Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#557869 Sun Aug 03 2014 04:05 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hi guys/gals.

I have been selling some of my signs and a couple old cars on eBay. I'm tired of the fees, I'm tired of the restrictions on leaving bad feedback for deadbeat buyers, I'm just basically tired of it. I sold a $5k sign and was charged $350 in fees! Ridiculous. So, rather than pay eBay to sell another sign, I'm investing the $$ into building a new auction site. It's going to be very simplistic. Simple fees, simple feedback, simple pay. It's specific only to vintage transportation and related. Mainly old cars, old motorcycles, and old car/motorcycle memorabilia (gas signs, oils signs, cans, etc...). No stores/classified listings, no bulk repop sellers, no ***** sellers from India, Argentina, etc... All repops will be clearly listed and in the repop section. Pricing: How's this sound? Car or bike listings are $2, memorabilia listings are $1. That's it. No other fees unless you choose an extra service. This will be a MUCH smaller community of sellers/buyers than eBay obviously, which means I can weed out the flakes and fraudsters. This will be a no BS auction site where your reputation will be everything and honesty is going to be crucial to your ability to buy/sell. I hope to see you there. Should be online next week and I will post a promo code for oldgas members for a week of free listings to try it out. Nothing is live yet, but it will be www.vintagegasaddict.com. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! lol.. I will be looking for feedback, but keep in mind this isn't going to be a huge operation like eBay. This is more like buying and selling signs in your garage.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Go For It!!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it sounds good... cool

RANDY
P
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'LL USE IT THANKS FOR STEPPING UP

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
HOPE TO SEE SOME 2 GALLONS!!!

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Sounds great! Ebay has gotten ridiculous. I won't sell any more vehicles on there and especially with a buy it now. Had 2 vehicles 3 months apart and someone did buy it not and said it was an accident. Well, there are several steps to complete a buy it now so I don't BUY what they said. Ebay refunded the final value fees the first time but wouldn't do it the second time. That was $350 out of my pocket. OUCH! looking forward to see what you get going.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Count me in, thanks

buy/sell and collect gas station items,
315 794 8265
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Something like that would be my preferred site to buy or sell.
Full support here.
I'll still participate regardless but my opinion would be to not have any reproduction whatsoever. Plenty of places to pick that rubbish up for those that want it. I suppose it's "buyer beware" in any case but I am so tired of having to question whether or not something's vintage or not.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Quote:
my opinion would be to not have any reproduction whatsoever.

I'm considering this. Might be the best way to go. Thanks for the thought.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't Wait!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOOD LUCK.
It's been tried several times & 1 guy Blamed oldgas, because his site Failed.
ebay does give oldgas a small referral fee for each winning bid that originated from oldgas search boxes, which helps to keep this a free site for all users.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good luck.

Unsure from your thread if you are planning on setting up an auction site or a items for sale site.

I'm just thinking out loud...tough to compete with e-Bay. The rare items that show up there are mind boggling. As a seller, the fee's are pretty reasonable for the amount of exposure afforded to the item.

Most people have limited computer time to search for items for sale. Can you get them to give up e-Bay time to come to your site? Can you get the sellers equal money for their items?? Tough to to have a pool of bidders as large as e-Bay does.

It costs a lot of money to run a legitimate business. Even for tax purposes, that's a lot transactions to keep track of. You would need a full time accountant/book keeper. Not to mention the software & hardware and the expertise and skill set to run such a online business.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would love to see it happen, but is this the original business concept you believed in enough to liquidate a large part of your collection for? (That's a rhetorical question, I have no desire to get into your personal affairs).

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good luck my friend!

Braden Splichal

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
After thinking about my initial post on this subject, perhaps I should not have referred to reproduction stuff as "rubbish". No offense was meant to the good people who produce and sell this category of product. My comment was a personal opinion and one that I did not clarify. For the most part, it's porcelain signage that bugs me....and particularly the sellers who do not represent them properly. But, even repop signs have a place for many who either can't, or do not want to afford the real thing....they are just not my preference. And for sure if it were not for reproduction gas pump and car parts, no end of restorations could not be completed. So yes, they do have a purpose and value in our hobbies. As far as this new site is concerned, it'd still be nice to find a place where only vintage pieces were available. It's the good stuff that is hard to obtain....new merchandise is readily available.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved