital photo I was able to purchase from the Salt Lake City Historical commission. "Zooming in" shows an even greater amount of detail. Click this link:

Close Up Samuel's Garage

ACTUALLY: for me, clicking on this link then permits me to "zoom in" even more by left clicking on the image. Not sure if that works for everyone...

"Left Click" your mouse to zoom in...

Thanks for the nice comments!

Bill

Edited by fordlandia (Mon Aug 11 2014 02:57 PM)

#559855 - Mon Aug 11 2014 03:02 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: fordlandia]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
William, It is a fantastic looking building, thanks for sharing the images.

This seems to be a great way to help keep the Building's history alive for your Wife and her Family. It also gives a backdrop for anyone living in or traveling to the Greater Salt Lake Community; And of course for us, here on Oldgas!

Speaking for myself, thanks again!

P.S. I realize this is a long shot.... But, is anything left of the building at that location, now?

#559858 - Mon Aug 11 2014 03:28 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: Bob Richards]
nam5072 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lancaster, PA
I want every sign...and piece of advertising.

#559860 - Mon Aug 11 2014 03:34 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: nam5072]
fordlandia Offline

My wife and I just checked "Google Streets" map for the corner. Sadly, it is a huge parking lot now! I have some more photos that I'll scan and add to this subject (once I locate them!).

Bill

#559864 - Mon Aug 11 2014 03:41 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: fordlandia]
Wes Maxwell Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Central Ohio
I don't recall ever seeing the vertical Sinclair signs before? Anyone have one in their collection of have a color picture of one?
I have seen the horizontal strip sign, the HC signs and the two different credit card signs before.

#559868 - Mon Aug 11 2014 04:08 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: Wes Maxwell]
1937 GMC Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: DFW Texas
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I don't recall ever seeing the vertical Sinclair signs before? Anyone have one in their collection of have a color picture of one?
I have seen the horizontal strip sign, the HC signs and the two different credit card signs before.

I was thinking the same thing; upon a further inspection it appears that they may be painted signs on wood. You can see the lighter part on the bottom which would indicate weathering. Cool looking station! cool

#559881 - Mon Aug 11 2014 04:55 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: 1937 GMC]
47reo-travis Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Fredericktown Missouri
Nice .

#559892 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:00 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: 47reo-travis]
petropumps Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oregon
Look like G&B 80 pumps in the 1st pic. Cool station.

#559893 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:04 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: petropumps]
fordlandia Offline

Based on the type of pumps and the cars in the photo, can you help me determine an approximate year that the photo of the service station might have been taken? That is, I suppose, a "not before" date?

Bill

#559895 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:31 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: fordlandia]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
I would date the photo somewhere in the late 30's early 40's judging from the cars and pumps.

#559902 - Mon Aug 11 2014 07:12 PM Re: Samuel's Garage Sinclair station in Salt Lake City [Re: Dave's Garage]
keithia Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: USA
That is one very cool station! At first I thought the pillars had Sinclair painted on them but in the larger photo you can see they are signs mounted to the pillar. Probably painted wood but maybe painted tin? I would take one either way!!

Edited by keithia (Mon Aug 11 2014 07:13 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved