Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55643 Thu Dec 19 2002 05:28 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I have two antique fuel delivery tanks that are approx. 100 gallons each. The cast iron manhole covers are marked Clay & Bailey, Kansas City, Missouri. The tanks are elliptical shaped & are welded construction. Through limited research, I guess they can be no older than 1914 (when welding started being utilized in tank construction). Each tank measures 46 wide x 34 high x 21 long. There is a single outlet on the bottom of each with no funnel depression. Any info as to year & tank manufacturer and type of faucets used would be appreciated. (p.s.-tanks are not for sale) Thanks for any leads!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#55644 Fri Dec 20 2002 06:25 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Ken -

I don't believe I've ever encountered a tank such as you describe. Could you post a picture of it? It almost sounds as if it was intended to have been one compartment of a multi-compartment tank wagon (tank truck) tank, but was never joined with other compartments.

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#55645 Sun Dec 29 2002 10:08 PM
Ken sent in this image of his tanks:

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#55646 Mon Dec 30 2002 09:22 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Ken -

Two possibilites come to mind. These were either intended for use - singly - on small short-bodied trucks (such as Model A's), or they were to have been compartments which would been externally banded to make up a 4 or 5 compartment tank.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#55647 Mon Dec 30 2002 09:35 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thirty some years ago I ran a Cities Service bulk delivery truck and saw a lot of these tanks.In this part of the world farmers etc used them for outside storage of gas and diesel, usually mounted off the ground and some elevated overhead. I have one that was a overhead tank,about 6 ft. high. I also have a 3 compartment riveted tank made for wagon delivery. Both could be bought.

#55648 Mon Dec 30 2002 10:11 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks guys! I purchased the tanks from an antique farm implement dealer in the south side of Peoria, Illinois. He has tons of steel spoke wheels, plows, etc., so farm use of the tanks is quite possible. I plan to use them mounted to a Model T closed cab truck. They were externally banded together by the lack of magor rust on the ends where they would butt up to each other. By the way, the dealer (first name of Dewey) has a prefab sheetmetal gas station w/2 restrooms. He said he had a buyer for it, but unsure if the sale happened. This was last year this time, I believe a 30's era station. Approx. 18' square, rounded corners, flat roof.Feel free to pass along the info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved